PDA

View Full Version : Finding wireless server settings.

ZeldaFan001
08-01-2004, 03:26 PM
Here's the deal.

A couple of friends and I want to start a game server. I am the one who is hosting this game, but I seem to have a problem.

I have a wireless connection and I can't figure out what my IP Address is.

I've given my ip address out to my friends to connect to my computer that I discovered while visiting an internet site to tell me, but they couldn't find my computer.

For those who know, the network has an ip address that the cable modem uses to contact the ISP, and each wireless connected computer uses a DHCP generated IP address to contact the router, but the ip address that the router uses are only accessed to people who are on the network, and the ip address is used to find the network, but not a specific computer.

I've even tried turning off my firewall, but that doesn't work either.

Is there something I can do to either find or make an IP address that can be used to find my computer by people who are outside my network?

I really need an answer, and appreciate any comments.

vegeta1215
08-01-2004, 03:34 PM
Sounds like you have to go into your router settings and have it forward the port for your game to your computer on your internal network. That way you can give your friends your router's IP address (that the whole internet sees), and when they try to connect to it it will go to your computer.

We had to do the same thing in order for people on the net to connect to the Apache server on one of the machines behind our router.

ZeldaFan001
08-01-2004, 04:12 PM
What setting do I put that under.

Here (http://spesite.netfirms.com/Ports.JPG) or There. (http://spesite.netfirms.com/Routes.JPG)

vegeta1215
08-01-2004, 05:13 PM
The Ports one.

Each row on that page represents a forwarded service. To start, pick a row and give it a name under the "Customized Applications" column. (ex. Quake III Arena - if you were gonna play that). Next, enter the port range that the game uses in the "External Port" column. Next, check TCP (it's most likely TCP). Then, enter the internal network address for your computer (192.168.1.something), and check enable.

Let me know how it works ;)

ZeldaFan001
08-02-2004, 11:03 PM
YOU ARE THE BEST!

I got my server working! Thanks a bunch! :)

vegeta1215
08-03-2004, 02:50 AM
Glad to be of help :thumbsup: