PDA

View Full Version : New Maxx Builder Mock-up. (Work In Progress)

J.J. Maxx
08-04-2004, 08:24 AM
Some of you may remember the lego-type program I worked on last year. Well, I've been working on it again and I'm really hoping to find some kind of programmer who can build me a decent engine. At this point I don't care what it's written in. LOL

Anyways, I'm currently working on some new peices and new items.

Here's the latest mock-up I made for the game screen:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/JJMaxx/mock2.gif

I figured I would make it 640x480 just as a default size.

Here's the entire sprite-sheet as of 8/4/04:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/JJMaxx/sprites.gif

Anyways, it will be a building program, completely functional and I'm going for simplicity. I don't want some huge, memory-hogging program that is super complicated. I just want something to play around with for a few minutes. Here's some of the things you'll be able to do.

You choose the library of peices you want to use, click on it and it will show up in your 'peice-selection window'. Then you can rotate the peice and choose the color.

Then just click on it and drag it onto the building base in the construction window. You will also be able to alter the sky color and the base color to match your project.

All the peices will work on a 'snapping' placement. You can't place the bricks anywhere you want, the peices will 'snap' to the nearest peg and when you let the mouse go it will drop in that spot.

I think, given enough peices, you'd be able to build anything you want and there would be alot of flexibility and limitless possibilities. Also a ton of fun. ;)

I'm hoping to break through my artist block and start churning out more peices soon, if I do I will post them in this thread.

One last thing, I know alot of you are going to jump on goole and link me to all the other lego-type building programs out there. Don't. I've seen them and I still believe that I'm making something unique even though it's a the same principal.

fatcatfan
08-04-2004, 11:02 AM
Doesn't Lego already have something like this?

biggiy05
08-04-2004, 11:49 AM

Yea its a 3d version and they have pre built cities and stuff like that i played with it a long time ago. This looks col mainly cuz he is building it from scratch by himself.

Rainman
08-04-2004, 12:46 PM
This looks awesome. I'm not sure if this would help any, but my brother and I (mainly my brother) have drawn I set of legos using a 3d CAD program called Autodesk Inventor. All the pieces fit together nicely though It's a bit akward fitting the pieces together. You're looking for simplicity though so 3d pieces probably aren't what you're looking for.

J.J. Maxx
08-04-2004, 03:56 PM

Even though you attached no smilies to this comment, I'll just assume you were being sarcastic because I could've sworn I created the last paragraph of my thread so I wouldn't get these types of comments. ;)

You're looking for simplicity though so 3d pieces probably aren't what you're looking for.

Yeah the whole point is that these peices are all origianl works of art and are meant to fit together pixel for pixel. I designed them that way. This program cannot be 3D'ed or vectored are have the art altered. But thats the point! Besides, this will be cooler than Lego's CAD-type program. That one is too serious. This one will be more fun!

It's the difference between Grand Tourismo 3 and Need for Speed. One is a simulator, and one is just to rock out and have fun! :thumbsup:

fatcatfan
08-04-2004, 04:59 PM
actually no, I missed the last paragraph (oops)

So you need a sprite engine that just snaps to a grid? No complex algorithms to make sure the 3D pieces aren't trying to occupy the same space? It seems, though, that in order for pieces to actually snap to "pegs" and not just a 3D projected grid, the pieces and workspace will need to employ some concept of whether a 3D point is occupied, available for attachment, or empty. Then you have at least 6 directions to apply that in. It would also need to differentiate between a male or female connection point.

Regardless, the mock-up looks cool.

J.J. Maxx
08-04-2004, 08:54 PM
Anybody body know how to make a 'raised edge' effect for surfaces? I want to make an XP style silver shiny effect for the grey areas in the middle and the edges.

Ganonator
08-04-2004, 09:44 PM
I'm very impressed. Not because it's a lego building tool, but because it takes isometric perspective and gives it to good use.

Please post more when you get things working :thumbsup:

Archibaldo
08-04-2004, 11:23 PM
I think it's a great idea. I'd love to play a game where you can acyually build a lego thing on the computer. The only other computer lego program I know is Lego Loco.

obi
08-05-2004, 09:30 PM
Hee hee, you've already heard my view on this JJ through chat, and I must say again, it really does look good :thumbsup: