PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex 2 (PC): Extreme Installation Dilemmas.

ShadowTiger
08-16-2004, 08:35 PM
Have any of you ever played Deus Ex? (I probably did not even need to ask. :p ) You all know that it's one of the most engrossing games ever made. Well, I went off to purchase the sequel to this game, (Which I honestly heard nothing of its release, and was quite surprised to see it on store shelves, and for so cheap, too. $20, $17 for my copy that I found.)

I tried to install it today, not even three hours after I had purchased it in a mall 7 miles from my home.

Two thirds into the installation, after submitting to three switchings of CD's the installation, it had asked me for a Datacab4, or something like that. After switching the CD's numerous times, (There were only two.) I discovered to my dismay, that there is no such file on either CD. ...

I have no other recourse than to either try the Install again, hoping it does not ask for such a thing, (But that is unlikely, as why would it ask such a thing in the first place, if it was just an error? :odd: ) ... or I can look for a 600 MB patch. ... XD (56K user.)

Has anyone else here seen such an error with their copy? :shrug: I would be very grateful to see this to a solution. I paid money for it. Real Money! :eek: (Exaggerated to show how little I like to spend it.)

Thanks. :)

Yoshiman
08-16-2004, 10:08 PM
Hmm... I did a Google search on this, and it seems that several other people are having similar problems. But I haven't been able to find a solution. The closest thing I came up with was this:

I receive a "xxxxxx.xxx not found" error message when installing or running Deus Ex.

This error message is usually the result of your computer using MS-DOS (16-bit) drivers instead of Windows 95 (32-bit) drivers for your CD-ROM drive. You can easily check to see if this is causing problems by opening the CONTROL PANEL (either click on the "My Computer" icon or click on the START button followed by "Settings," then "Control Panel"). In the Control Panel window, double-click on the "System" icon then click on the "Performance" tab. You should now see a summary of the performance status of your computer. One of the lines should say "File System: 32-bit" and the last line should say "Your system is configured for optimal performance." If you see a message saying "Drive X is using MS-DOS compatibility mode," then you will need to contact your system vendor to obtain and install 32-bit drivers for your CD-ROM drive.

Source (http://de2.filefront.com/file.info?ID=10820)

I'm not sure if this helps or not, but it's worth a try. :shrug:

ShadowTiger
08-16-2004, 10:34 PM
Thanks. :) I did see that though, but that isn't an option. That's already on 32, the right way.

I looked on the underside of the game disc, and there's a rather intricate crack in it. I believe the disc to be irrepairable. I will have to go back (the 7 miles :sweat; ) to the mall to get a new disc. :shrug: (Then again, I'll also have the chance to complain to the store. :p )