PDA

View Full Version : Mouse v. Trackball (With bonus E/N story!)

AtmaWeapon
08-28-2004, 04:57 PM
I've been using a Logitech MX500 forever. It's a great mouse, especially on the Ratpadz GS mousepad. (unfortunately the Ratpadz GS is made of materials inferior to the original Ratpadz and wears out in about 3 months of use) The mouse is an extension of my body. Not only does the mouse fit my hand perfectly, but I can nail a checkbox from any position in one move with about 90% accuracy.

However, the past few months have been quite painful for me. Because of the hours I now work, there's not much to do but sit on the computer when I get home. So in a typical day, I spend about 14 hours at the computer. My wrists and elbows have been killing me, and I'm trying to fix that. I have one of those stupid carpal tunnel braces and it works, but I also tend to make it too tight and I wake up with numb digits. I realized yesterday that when I move the mouse, I don't move my arm, but my wrist. It seems this is not what you are supposed to do. I figured it would be easier to break the habit if I bought a trackball mouse, so I did. I got a Logitech Trackman Optical. I liked the way the Microsoft Intelliball or whatever fit my hand, but the ball was a lot harder to move around than on the Logitech one.

So far, it's very comfortable and I'm quickly gaining accuracy. Sticking the cursor in precise places is kind of tough, but in 10 minutes or so I'm having less trouble so I think I just need to bond with the mouse. I wonder how games play with it...

Anyway, who has a preference between mouse and trackball? I still like the mouse better, but the trackball is growing on me.

Gerudo
08-28-2004, 05:02 PM
i prefer an optical mouse. i bought a trackball, and ended up giving it to my bro. he's used it ever since... i have a MicroInnovations Optical Mouse i paid 14 bucks for... (you cant really see the MI logo anymore, thats how long ive had it / used it)

i am also quite good at navigating windows with a keyboard.

Glitch
08-28-2004, 08:45 PM
Wireless optical mouse. I lub it. $30 black logitech one.

SixTen
08-28-2004, 10:16 PM
I have a wireless optical HP mouse. It's pretty good. I also have a WACOM tablet, but I don't use ti as much, mosly when I want to use that little pen that comes with it in photoshop is all.

ShadowTiger
08-28-2004, 10:33 PM
Trackball. I've had trackballs running around my house (Rather than mice. Get it? Heh. :sweat: ) for quite a few years now. Probably around ten years. My 386 still has one. I remember using it to play Warcraft II, and I also remember having that one for a looong time. :rolleyes:

But now I'm addicted. :shrug: I use mice all the time wherever there isn't one, but for some reason, whenever I have a choice between a mouse or a (familiar) trackball, I usually go for the trackball. But I can't stand when the little trackball ball itself, is very small. there are models in which everything but the ball, is huge! The ball is so small compared to the whole thing. So sad.

AtmaWeapon
08-28-2004, 11:04 PM
Wacom tablet is on my wish list, I saw a 4x6 Graphire at CompUSA today. <3

Gerudo
08-29-2004, 02:46 AM
i want one of those WACOM tablets as well... so l337...