PDA

View Full Version : Memory card horror stories?

Dart Zaidyer
07-27-2004, 05:45 PM
Has anyone had any really bad experiences with third-party memory cards? Just yesterday, I got a 59-block GameCube memory card by Mad Catz for 6 dollars. With that kind of price, I really, really have to wonder about its' integrity. I read somewhere about one guy who had his start corrupting after 3 months of infrequent use.

What are your stories?

Masamune
07-27-2004, 05:53 PM
I have this PS1 360 block memory card. I try to find an old FF7 save around the first few pages. I found the place where the state should be, but the whole card's been erased and replaced with 12 corrupt FF7 saves. Every one of them are white, have 0:00 play time, and have cloud as the portrait with no name. And I have like 23653#%3557 gil or something. Pretty effed up. =o

Master Ghaleon
07-27-2004, 06:31 PM
I had one of the first memory cards for the gamecube and it ther ewasnt enough room for 3 memory cards to hold 1 football season :D So I had to wait for the ones that had 5x more memory

{DSG}DarkRaven
07-27-2004, 06:34 PM
I've never had trouble with my GC memory card, it's a 251, but I don't keep much on it. I have however had trouble with my gameboy, if only once. I bought Mega Man Battle Network 3W not too long ago, and after I had put some 30 hours on it, and was to the first ending, I lost my save game. Gone. Back to start. No passing Go, no 200 Zenny. I'm sure it's because I was playing my GBA to the extent of the battery life, in order to properly recharge it from the zero point, a tactic that I have now officially said "screw it" to.

aces2022
07-27-2004, 07:02 PM
I had the ultimate "memory cards". (One for each console) They had everything I have ever beaten. Then I lost all of them. All except ONE, my Gamecube one. :)

King Link
07-27-2004, 07:05 PM
The only real problem I've had included my Memory Card 251 for GameCube, involving PSO Episodes I&II and III. Basically, I turned off the GameCube while saving (idiotic) and lost my PSO Episode I&II files (thankfully I had saved my character onto the other Memory Card as a Temp. Character for multiplayer). However, my character had been at Level 83 or so with some great weapons. The same happened on Episode III, although since them, I've got a much better deck and I'm a higher level too.

sivart0
07-27-2004, 07:08 PM
my friend bought a 16MB card for GC and sometimes it says "The Device in slot 1 isn't a memory card" or something like that. it's from MadCatz. personally i've NEVER had a memory card problem but i spent a little extra money and bought a 251 Nintendo brand memory card. also on a quick note, there's a 1k block memory card out (by Nintendo)

{DSG}DarkRaven
07-27-2004, 08:11 PM
Massive third party cards are a bad idea if you ask me. I'd much rather avoid them altogether if possible. Not that I'll be needing a new one for my 'cube anytime soon.

the_Real_hydra
07-27-2004, 08:31 PM
I had a PS1 360 block card that you has to change the block and stuff with buttons on it. Every few months it would get deleted some how. I found out how to make it work. So Beat every games that had. I had that sucker almost full of game and my little sister one day take it and thows it then trys to up a magnet in side of it. Well lets just say I don't work knowe more...

Jakq
07-27-2004, 08:58 PM
My third party ps2 card is completly corrupted.

Skulkraken
07-27-2004, 11:57 PM
My family bought a third-party memory card for our Gamecube. It kept on refusing to save data whenever the Gamecube was on for longer than a few minutes. I think it was overheating from actually being used. It's now in storage, since we got a Memory Card 251 to replace it.

Dracula
07-28-2004, 12:37 AM
I've never really had bad luck with any third-party memory card... Actually, now that I think of it, I haven't had much bad luck with any third-party product (except all those gay light-magnifier thingys for gameboy... except that HandyPack thingy, with the magnifier, light, speakers, big buttons, joystick... that thing was awesome)

But, I know a lot of my friends hate third-part memory cards... Just into thin air, all your saves and highscores, gone... The look on their faces at that moment is truly something.

Dark Nation
07-29-2004, 09:01 AM
I recently started having trouble with my GC memory card. I think it was a MadCatz. After realizing it seemed to be due to overheating, I only stick the card in when I am saving, then take it back out afterwards. No more problems.

Link 101
07-29-2004, 12:01 PM
My Gamecube memory card had all my games that I had beaten in it. WW, Metroid Prime, Master Quest, OoT, and my SSBM data. I took over to my friend Yoshiman's hosue to show him the cool stuff I had gotten in WW, it took me forever to get the stuff too. So when I go home, I leave it there on accident. He finds it, but a few weeks later, I ask him for it and he says he he gave it back. He didn't, so that means he lost it. BUT, he gave me a new memory card and SSBM data, so I didn't have to unlock all that crap again. What a nice frined Yoshiman is.

Rijuhn
07-29-2004, 03:31 PM
I've never had any problem with any memory cards EVER. Neither has my brother, so maybe we actually just take care of our stuff, hehe. But seriously, I stopped bying 3rd party stuff once I got my GameCube. Everything I have for my GCN now is from Nintendo.

MottZilla
07-29-2004, 03:59 PM
I've not had any problems with memory cards. Although I don't buy 3rd party memory cards, with the exception of one for PSX. It was dual sided, had a button to press to flip sides, even a light to tell you which side it was on. I never had any problems with it. I later bought a set of like 3 PSX memory cards which I believe were first party, they where all clear in colors of white, red, and blue. I have 2 GC memory cards, a 59 which is now formatted for japanese GC games (my soul calibur 2) and a 251 for my usa games.

Nowdays if you are really scared about losing your saves you can buy one of those devices to save them to your PC.

the_Real_hydra
07-29-2004, 07:30 PM
One of my friends has a memory card for the PSone. If you put it in the card slot the controlers will one work. We have been testing it out to find out why but have yet to find out why.

Archibaldo
07-30-2004, 10:29 AM
The only problem I've ever had with a memory card was with my GBC memory card from.. MadCatz of course. I saved my Pokemon TCG data on it as back up in case my game ever was corrupted.
After a couple of months I wanted to load my Pokemon TCG data to play on. The only problem, it wouldn't load. No matter how many times I tried I couldn't get the data off. The card still had the data but it wouldn't let me have it.

DarkDragoonX
07-30-2004, 10:06 PM
So, I finally got a perfect Arc the Lad end game save. I'm ecstatic. Max-level characters, and all the great items (including the Romancing Stones). So, I'm getting ready to transfer the clear data over to Arc the Lad 2, when I decide that I should probably back-up the save. I go to the browser and start to copy the data to a PS2 memory card (it's the easiest, most efficient way to keep copies of saves, so you can delete them from your PSOne cards and save space). Now, at this point, it's 2 AM, and I'm sort of groggy, and I didn't realize that I had accidentally picked the delete option instead. I didn't even clue in when the "Are you sure you want to delete" message popped up. I said sure, okay (still thinking I was COPYING the data), watched the icon spin and disappear. That's when I realized what I had done. I stared at the television aghast. "Fuck," I said. "FUCK!"

One boneheaded mistake and I wasted 25 hours of my life.