PDA

View Full Version : Please help me!

Reflectionist
08-08-2004, 09:04 PM
Okay, I have no idea what I'm doing building this quest, I planned everything out, I know what I want to do, but I started, and everything snowballed around me. My dmaps are confusing, and everything is just going wrong. Can anybody take it off of me to just... look at it? I can't get anything right, it may even be my computer.... any help at all would be greatly apreciated.

Reflectionist.

Freedom
08-09-2004, 12:01 AM
read the tutorials, there are several to choose from.

IDK's (http://www.geocities.com/idontknowtutorial/contents.html?1048292445858)

happymans (http://happyman.purezc.com/uzqt/index.php?page=index)

LTM's (http://zc.thedpshack.com/)

Brian_Griffin
08-10-2004, 05:59 PM
that sounds a lot like what i was doing in my new quests. u have to take everything one step at a time and painfully slowly, keeping everything in place. cuz like you make your starting spot then a place to get a sword then a couple screens then a dungeon and if you go to fast with everything especially dmaps it gets confused together and crap ok. i hope this helped

Reflectionist
08-10-2004, 07:40 PM
I am doing it slow, but there are too many bugs in the quest that I can't fix, or that I don't know how to fix, none of the tutorials say anything about it, so I'm asking if anybody wants to look at it to see what i'm doing wrong, if I'm doing anything at all right

because like I said, this is my first quest, and i want it to be a good one.

Espo
08-12-2004, 06:46 PM
zquest in my opinion is a high level programming language. that is, there are rules to follow and there are a finite number of things the language will supply you with. it is not nearly as complicated as say programming in assembly BUT it does take some practice and there is a learning curve. if you need help you can definitely get it in these forums but if you do not say what the problem is people have no idea what to help with. do me a favor. reply to this post with a description of your biggest problem. please do not say your biggest problem is it doesn't work. you have to tell us what the symptons are and then you'll get a good chance of people helping. i'll check it out when you post it.

Reflectionist
08-12-2004, 07:47 PM
It's not so much as one big problem, as there are a whole bunch of little bugs that I can't fix, they sound easy, but in ZQuest it all works...

The biggest one, i guess would be that the shutters don't work. I used the Door Tool, and the only shuttery thing that is there is the sound when you do whatever it is that would open the shutter. And, I also tried editing the tiles to make them walkable like a door tile, but even then, if I go through a door, i can't go anywhere, I can just come back the way I came. In ZQuest everything is fine.

Also, in my first dungeon, there is a guy at the end that gives you an item, and tells you some part of the story. he is on a different DMap because I want different music. the side warp is perfect. but it is just the room as I see it in Zquest. No guy, no string, no Item, but the room is the right room. I set everything up like AlphaDawg's Tutorial told me to do.

FYI, i'm using the latest Zquest / ZC, and that Pure Tileset V2... maybe there is something glitchy about the tileset??? I'll have to ask Raichu86, correct??

Espo
08-12-2004, 08:37 PM
From what you tell me it sounds like your dmap type or level number aren't set properly. I believe shutters only work if your dmap type is dungeon. Do Quests -> dmaps and select the dmap that accesses this screen. make sure in the upper right you have dngn selected. Also make sure level number is greater than 0 (remembering that unless you are awarding a triforce on this dmap you should make it 10 or higher since the 1-8 are reserved for triforce levels and 9 is reserved for the final level). If this is the case it would explain why the shutters don't work and why the guy, message, item don't appear. If no then read on.

For the shutters, make sure under Quest -> Rules that the freeform dungeon rule isn't checked. If you have this rule checked you have to create shutters manually instead of using the doors function in zq.

So you place the shutter with doors utility not by laying out combos. if you do this you could be placing unwalkable combos over your shutter and blocking the path through once the shutters open. Check in Quest -> Graphics -> Door Sets to make sure all of the doors have graphics assigned to them (including the passage which will appear when the shutter opens). If you do all of this and your shutter is activating correctly you should be ok. Have you played with the layers at all yet. If so it is possible you placed a combo on a different layer in the way of the shutter.

If you still have problems I would recommend going into the doors tool for the screen you are haveing trouble with and replacing the shutter with a wall. Then erase the wall (replace it with blank, walkable combos of type (none)). If you have a shutter there instead of a wall you will not be able to place anything over it. Once you have these "blank" combos in place, check to make sure there are no combos on other layers where you want the shutter, and recreate the shutter with the doors tool.

Other things that could be causing the problem are

1) if you edge of the dmap then you will need to use a side warp to a new dmap unless you move the dmap boundaries in dmap settings window.

2) if the next screen you are walking to is bordered by unwalkable combos you could have a problem

Reflectionist
08-12-2004, 11:35 PM
OK... I tried that, and now Link is completely invisible. I set the level numbers through the dmaps, and I unchecked Freeform dungeons. I make use of the freeform dungeons, so I'll recheck that, and see what happens.

*does that*

Okay, that works, everything is working fine, I'll have to fix a few minor things but other than that, it's fine. I can handle and see what's going wrong now.. thanks!!

Oh, BTW, i haven't messed with Layers at all.

Espo
08-14-2004, 11:01 AM
If you need to use freeform dungeons you shouldn't use the doors tool. You can still do shutters though using secret tile flags. So if you want the shutters to open if you kill all the enemies go to Data -> Screen Flags and select the Enemies->Secret flag. Then go to Tools->Flags and place flags 16 and 17 over the closed door combos you use for your door. Then in secret combos place open door combos in the spots for secret tiles 1 and 2. I find freeform dungeons are better and I never use the doors tool.