PDA

View Full Version : Fed up with Layers...

ForteMP3
07-27-2004, 10:33 PM
Okay, I decided to try and fool around with Layers today, only to have them completely screw me over. I seriously think the idea of having layers be different maps needs to be done away with, as that would likely fix a LOT of the problems quest makers have. Anyway, here's mine.

I tried to do a simple layer type thing with some maps. I used the auto layer command, choosing Map 2 for Layer 3. Now, I've been told doing this should make it so every screen on Map 2 corresponds to the matching screen on Map 1, and yet what does it do? It makes it so that Screen 00 of Map 2 is used as the layer for ALL SCREENS OF MAP 1! Yeah. This means that anything I draw at all on Layer 3 appears on every screen, which really, REALLY sucks. I know the obvious solution would be to manually set up each screen for layering, but this would result in a lot of tedious work that takes away from time I could be using to actually design screens, as I have to go and punch in stuff for every screen before I can even work on it.

I need some help here...Why is ZQuest giving me this trouble when I try to do layers? Is there any other way to set up Layers that won't take forever and a day to do? Because I'm really starting to be turned off by the entire quest making concept if a feature like this is such a hassle...

*b*
07-27-2004, 10:36 PM
first off, what version are you using? second off, the Auto Layer feature works fine in Alpha 3, so maybe you just have to wait for the next public release?

ForteMP3
07-27-2004, 10:56 PM
I'm using 1.92 build 183, although 182 seems to also exhibit this problem. Strangely enough, I can use autolayer for the other layers just fine, but layer 3 for Map 1 seems to be "locked." The map will not change if I set a new map with the autolayer command.

*b*
07-27-2004, 11:05 PM
yeah, that was a bug that has now been fixed. don't worry, layers will soon become your best friend(s)

ForteMP3
07-27-2004, 11:25 PM
So it's fixed? Well, I hope that fix becomes availble to the public sometime soon then. Because as of now, I pretty much can't work on a quest until this issue's resolved...I've got a map that I can't modify layer settings on, and unless I go through and do each screen (on an 8x16 map) manually...Well, I'm stuck. And frankly, I don't feel like manually setting layer info up for that many screens.

*b*
07-27-2004, 11:44 PM
my suggestion, untill the next public beta is released, is when you work on a screen, set the layer, then go onto placing all the tiles on the layers you want them on, then go to the next. it wouldn't be that much harder, since you still have to put in all the tiles for the layers

ForteMP3
07-27-2004, 11:50 PM
...I uh...Don't quite follow you on that. Could you rephrase? Also, how can I set a layer if I try clicking on the Auto Layer button, I select a map, but that map isn't used?

*b*
07-28-2004, 12:27 AM
now I'm not sure what YOU mean...

as for what I said... instead of going over each screen and setting the layers one by one, try this; when you're working on a screen, set the layers then place the tiles on the layers as if you would normally. it saves time, and you don't go all over the map setting layers on screens you haven't used yet, and that you'll be editing anyway once your layers are set

ForteMP3
07-28-2004, 12:41 AM
Okay, now I think I see what you're saying. But since I already started drawing on a map when I set layers up, I think I'm screwed, I'll just have to start the map from scratch, if that's even possible. :(

Freedom
07-28-2004, 01:18 AM
I've never had a problem with layers, I think you're doing something wrong, being new to it.
I've used them both ways, placing one screen at a time, and doing autolayers.
no problems period.

You might do better to use one as you need one and forgo the autolayers until you are more used to the program.