PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting more serious about building a computer

AtmaWeapon
08-05-2004, 12:31 PM
While I do make a ridiculous amount of money at my job, I happen to have a lot of debts to pay off this term. I can't really make a budget out before I see my first paycheck, but I think I can probably set aside about $600 for a computer if I don't want to have any money left over after I'm done working.

The dilemma is I'm not really sure how much money I will have. I can build a respectable Pentium 4 system right now for a little over $500, and I expect within 4 months when I buy it it will be under $500. What I have so far is
2.8Ghz HT Pentium 4 (800Mhz FSB)
512 MB RAM
Radeon 9600XT

I already have a motherboard that will accept the chip and the RAM I have chosen, so it is not included in the cost.

The goal of this PC is to be a Doom box. I want to play Doom 3: Flashlight Physics. I don't need to get 60 FPS in high detail, but I would like to play it and I would like it to knock my socks off. The only problem I see is I think the 9600 may be underpowered, but going up to a 9800 means I'm spending too much.

I have a friend who's pretty fanatical about AMD. He tells me that he can build a system that will run circles around any P4 for less cost than the P4 system. My problem is all of the knowledge of CPUs I have is Intel knowledge, so I'm not really sure what is a good AMD chip, motherboard, and so forth.

So in the interests of fairness and budget, I am asking anyone who knows what they are doing to tell me how to build a decent AMD box capable of running Doom 3. Here's some criteria I'm interested in:

* A big plus is if the box is upgradable. I have one more work term next summer, and I will have very little debts then so I can shovel another $600-$800 into the computer no problem then, but I'd really rather spend about $300 unless I splurge on the newest video card.
* I would love 1GB of RAM. Configurations with 1GB of RAM that meet the budget will be very desirable.
* Since my debts are due by the end of the year, I will not purchase anything until I have them paid. This means there's probably a good 3 month period when the parts will drop in price, so my $600 price cap is for expected value 3 months from now.
* I already have a case.
* Suggest fans and heatsinks, but don't include them in the budget estimate unless you are recommending some kind of cooling system over $50.
* I already have a 120GB hard drive, so don't waste budget on that unless you manage to fit some kind of RAID array into the blasted thing <3. I have 10 total bays so knock yourself out.
* A decent CD-RW drive is required. My laptop's drive sucks and I would like at least one of my computers to burn well.
* Don't waste money on a DVD writer. I've had enough experience with them at work to know to leave them alone until a standard format is agreed upon.

If I end up using your specific configuration I'll send some kind of reward, maybe 10 bucks or something, but remember it's going to be months before I can actually buy the computer.

Radium
08-05-2004, 12:39 PM
Oh no! you bought the wrong processor! :(.... You should have gotten an Athlon 64....

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2149&p=7

My system that I just bought is as follows....

Athlon 64 3000+ (2.00GHz) 512KB Cache
1024MB DDR400 PC-3200 Corsair Value Ram cas 2.5
PNY GeForce 6800 GT 256MB DDR3 (350MHz - 1000MHz)
ASUS K8V (basic) Motherboard
Maxtor 160GB 7200RPM 8MB Buffer S-ATA Hard Drive
Cooler Master Centurion 5 case w/ 350W PSU
Lite-on SOHW-812S DVD-RW drive

here are my doom 3 benchmarks that I posted on another forum (ign):

First I ran a test (demo1) using my card at default 350MHz core 1000MHz ram, then I ran it again OC'd to 404MHz core 1100MHz ram. I had the settings at "only" High Quality with no FSAA. (the game runs perfectly fine at 1280x1024 using Ultra Quality, even with 4XFSAA on)

PNY 6800 GT (350MHz-1000MHz):
1st run - 40.7 FPS
2nd run - 57.4 FPS
3rd run - 57.3 FPS

PNY 6800 GT (404MHz-1100MHz):
1st run - 50.2 FPS
2nd run - 58.9 FPS
3rd run - 58.8 FPS

It seems that my graphics card is bottlenecked by my processor at this resolution and settings.

>edit<

Here are my results for Ultra Quality with 4XFSAA

PNY 6800 GT (350MHz-1000MHz):
1st run - 38.4 FPS
2nd run - 45.2 FPS
3rd run - 45.2 FPS

>/edit<

Sylvan_Wizard
08-05-2004, 12:45 PM
I believe the 9800 is the minimum requirement, IIRC. But even if it's not, get it anyway, you'll be glad you did.
512Mb RAM is enough, you can upgrade later.
I'd recommend getting a DVD burner anyway. Just get a +/- one (both formats). Mine's an 8x +/- RW :D

AtmaWeapon
08-05-2004, 12:48 PM
No I meant that list was the specs I had, I haven't bought anything but a motherboard and a case yet, and the motherboard was bought when I stupidly thought I'd have the money to build this thing like a year ago.

That's a nice list Radium but now I have to go look up the prices.

*edit* Yeah OK that video card alone costs as much as my budget maximum so no dice.

Sylvan_Wizard
08-05-2004, 12:50 PM
www.pricewatch.com
www.resellerratings.com
www.froogle.com
;)

AtmaWeapon
08-05-2004, 12:58 PM
For cripes sake do people even read threads anymore? Sylvan Wizard I did not ask for common sites to look up prices, you left out newegg anyway. I know perfectly well how to buy things online. What I do not know is what AMD components do well with each other, and that is why I am asking.

goKi
08-05-2004, 06:57 PM
Radium is right, the AMD 64bit Athlons are dirt cheap, and are definately a good option. As for your choice of a 9600XT, which i own, and are Doom 3 capable in 800x600 High Quality, i'd suggest for a similar price to upgrade to a 9800 Pro.

biggiy05
08-05-2004, 09:42 PM
Ok ive got an amd system well its in the works ive just gotta get the board and hard drive. Ok this is roughly a $800 system. AMD is much better than intel with certian chips, the athlon 64 line runs faster than the 3.2 p4 right now and they stay much cooler than any intel out there. Here is the lsit ive setup for you take a gander

AMD Athlon 64 3400+ http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-427&depa=0

ABIT "KV8" Board for AMD 64 processors http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-127-177&depa=0

1gig of Kingston Hyper X dual channel ddr 2700 http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-144-122&depa=0

And the video card a Sapphire Ati Radeon 9800 pro http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-268&depa=1

Not bad its around $800 with shipping included, that sir is your amd system

theplustwo
08-06-2004, 12:50 AM
Go with Intel, since you already have the motherboard and AMD switched to the pansy ass Cyrix style naming convention.

gdorf
08-06-2004, 01:15 AM
I'd suggest for a similar price to upgrade to a 9800 Pro.

I agree wholeheartedly. At this point the 9600xt is a marketing gimick. It is a good card, but it in no way compares to the 9800 pro, which you can get for roughly the same price (if not less). You should be able to get a 9800 pro for under $200 online. Just remember, be sure to get the 256bit memory interface, not the 128bit interface. Some places sell a cheap version of the 9800 pro with the 128bit interface (usually $160-$170), and I have heard too many accounts of people buying these hot deals to find they work only on par with a 9600 pro. I know you aren't a guy to be impressed easily by a "256bit interface" or "8 pixel pipelines", but the 9800 really packs the real-world punch, consult ANY benchmark and the 9800 pro destroys the 9600xt. Here (http://www.armageddongames.net/showthread.php?t=80640&highlight=9800+9600) is a poll from the locals if you need any more convincing.

As for the rest of the system, I am fairly sure you are not interested in overclocking (let me know if I am wrong), and I feel that an Intel setup will suit your needs just as well as an AMD. Seriously though, let me know if you want to overclock. I've got a lot of bang for my buck, and it doesn't require watercooling. My motherboard/memory/processor cost me $300 total, and I am very pleased with what I've got.

As far as cooling, wether you want to overclock or not. This (http://www.svc.com/thslcl.html) is one of the best heatsinks out there, and for a dang good price at the moment. You'll probably get it shipped to your door, with a fan, for $30-$35 dollars. Thats pretty good considering it normally costs that much without shipping or a fan. The slk series are the best heatsinks out there. I put one in my brothers computer, and I'd have one in mine if I wasn't watercooling.

For a last tip: don't skimp out on your power supply. This system is undoubtedly going to draw a lot more power than your current one, and a new power supply is probably in order. Unstable rails can cause instabilty in the system, random freezes, poor performance, and often damaged hardware. I recommend a high quality Antec or Enermax power supply with at least 400 watts (more is better!). Keep in mind that a generic "550watt" power supply is not necisarily better than a quality 350watt. There are no standards when it comes to power supplies. Basically, too many people don't factor a PSU into their budget, and then end up buying a cheap one to compensate for their short-sightedness.

Anyway, hope I could help. Newegg (www.newegg.com) rocks, and have fun playing doom3. :)

Sylvan_Wizard
08-06-2004, 08:54 AM
For cripes sake do people even read threads anymore? Sylvan Wizard I did not ask for common sites to look up prices, you left out newegg anyway.Calm down man. I saw this:
"That's a nice list Radium but now I have to go look up the prices."
and thought you might find those sites handy. I apologize for trying to be helpful to someone who obviously knows it all. And you can find newegg and better sites through resellerratings.com

AlexMax
08-06-2004, 01:34 PM
Just bite the bullet and go for a BFGTech 6800GT OC in terms of video cards. The 6800GT is orgasmicly great, and BFG overclocks it out of the box and backs it with a lifetime warrenty. You can't beat that.