PDA

View Full Version : ZQUEST-W isn't working!!!! ( for me at least )

Yakov
07-26-2004, 07:30 PM
----Whenever i try to use zquest-w, part of the download for the 184 player on the downloads page at the zelda classic site, all i get is a black screen! same goes for another file, zelda-w. the only file that works of the things i downloaded is something called grabber-w and i hav no idea wht the hell that is or what it does!!!
maybe im just being a dumbass and havnt read something important, but if i am being one, WILL SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME OUT HERE??? Sorry i had to yell like that. Any imput will be very greatly appreciated.

*b*
07-26-2004, 07:39 PM
make sure you're a system admin. that's all I can think of

Yakov
07-26-2004, 07:45 PM
im not sure if thats it or not- im in windows 98- i think the only thing i can be is administrator.thanks very much though, i'll look into it.

fatcatfan
07-26-2004, 07:52 PM
are there any error messages recorded in allegro.log in the Zelda Classic directory? What version of DirectX do you have installed? What is your desktop resolution?

As a last resort you might try adding "-gdi" after "-windowed" on the command line for both programs. (right click the shortcut, choose properties...)

Yakov
07-26-2004, 08:11 PM
there are no error messages in the allegro.log file, it says its all ok. my desktop resolution is 800 x 600, and i have directX 9. or maybe even 10. I'll try your command line trick.

Freedom
07-26-2004, 08:28 PM
try this....

delete out the ag.cfg file
OPEN zquest.exe
Play a midi
close zquest
OPEN zelda.exe and see if you can play the 1st quest.

there is a download running around out there that comes with an ag.cfg file which stops the program from working since it needs to match your system.

ALSO I had the same problem with downloads coming with different alleg41 files
I don't know anything about them but there were some that were different sizes and wouldn't work like the one for the 183 player I use is 471kb and the one for the 184 player is 499 kb
I had to swap them around to get the 182 and the 163 versions to work, even though they had the alleg files that came with them.
before I did it did what you describe above.

fatcatfan
07-26-2004, 08:32 PM
Is that one of the "official" downloads on ZeldaClassic.com? If so I'll repackage and fix it.

Yakov
07-26-2004, 09:44 PM
im downloading the other player now to try that swapping thing, but otherwise i'll just use the older player. thx very much for all ur help.

Freedom
07-27-2004, 03:56 AM
fatcatfan,
I don't know, I had all my versions up, running, and tweaked before they put those up there.
The problem with the 184 player was the Ganonator release, he released the ag.cfg file with it when he shared it with everyone, so whoever grabbed it from him and reshared it will have the same problem.
unfortunately I'm not certain where I got my others.... been too long, but I had troubles with the 163 and the 182 alleg41 dll's and only finally got them to run when I was setting here one day with nothing to do and started swapping out the dll's just for kicks.