PDA

View Full Version : Crashes at startup. . .

The Jeta King
08-21-2004, 02:59 PM
Hey all,
I installed ZC yesterday, and I got it working. Today, however, it refuses to cooperate. When I try to start zelda-w.exe, I get the Windows error, "zelda-w has encountered a problem and needs to close." Starting ZQuest doesn't give me this problem, just Zelda-W.exe. Any ideas of how to fix this?

Thanks in advance. :)

*b*
08-21-2004, 03:18 PM
are you a computer admin? in order to get ZC to work, you have to be if you're using Windows XP

Orion
08-21-2004, 03:22 PM
I have occasionally had this problem on XP but it fixed itself, so there has to be some condition on your computer that makes this happen (I don't know what though).

It also happened on Windows 98, however, it didn't have the error message. It simply opened and closed again.

ZTC
08-21-2004, 03:49 PM
First, what version are you usin? Second, are you running windowed mode, or full-screen mode?

The Jeta King
08-21-2004, 08:41 PM
*b* - I am logged on as the administrator. I do not have seperate users names on this computer :)

The Cyborg - I downloaded version 1.92 beta 184. As for your second question, I am running full-screen mode. However, I did try the windowed mode, and I still get the same message. Wierd. :odd:

ZTC
08-22-2004, 01:36 AM
You've got me stumped. :shrug:
If it was b183, I would have told you to run it in windowed mode, but I had that problem in b183, and it was fixed in b184. Well, I tried. :(

*b*
08-22-2004, 02:10 AM
um, make sure you have zelda-w installed on the C drive. any other drive will make it not work

ZTC
08-22-2004, 02:20 AM
That's just weird.
Why is that?

Freedom
08-22-2004, 02:34 AM
try opening zquest and playing a midi so it can write you an ag.cfg file.

elise
08-22-2004, 04:16 AM
um, make sure you have zelda-w installed on the C drive. any other drive will make it not work

I have all of my Zelda on the D drive never had any problem with that

Darkrel
08-22-2004, 12:09 PM
I have the same problem, msg me if you fiqure it out.

*b*
08-22-2004, 03:06 PM
that's odd. for me, even as a computer admin, placing ZC on my D drive and setting a shortcut to my desktop, ZC will not work. TJK, my suggestion for you is just, keep installing Windows' Updates

Cyborg, I think it's because Windows XP has a screwy file system. maybe the newer betas work like that, I haven't tried it

ZTC
08-22-2004, 06:42 PM
that's odd. for me, even as a computer admin, placing ZC on my D drive and setting a shortcut to my desktop, ZC will not work. TJK, my suggestion for you is just, keep installing Windows' Updates

Cyborg, I think it's because Windows XP has a screwy file system. maybe the newer betas work like that, I haven't tried it
Well, I don't use XP. The only OS I'm running(till I get Linux :D ) is Win 98SE,
cause my computer WILL NOT EVEN HANDLE IT! :mad:
It's an old P1 MMX @ 233MHZ, my most powerful system :rolleyes:

The Jeta King
08-22-2004, 07:34 PM
Hmm... This computer is brand new, and it has HTT (hyper threading technology), maybe that is the problem? I know that some programs are not compatible with HTT (Magic Workstation comes to mind. . .), but that does not explain why it worked the first few times I tried it. I will try to download an earlier version and see if that helps. I will post when I am done. :D

--
I looked at the error message again, and I decided to copy and paste the top here:

AppName: zelda-w.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: alleg41.dll
ModVer: 4.1.9.0 Offset: 0007c89d

What this means I do not know. Perhaps it cannot find alleg41.dll? I see it right in its folder, so I do not know what it would not be able to find it.

I just got version 1.92 183 installed, and it works. However, remember that the other version worked when I installed it but then stopped. This is pretty wierd. :scared:

--
I am really not liking this older version. I have played it for no more than an hour and a half, and it crashed twice on me. I am trying to redownload the most current version - hopefully it will help. :shrug:

Freedom
08-22-2004, 10:11 PM
were you looking at the map when it crashed?
If you look a second time it crashes in 183 and before.
If so, that is a bug that has been fixed in the 184 player.

Deviance
08-22-2004, 10:42 PM
Well here is my advice. Make sure the file sizes are correct. Cause a virus may of screwed it up. I had this problem when I didn't know I had the W32.pinfi virus on my pc. Plus reinstalling my do the trick.