PDA

View Full Version : GBA games

Jakq
08-14-2004, 01:03 PM
In the next 3 months, I will be getting 6 gba games for myself, and one for a friend. Tell me what you guys think of these titles.

Famicom Mini Volume 21: SMB2j
Pokemon Leaf Green
Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories
Super Mario Advance
Super Mario Advance 3
Classic NES Series Zelda II: Adventure of Link

And then for aces, I am getting Pokemon Fire Red.

*b*
08-14-2004, 01:34 PM
don't bother with Pokemon. they're just remakes of Red and Blue, from what I can tell, anyway. other than that, it looks like a good lineup

Jakq
08-14-2004, 01:36 PM
Thats why I want them. They are more than just remakes. They have wireless capabilities, it lets me get my old faves into the ruby/sapphire world, and my gf is getting Fire Red. And I am getting Fire Red for a friend. :P

blue kirby
08-14-2004, 01:49 PM
Those are some good choices!

I already own red, but I'm going to get either fire red or leaf green anyway. I think it'll have new levels, too.

vegeta1215
08-14-2004, 02:21 PM
Thats why I want them. They are more than just remakes. They have wireless capabilities, it lets me get my old faves into the ruby/sapphire world, and my gf is getting Fire Red. And I am getting Fire Red for a friend. :P

They are mainly just remakes, but at some point in the game (possibly after you defeat the Elite Four), you can travel to this set of 8 or so islands, which are brand new areas that have Pokemon from Ruby/Sapphire available to catch.

I have yet to play a Pokemon game since Pokemon Gold. That game was so good (and huge since you could go back to Kanto), and the internal clock and timed events made it such a blast. I can't believe they didn't continue that in the newer games, which is one of the main reasons why I haven't picked up Ruby/Sapphire.

btw, Super Mario Advance (with Super Mario Bros 2) is a really good game. I never got into SMB 2 until I played it. Now I have a totally new appreciation for the game. The Yoshi Egg Hunt is really fun addition too ;)

the_flying_kid
08-14-2004, 02:37 PM
i got the super mario advance games and they are ok. do you know if the wireless thing can be used for the old gameboy games that use the infrared thing?

Grasshopper
08-14-2004, 02:39 PM
Pokemon Fire Red/Leaf Green is an updated remake of Pokemon Red/Green The reason for that is because all the old pokemon from the Gameboy games are incompatible with the new Gameboy Advance games, Ruby and Sapphire. The main game is the remake with all the pokemon from the Red/Green versions. After you beat them, you can travel to the Rainbow Islands which will house pokemon from Gold and Silver. Not Ruby and Sapphire. This way, you now can collect the original pokemon from the earlier Gameboy games and trade with Ruby and Sapphire. If you're a pokemon fan who wants ALL the pokemon, then you HAVE to get these games because there's no other way you'll be able to get all them all. :)

As for the wireless adapator, and can not be used for any games unless the game supports it. A few of the games I know are the two new Pokemon games, Mario Golf: Advance Tour, and Dr Mario from the Classic Series.

Pangolin
08-14-2004, 04:13 PM
Famicom Mini Volume 21: SMB2j : Spiffy
Pokemon Leaf Green: Pokemon blue in my eyes. Spiffy though not much point if you have the original.
Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories: Its an RPG. Speaks for itself. Who cares if its got disney in it!?!?
Super Mario Advance: Wouldnt rate it...
Super Mario Advance 3: Ditto
Classic NES Series Zelda II: Adventure of Link: Not as good as the original but spiffy nonetheless.

Same goes as leaf green for fire red though I see why you're getting it for him/her.

MottZilla
08-14-2004, 09:00 PM
I need to get either Pokemon Green or Red sometime, but they are still exspensive for GBA games. Something like 35$ or 40$. I got Mega Man BN3 for 15$ not too long ago new. And I think Metroid Zero was only 30$.

Anyways, SMA3, isn't that super mario world? I guess that's ok, I'd rather get SMA4 though, which I believe is Super Mario Bros. 3. ;) Those are the only 2 you named that I think are world it though. I don't really like the classic series much. I'd have to REALLY like an old game so much that I need it portable to fork out some 20$ for it.

Warlock
08-14-2004, 09:25 PM
I need to get either Pokemon Green or Red sometime, but they are still exspensive for GBA games. Something like 35$ or 40$. I got Mega Man BN3 for 15$ not too long ago new. And I think Metroid Zero was only 30$.

Anyways, SMA3, isn't that super mario world? I guess that's ok, I'd rather get SMA4 though, which I believe is Super Mario Bros. 3. ;) Those are the only 2 you named that I think are world it though. I don't really like the classic series much. I'd have to REALLY like an old game so much that I need it portable to fork out some 20$ for it.

SMA3 is Yoshi's Island. I never understood the facination w/ that game tho, I always thought it sucked..

vegeta1215
08-14-2004, 11:29 PM
SMA3 is Yoshi's Island. I never understood the facination w/ that game tho, I always thought it sucked..

Aww man, Yoshi's Island is such a blast. I think one thing that makes it appealing is all the cartoony and colorful environments. But, it is very challenging and has some really cool bosses. (not too mention playing for 100% on each level to unlock the bonus stages is really tough!) The only bad thing about the game is Baby Mario's cry is really annoying...but that's why you have to get good at it, so you never lose him!

Warlock
08-15-2004, 12:09 AM
I dunno.. yeah, I didn't mind the graphics. I thought they were interesting and good in general. I think one thing I didn't like was the overall control scheme tho. It just kinda had an ackward attack system and the whole baby mario aspect where if you got hit you had to run after him (or endure his annoying screams) was kinda annoying.

I don't know what it is, but the gameplay just overall seemed much slower compared to games like Super Mario World which I think was much superior (one of my favorite Mario games). And the difficulty thing like you mentioned.. it's fine when games are hard, but this one bordered on the frustrating/hard line which I didn't like. There were a lot of secrets and bonus crap that require you to still have something from the beginning of the level or something unobvious as well.. it's just the whole game ;0 heh.. I dunno..

Jakq
08-15-2004, 12:47 AM

LOL, SMA2 is SMW, which I own. SMA4 is SMB3, which I own. SMA3 is Yoshis Island.

EDIT I just decided, instead of SMA3, for now, I will likely buy a copy of DOOM if i can find it. :evil:

ZTC
08-15-2004, 01:54 AM
I dunno.. yeah, I didn't mind the graphics. I thought they were interesting and good in general. I think one thing I didn't like was the overall control scheme tho. It just kinda had an ackward attack system and the whole baby mario aspect where if you got hit you had to run after him (or endure his annoying screams) was kinda annoying.

I don't know what it is, but the gameplay just overall seemed much slower compared to games like Super Mario World which I think was much superior (one of my favorite Mario games). And the difficulty thing like you mentioned.. it's fine when games are hard, but this one bordered on the frustrating/hard line which I didn't like. There were a lot of secrets and bonus crap that require you to still have something from the beginning of the level or something unobvious as well.. it's just the whole game ;0 heh.. I dunno..

Well,it was an odd game, but the SNES version(which I have) has an excellent controll scheme, and sometimes it gets crazy fast :evil: , though, I hated the screams. As for being hard, it is a tough challenge, and for fun I used Game Giene Codes, heh.

Warlock
08-15-2004, 03:11 AM
Well,it was an odd game, but the SNES version(which I have) has an excellent controll scheme, and sometimes it gets crazy fast :evil: , though, I hated the screams. As for being hard, it is a tough challenge, and for fun I used Game Giene Codes, heh.

I don't believe in game genie codes unless they do something cool/crazy like some of the ones for the original SMB that scrambled the world tile locations and made some cool new worlds to play in :) I think my favorite was the one that put you in some later level as lvl 1, and then you'd climb a vine into level 1-4 but it used the underground tileset, so the lava was blue (water), the walls were breakable blocks and there were no enemies.. I used to call it Bowser's abandoned castle :)

Jakq
08-15-2004, 09:14 AM
Nah, I will just get SMA3. It sounds funner than doom, which I can just play on my pc.

ZTC
08-17-2004, 02:44 AM
I don't believe in game genie codes unless they do something cool/crazy like some of the ones for the original SMB that scrambled the world tile locations and made some cool new worlds to play in :) I think my favorite was the one that put you in some later level as lvl 1, and then you'd climb a vine into level 1-4 but it used the underground tileset, so the lava was blue (water), the walls were breakable blocks and there were no enemies.. I used to call it Bowser's abandoned castle :)
Where can I find the codes for those effects?
And speaking of crazy effects, if you have Final Fight for the SNES, before you turn it on hold the L and R trigger buttons down. While doing that, turn the system on, and if odd graphics appears in the layers, the trick worked! It also affects the boss energy bar so that it is near impossible to see how much more of a beating he needs :evil:
As for the Game Giene codes for that game, it was non-compatable, but certain code combos made the first boss impossible to kill! :odd:

MottZilla
08-17-2004, 03:41 PM
I'm with you Warlock, I never got the Yoshi's Island deal. It wasn't that great of a game in my opinion. I'd rather SMW, or SMB3.