PDA

View Full Version : About Freeform Dungeons and a side question about enemy colors

sheru
08-15-2004, 08:06 AM
Alright, I need some help with freeform dungeons. I've taken the time to create the tiles I needed for the dungeon. The doors I tried to replace look great... except for one thing. The first tiles look fine, but the ones on the edge of the map Link walks under completely. I need a way to make it that link only wallks under a certain part of the tile (namely the over hang, not the floor under it). Do I need to make the tile not have a floor tile under it to make it work right (i.e. the black square with x's) or is there a way to allow there to be under and over tiles?

If it's a more advanced function of zquest, I'd like to hear about it... probally won't use it since after all, still on my first quest, so I don't expect everything to be perfect, but it would be nice to know for the future.

Second point, Is there a way that I can tell Zquest to use a certain palette for a certain monster. For example, I've replaced Stafos with the two handed darknut. They look great, but I don't want them to be the red darknut they display as (actually since there really stafos, I'd like to hint at that fact and make them white and black and gray). Also, if there is a way, is there a way to make it that the same monster will show up as a different color on different screens/dmaps? Sort of like how some tiles show up when mixed with the level palette or are they set in stone? For that regard, if it's capable I'd like different monsters to appear to be in different groups in different dungeons/castles/caves, etc. Such as darknuts from one castle having a different uniform than darknuts in another castle.

Espo
08-24-2004, 01:35 PM
So the way to do what you want to do is to make the overhang tile about half the tile size and fill the rest of the tile with transparency. Then put your floor tiles on layer 0 and the overhang tile on layer 3 or above. This will make it look like half the tile is over link while he is still walking on top of the floor tiles.

Second. The enemies use whatever PALETTE the dmap uses. A given enemy, however, is assigned to use a certain CSET and that CSET for that enemy is not settable. It is necessary to get this terminology straight. A dmap defines its color as a certain PALETTE. The pallette is made up of 16 CSETs. The CSETs are used for the same things regardless of the PALETTE but they will contain different colors depending on the PALETTE. For instance (I don't know what cset is for what by the way) CSET X may be used for link when he has the blue ring. X will always do that no matter what PALETTE your dmap uses. Same for enemies. The only option is to change the colors in that CSET or to recolor the tile using preexisting colors in that CSET. Now you can get tricky and make a new palette that has all the same cset colors as the palette you want to use except for the enemy's cset. Be aware that other enemies will probably use that cset and they will change color accordingly. This is also a danger when recoloring csets in existing palettes.

It's a little confusing but I hope it helps.