PDA

View Full Version : Port....GRRR

the_Real_hydra
08-04-2004, 06:16 PM
Hello people! I am Strating to hate my DSL. Every time I want to try some new type of online game or downloading progame Or even try to use a server for my own web site. I have to open the ports for it on my DSL. The probelm that I have is most of the programs do not tell the port that run on. What I am asking you guys is there away to see what ports a program needs to have open while it is running on you computer, or something like that.

fatcatfan
08-04-2004, 06:28 PM
Try TCPView
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/tcpview.shtml

With the program in question running, check tcpview to see what ports that program is listening on. It's not entirely accurate, it might show some as listening that you don't need.

the_Real_hydra
08-04-2004, 06:36 PM
Is the computer:### <those number the port?

fatcatfan
08-04-2004, 06:39 PM
Yes. That is correct. Only those in the "local address" column need to be opened, though the connection would probably be symmetrical.

the_Real_hydra
08-04-2004, 06:40 PM
Thank You SO much!! If there is any thing I can do to help you please let me know!

fatcatfan
08-04-2004, 06:41 PM
One other thing. UDP ports won't be listed as "listening" but will also need to be forwarded.

gdorf
08-05-2004, 12:50 AM
Be careful though. Don't open a port for a program unless you are abolsutely sure what it is for. If you simply forward every port that is being listened on then the point of a firewall is lost. You could open a port for a trojan or spyware program.

fatcatfan
08-05-2004, 01:01 AM
Good advice. TCPView lists open ports along with the program that has control of them so you should be able to tell which belong to the game and which belong to potential spyware or trojans.