PDA

View Full Version : Oceanside's newest SSBM Champion!

ShadowTiger
08-18-2004, 09:01 PM
Today, a good friend of my family invited us to her boyfriend's birthday party. She asked me to bring a few various supplies for the gamecube. (Two controllers, and a memory card, complete with nearly a save slot for SSBM with nearly 100% unlocked / attained. Though I never did need to use that memory card, since his turned out to be functional after all. He claimed he had dropped it on a magnet. Ouch.) The "boyfriend," Matt, (Last name's spelling not 100% verified, so I'll omit it.) was a tester for SSBM and Soul Calibur II, so they tell me.

The room was full of people who claimed to be an expert at SSBM, virtually undefeated. I was a bit scared, as I didn't come here to win, just to have fun, with some human opponents. Seeing them win would have made them happy, therefore, myself happy as well. (Odd logic, but it's true, and it works. :shrug: ) So I was asking everyone who their favorite SSBM character was, and everyone gave their opinions on them. All were duly noted. (For example, Marth is faster than Roy, but Roy is more powerful, and Zelda is a great character to play because she has Shiek, and is a great counter to most any person.)

I just chose Link, because I spend a lot of time playing as him. I always choose Link. Although I spend a lot of time practicing with each other character, (Except Bowser. I just can't stand Bowser. :sweat: ) Link just flows like I do.

When it was Mike's turn to face me, I turned off all items, and made it a 3 Stock match, on Hyrule Temple. (Held R beforehand, of course, for the intensified effect. ;) :D ) He was Shiek. I was Link in a blue tunic.

I owned him Three to Zero.

So I seem to have defeated all of Oceanside, NY's greatest SSBM champions, all gathered in one room. I am my area's unnofficial SSBM Champion. I would say it feels great, but I made all those other guys and girls (There was this one girl who was IMMENSELY good at Yoshi, and rolling. She scared me. @_@ ) feel a bit worse about their own skill. :-/

Sorry to seem boastful. It'll probably be my only time I'll get to boast like this. Champion. Wow. Practice does pay off. :)

Archibaldo
08-18-2004, 11:08 PM
Wow, hard to believe that you beat the "champion" of Oceanside. Did you ever find out if he really was a tester for SSBM?

vegeta1215
08-18-2004, 11:09 PM
Cool man :thumbsup:

Unless they those guys also unlocked everything on SSBM, you had a big advantage - unlocking all those things is not an easy task, and attempting to do so builds up your skills immensly. I almost have them all. I only need three more trophies.

Man, I wish I had friends that played Smash Bros Melee. A lot of my friends that come over to play Gamecube have never played it before, and I feel bad smashing the heck out of them.

MottZilla
08-18-2004, 11:18 PM
FYI, memory cards do NOT use magnetism to store data. Memory cards tend to use FlashRoms.

Anyways, back in the day when I used to play friends in games I always killed them so bad. Esspecially in games like GoldenEye and Perfect Dark. It is fun to destroy your friends in games. Anyways, congrats I guess, but you shoulda played Soul Calibur 2, such a better game.

By the way, tester for SSBM and SC2? That doesn't make sense to me. Both games were made in japan, and by different companies. Being a tester for both doesn't seem too likely.

goKi
08-18-2004, 11:57 PM
Excellent, awesome work. If it were possible, playing a skilled player would be great. I've taken out an Unreal Tournament 2004 Competition in this city, which is the only gaming comp i've won.

ShadowTiger
08-20-2004, 10:30 AM
Awesome, congrats, Goki. ;) :thumbsup: That was much more official than what I did, but still... Damn. The big leagues. The ability to conquer all. The proclamation of grandeur and skill traunced by an actual expert. Nobody here actually knows how good the other person is. Nobody really knows how good they are in comparison to the others, because no one has seen them play.

I suppose someone with which to compare themselves to would have to be the Nickotine. Let'see.. what was that URL... Okay. Take a look Here (http://ssbm.homelinux.net/video/wossbm/musvid/NickotineII.wmv). (You can find the mainpage Here (http://www.angelfire.com/games5/ssbm/movies/music.html). Also note the music on the first link, which are Fear Factory: Timelessness, and Replica, respectively. Awesome music. ...... Crud. I have reason to believe that these Links don't work. *Sigh* Gotta look up some more then. >_<

MottZilla
08-20-2004, 02:45 PM
BH4, Unreal Tournament is played online for years now, ofcourse you know how good people are. ;p If you have a decent connection/ping you can get killed by them in person.