PDA

View Full Version : Metroid Prime 2 Echoes Demo

fatcatfan
08-28-2004, 06:33 PM
Got my demo disc earlier this week and got around to playing today. Anyone else experienced it? Rather short, but that just means I get to take it nice and slow and look at everything very closely. I was kinda disappointed that the demo didn't come with its own case (only a plastic sleeve) but then it isn't as "big" as the Zelda Collector's Edition.

Anyway, in the very first area there's a door on a ledge to the left that is too high for normal jumping (you still have the space jump) but might be reachable by bomb-jumping or the special dash jump (http://www.metroid2002.com/techniques_dash_jump.php) techniques from Metroid Prime. I've experimented, and the technique still seems to work in the demo, but I was never any good at it and haven't managed to reach that ledge yet. Anyone else tried it?

Warlock
08-28-2004, 07:22 PM
I STILL havn't gotten my disk and they mailed saying it was coming almost two weeks ago -_-

DsS Game
08-28-2004, 07:38 PM
I haven't gotten my disk yet either. I find it rather dumb tho. My friend was talking about it earlier. About the 4 player thing. I find it stupid that there are 4 samus's trying to kill each other. -.-

Daywalker

fatcatfan
08-28-2004, 11:50 PM
I STILL havn't gotten my disk and they mailed saying it was coming almost two weeks ago -_-I think mine arrived 12 days after the email. You should have yours soon. I got the Zelda Disc just maybe 3 days after the email. :shrug:
I find it stupid that there are 4 samus's trying to kill each otherNot so stupid if you know what takes place in the story of Echoes.

For a minor spoiler, check out this video:

Minor spoiler (366 KB) - 6s (http://fatcatfan.spymac.net/dark-samus-intro.avi)
For a bigger spoiler, check this one out:

Major spoiler (3996 KB) - 24s (http://fatcatfan.spymac.net/dark-samus-battle.avi)Both videos were recorded from my demo disc. Both are 60FPS DivX files with no audio. The first is a cut-scene you see while playing the demo. The second is not something you get to play in the demo, but if you let it sit at the title screen you will eventually see this demo sequence. The movement and attack of the enemy in the second video is suspiciously (though not really surprisingly) familiar.

Warlock
08-28-2004, 11:56 PM
I think mine arrived 12 days after the email. You should have yours soon. I got the Zelda Disc just maybe 3 days after the email.

I hope so.. I'm also hoping it's sent to the right address. Nintendo's whole bonus disk system is a little screwy (got confused w/ the Zelda CE too) where it uses your pre-existing order address to send to, but then says "You can make changes to this by going to the order page" but AFTER you complete everything. It's just kind of hard to tell if it's getting sent to the changed address or not since there is absolutely no confirmation.

Grasshopper
08-29-2004, 12:17 AM
I checked it out from where I work, I had problems playing it. The disc didn't look scratched up, but it caused my system to click and then it gave me a disc read error. Happened upon landing the ship, I didn't even get out of the first room, then it done it once more soon after arriving in the dark side of Aether.. I just gave it up. I figure I'll get to see it sooner or later this November.

vegeta1215
08-29-2004, 01:16 AM
I got an email saying it was mailed and should reach my house soon. It'll probably be there when I get home from my summer house. I'm still debating whether I want to play the demo disc though...I got it because I like getting free stuff, but I'd also like to wait and be surprised when I buy the game (there was no way I wasn't going to get it)

So it just comes in a sleeve? That's cool. Maybe I can get a dual-disc case for Metroid Prime 2 and keep the bonus disc with the game.

I hope so.. I'm also hoping it's sent to the right address. Nintendo's whole bonus disk system is a little screwy (got confused w/ the Zelda CE too) where it uses your pre-existing order address to send to, but then says "You can make changes to this by going to the order page" but AFTER you complete everything.

I've been a subscriber of NP for a long time, and when I tried to sign up on Nintendo's website, they told me I already had an account! Apparantly one got created for me because of my subscription. It's cool though, cause it has a record of all my bonus gifts I've gotten, and they email me when I'm eligible for things. I haven't had any problems yet.

Jakq
08-29-2004, 11:39 AM
I got it. Spent a good 20 minutes on it. Its cool.

fatcatfan
08-29-2004, 05:11 PM
I'm still debating whether I want to play the demo disc though...I got it because I like getting free stuff, but I'd also like to wait and be surprised when I buy the game (there was no way I wasn't going to get it)It really doesn't show you much, or spoil it, though there were a few things I didn't know about that you see in the demo sequence that play if you sit at the title screen. But then I haven't been reading anything about MP2. If anything this demo disc is just a teaser. The demo sequences, as I recall, show two new Samus moves, a new morphball device, one interesting visor mode which may also have been demonstrating a blaster upgrade. If you saw the "best" ending of MP, then the one other thing won't be a surprise.

So it just comes in a sleeve?Yup.

MottZilla
08-30-2004, 12:58 AM
I'd rather not see/play the demo, because if I do I'll just want more which isn't available. I prefer to wait for the full game.

Orion
08-30-2004, 02:02 PM
I'm not getting the demo either. I'd rather take it in all at once :D

But when I ordered my Zelda Collector's edition disk, it took FOREVER to get here. It seems Nintendo is a little slow about it. I emailed them and they gave me a date by which it should arrive. It did not. I emailed them again, and they said they would send me a new one, so long as I returned the original should it eventually arrive. A week later I got my disk. A week after that I got a second disk.

Warlock
08-30-2004, 05:52 PM
Finally got it today. Lot of fun ;) I didn't watch the preview movie but I think I looked at almost everything else. The chronology thing is kinda lame. Mostly sllooooooowwwwwwllllllyyyy scrolling manual stories w/ gameplay footage in the bg. The art gallery was cool (but I wish I could scroll it manually rather than having to sit there and watch the whole thing).

Demo was very cool too. I do hope they make changes (and I think they will, they did w/ Prime) when the retail ships tho. There was almost no exposition, particularly explaining how I suddently had the Light and Dark cannons (maybe this was only for the demo, but there were doors and stuff that NEEDED these so unless the demo starts later in the game, I dunno). Other stuff was presented on a sort of "well you should already know this by now" basis too like the dualaity of the planet and soforth.

DsS Game
08-31-2004, 04:51 PM
those vids dont seem to work for me. Either my connection is slow or your host said no linking of vids. =\

Daywalker

fatcatfan
08-31-2004, 09:59 PM
I was able to get them from a dialup connection. Right-click and save as, save on your harddrive before trying to play. You also must have the DivX 5.11 (or later) codec.

vegeta1215
09-06-2004, 02:25 AM
I finally played my bonus disc today, it's pretty neat. I like the Metroid series retrospective. The art gallery was cool too, though like Warlock mentioned, I wish you could scroll through it like the art galleries in Metroid Prime instead of having to watch a slide show. The demo was cool too, esp the effects of the Light and Dark Beams, but I wish it were longer :( That part where you see the "Dark Hunter" appear and run off in another direction was such a teaser! How cruel of them to block off the path!

It looks like there will be lots of scanning in this game as well, but unlike the first one, none of the scannable items appeared as orange boxes while wearing the scan visor in the demo - they just change to a glowing color. I don't know about you, but although those orange boxes were ugly, it was easier to spot the things to scan.

I'm sure they'll make a few tweaks before the game comes out. Either way, I'm excited. More Metroid, yay!

UPDATE: That blue door in the first room (where Samus's ship is) may be reachable by a jumping glitch, but from what I can see standing at various points in the room, it is a closed shutter door, which you can't open.

mikeron
09-08-2004, 02:50 PM
Anyway, in the very first area there's a door on a ledge to the left that is too high for normal jumping (you still have the space jump) but might be reachable by bomb-jumping or the special dash jump (http://www.metroid2002.com/techniques_dash_jump.php) techniques from Metroid Prime. I've experimented, and the technique still seems to work in the demo, but I was never any good at it and haven't managed to reach that ledge yet. Anyone else tried it?Wow, that site is awesome. I didn't realize there was so much sequence breaking potential in MP. I now have a reason to start playing again, starting with "space jump first". :thumbsup:

/offtopic
//been going to fark too much

DsS Game
09-09-2004, 12:31 AM
Well I still dont have the disk but I've seen the vids finally and I'm convinced that Dark Samus is that phazon suit from part one just from that entrance.

Daywalker

fatcatfan
09-17-2004, 04:35 PM
right, it's pretty obvious when you see the battle video that Dark Samus moves and attacks very similar to the final form of MP.