PDA

View Full Version : Demo Quest EX: Possible beta tonight

Nightmare
08-07-2004, 07:43 PM
I've been keeping this a secret, but:

I have secured permission from Phantom Menace and got the password, and have been working on an updating the Demo Quest. I might be putting out a beta tonight, after I finish Level 4.

What do you guys think?

Also, post your suggestions here on how to improve it.

-James

Cepat
08-07-2004, 08:10 PM
For a start, do you intend to make it a super tough quest like James Quest 1 & 2?
If you want to make an update, you should just switch to a new tileset & consider the playability, that is, do away with the obstacles that stop people from playing the quest.
Unless you play in cheat mode, then can you complete a quest that causes people to die in 200 times in just 20 tries. If not it's simply impossible to complete quests that are designed for the sadistic pleasure of the quest maker.

Nightmare
08-07-2004, 08:13 PM
That was mission 1 Cepat. You read my mind on that one. Here's what I've done so far:

1. Whacked the first dungeon a great deal
2. Added a key into Lv. 1 to make that part more passable
3. Added a Magic Key into Lv. 3

It's keeping the same tileset. I'm not disrespecting PM in that fashion.

I love PM, but he has a more sadistic mind than me. Demo Quest in its original form is harder than James Quest 1 and 2. In fact, I'm the only one that's seen the end of it.

-James

Cepat
08-07-2004, 08:18 PM
Well, then that's nothing special. It will make people stand up if you adopt a new tileset like GB, LTTP, Descendent or Pure tilesets. This shows greater commitment & effort on your part. Well anyway I wish you all the best in completing the project.

Nightmare
08-07-2004, 08:21 PM
I understand your point, but you have to understand this is not a New Quest 2 which I'm making: This is an update of an existing quest. Some things "you just don't touch", and you don't touch the original creator's tiles.

That would be a serious violation of rights and respect.

-James

Cepat
08-07-2004, 08:32 PM
Then why bother to make a remake if you can't do much things with it?
Not to put you down, just giving us those things you mentioned is not going to make many existing players (who have since played tons of custom designed quests) interested in it, unless they are new to ZC.

Nightmare
08-07-2004, 08:34 PM
Not to be an ass, but would you touch the ZC creator's tiles in HIS quest? I don't know about the new people, but the oldbies would kill me for it!

-James

Jigglysaint
08-07-2004, 08:34 PM
Yes, a very serious disrespect.

I hope the project goes well. It sounds very promising. I have to say that out of all the people PM could have trusted with making an update, I am glad it was you. It wasn't just his demo quest, but your new.qst is what made me fall in love with Zelda Classic. Updating the demo quest will bring back a wave of nostalga that will make even some of the newest quests look like trash.

JayeM
08-07-2004, 09:45 PM
I for one really love the Demo Quest graphics...especially the water tiles. Looking forward to it, Nightmare.

Freedom
08-07-2004, 09:55 PM
I'd like to see this as well.

Nightmare
08-08-2004, 12:40 AM
Demo Quest EX Beta up:

http://members.aol.com/CptNightmare/demoex.zip

The pass is the same as the old Demo Quest, for AGN execs and of course Phantom Menace.

Level 4 is complete, it is now past the Flippers (if you have got that far)

I need a list of:

1. Early things too hard. (don't complain about the Gleeok 2: Figure out its pattern)
2. Bugs still left
3. Things I need to improve/change
4. Level 4 problems

Known Changes:

1. Whacked the first dungeon a great deal
2. Added a key into Lv. 1 to make that part more passable
3. Added a Magic Key into Lv. 3
4. Some enemy rooms changed.

BTW, I will repeat, even toned down, this quest IS harder than James Quest 2, by a LOT. Make sure you know what you're doing before you open it. I will not take responsibility for bad marks for difficulty, PM made the Demo Quest a bitch to beat.

Enjoy!

-James

Foxx
08-08-2004, 04:56 AM
Demo Quest in its original form is harder than James Quest 1 and 2. In fact, I'm the only one that's seen the end of it.

-James
Are you sure? I believe I reached the very end of Demo Quest a few weeks after the final version was released about 4 years ago. This in spite of the fact that I'm a much better player now than I was back then -- I can get to the end (but somehow can't find the flippers, I played in beta 184 and think there's some kind of version conflict bug) with 46 deaths now, down from 119 in the original go.

By the way, I see that we can continue our saved games from older Demo Quest plays. Sweet!

Nightmare
08-08-2004, 03:01 PM
Foxx, you'll have fun with Lv. 4.

And it's good that some people have seen the end of this bastard: It's a rougher ride than James Quest 2. Well, more people will now.

-James

JayeM
08-11-2004, 11:03 AM
Things that are too hard: the raft paths. Even though I know where the superbomb shop is I've rafted all over and can't get there. Can't get any further without a superbomb, so... Just one raft-branch flag in the right place would do it, but it gets so boring just "rollin' on the river" and getting nowhere. I'll have to give up for now.

EDIT: Is there a shop that sells potions?

fatcatfan
08-11-2004, 12:30 PM
And it's good that some people have seen the end of this bastard: It's a rougher ride than James Quest 2. Well, more people will now.

I played it through to the end when I was a ZC newb as well. In fact, I think it is the only custom quest I've completed in it's entirety. And when I wrote my Demo Quest walkthrough, I was already hacking ZQuest so I could use my newly written mapmaker on the Demo Quest, and I briefly, by accident, published maps of areas you couldn't yet access in-game. I doubt anyone noticed before I took them down a few days later. No one said anythign anyway.

EDIT
JayeM, isn't the raft branch below the "odd colored rock"? (it's been a while)

Nightmare
08-12-2004, 12:38 AM
Hey fatcatfan, have you played the new version, curious?

Wondering if anyone has opinions of Level 4 yet....

-James

fatcatfan
08-12-2004, 12:56 AM
Nope. I downloaded it earlier to check that the "odd colored rock" was still in place, but I haven't actually played it. Maybe soon.