PDA

View Full Version : Forest / Trees

Reflectionist
08-21-2004, 09:29 PM
Hey, does anyone want to help me with my quest by producing a couple of forests for me? I'm not very good at this at all. I'm very good at making caves, though, if anybody would like some for their quest,

Thanks

Espo
08-21-2004, 10:09 PM
i'm sorry... are you having trouble with landscaping??? The main difference between forests and caves is the tiles you use. I'm sure that if you are good with caves you will do quite well with forests. The trick with forests is layers. I suggest you practice with layers cause they are quite helpful.

ZTC
08-22-2004, 01:54 AM
Hey, does anyone want to help me with my quest by producing a couple of forests for me? I'm not very good at this at all. I'm very good at making caves, though, if anybody would like some for their quest,

Thanks

What kind of forrests are you trying to do; the kind that's in Zelda 3 with the layered effect, or forrests like the orignal Gamboy Zelda?

Reflectionist
08-22-2004, 04:00 PM
Zelda Three.

But, I want it to be a huge forest, spanning most of southern Hyrule like in LoZ. My Overworld (as you kno, cyborg) is gonna have a swamp in the bottom of it, and the forest is gonna just melt into that and lake Hylia, it's also going to go around to the forest of maze in LoZ, where those trees below kakariko in Lttp is.

Basically, I need the Lost Woods from OoT and LttP, but connected to look like one big forest. please.

I'm working on a completely new overworld though, so I'm just looking for an example to go by.

Like, if I d/l the 184 player, and tried to mimic that zelda 1 overworld exactly.

working with layers ends in confusion, frustration, and panic for me, it's a total disaster.

Cloral
08-22-2004, 05:55 PM
I find the best way to do forests is to first plan out the passages you want. Using a single tile to mark out the edges generally works well. Then you can just fill in the solid areas with trees. This will look a bit artificial, so you'll want to roughen up the edges a bit and scatter some trees in the passageways. You'll be surprised how quickly this can start to look very good.

BTW, if you're using large trees (even the 2x2 trees), you'll want to stagger them every other row to make them look less uniform. For instance, if you use the gameboy style trees (which btw seem to be the best size for the screen area we have to work with), you'll want to lay out the bases like this:

[][][][]
[][][][]
[][][][]

HTH

ShadowTiger
08-22-2004, 10:54 PM
A very good idea. ;) Additionally, if you have different kinds of trees, you may wish to vary them in both variety and color. Very useful.