PDA

View Full Version : Question about chests...

Artemis251
08-16-2004, 06:53 PM
I've read some guides and tutorials on ZC, but I still have trouble with this one. So, I have a room that creates a chest after pushing blocks in a certain pattern. Here's how I did it:

I set all the blocks in place and used block triggers. The under combo is the dungeon floor. I made secret tile 16 into a chest with the special ability of "slash" (hold ctrl and set extra flag, you know). I put an open chest tile on the last place in "misc." under secret combos so the empty chest shows up when the player slashes the chest. I set the room type to "Sp. Item" and set the item as "Arrow". Also, the chest tile is "Slash->Item" and the closed is nothing.

Now, here're the problems:

1. The item won't show up. Now and then I get a small heart, but not the arrows.

2. When I leave and come back, the blocks reset and I suspect that even if I make the chest work, the item will come back again, too. This doesn't happen on my overworld map...Should I single out the room and make it it's own DMap as an overworld, then set some side warps? Or would that create a hole in my Dungeon Map where there should be a room?

Here's what I've tried:

1. I set the chest as "slash". Nothing.

2. I tried to make the chest tile "overhead". This worked for the most part, but players could get the item by just walking up to the bottom of the chest and not even have to open it, even though I set it as completely unwalkable.

I've read a tutorial that says that chests and things with under combos (like blocks) cannot be in the same room. Is this true? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Freedom
08-16-2004, 06:59 PM
try this....

put a slash=item chest in secret combo slot 16, and hold Ctrl and click on 16 and choose armos=item as the secondary flag.
set the open chest in undercombo
place flag 16 on the screen
room type special item.
choose special item.

NOW, you'll need to put your floor on layer 1 and the block and flags on layer 0, when you do this the floor will be hiding the block in the zquest editor but it will be above the floor in the game, this will take care of the undercombo problema caused by pushing the blocks, in the spot where the chest is DON'T cover by layer 1.

this should work.

idontknow
08-16-2004, 07:05 PM
Yes, push blocks and slashable treasure chests can not be placed in the same room for the simple fact that you can only have one type of undercombo for such things. When you set the undercombo to the ground that the push block should be going over, then the treasure chest, when slashed, will simply look like the ground when slashed. If you set the undercombo to the opened treasure chest, then the treasure chest, once slashed, will work appropriately, but copies of the opened chest will appear wherever the push blocks are pushed.

-With regards to the item not appearing, in order for an item to appear in such a treasure chest, you need to set the room type to "special item" and then set the special item for that room..and then you must place flag #10, "Armos->Item" on the closed treasure chest combo (which is a "slash" or "slash->item" combo type)

The slash combo makes it so you can slash a combo. The slash->item combo makes it so that in addition, a single rupee or heart may randomly spawn at that space when slashed. If an armos-.>item flag is placed on this combo, the special item set for the room will appear there for the first time instead.

As for the push blocks resetting, they always reset on a room, just as all secrets of any kind reset after leaving the screen of a dungeon dmap.