PDA

View Full Version : Bill Cosby's Controversial Words...

Monica
07-26-2004, 05:18 PM
...Contain Meaning. (http://www.thetriangle.org/news/2004/07/23/EdOp/Bill-Cosbys.Controversial.Words.Contain.Meaning-695358.shtml?page=2)

Bill Cosby's harsh words on the condition of many of today's black youth have evoked many responses. I thought that I should get my two cents' worth on it as well. I wholeheartedly applaud Bill Cosby for saying what he did, and I completely agree with his views. I have felt for a long time the exact things that he expressed in words in front of a group of black leaders a few weeks back.

My roommate once remarked to me that "this rap culture is going to lead to the destruction of the black community." I think he was right on the mark in saying that. While some rap music may actually be music and something constructive, in my opinion, the vast majority of it, especially the "gangsta rap," plays no constructive role whatsoever in society. I've had the misfortune of hearing these "songs" in many places in Philadelphia, whether it be on the street, subway, or in retail stores. I've also had the misfortune of seeing their videos.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but almost all the rap or hip-hop videos on the market today have something in common. They tend to portray women as sexual objects and nothing more. They also usually have a few lines here and there about breaking the law and quite a few tend to be quite liberal with their usage of the n-word. There's other stuff too, but I can't understand most of it because it doesn't seem to be any sort of comprehensible English.

I've always wondered about this. The n-word was, and still is, a very hateful word. It was at the forefront of the civil rights movement. That word stripped black people of their humanity, and made them second class citizens.

But today's black youth seem to have absolutely no problem going around calling each other that word with such frequency that it would make a Ku Klux Klan member proud. Usage of that word in popular rap music today, and the mimicking of that by black youth is an insult to the civil rights movement, and it takes all the optimism that was once present for the community and flushes it down the toilet.

Bill Cosby was no doubt pained to see what's happening today. Rather than have a role model like him or the character he played on TV, a well-to-do physician, far more black youth today seem to emulate the thugs who pose as music artists. What would have pained him more than this is the apathy shown by black elders and the community as a whole. It doesn't take years of research into society to figure out that something's not right with the state of urban black youth today.

Next time you leave Drexel a little after lunchtime, walk a couple of streets to the west and observe the kids walking out of West Philadelphia High School at 36th and Market Streets. To describe what you would see on an ordinary day, I'm going to quote Bill Cosby:

"Your dirty laundry gets out of school at 2:30 p.m. every day. It's cursing and calling each other nigger ... they think they're hip. They can't read; they can't write. They're laughing and giggling, and they're going nowhere."

He said this in response to those who suggested that perhaps he shouldn't air blacks' societal problems in public. His response couldn't have been better. If you want to fix this problem, and we have a huge problem here, you can't keep it under wraps. It has to be brought out into the open, and dealt with through a combined effort by society as a whole.

Once again, I'm going to ask you. Those kids you see walking out of West Philadelphia High School, how many of them are going to be part of freshman orientation at Drexel University next year? How many of them are going to be part of freshman orientation at any university?

Forget reading or writing most of these people seem to lack even the ability to speak in a dignified manner. My friends and I often joke about the ridiculousness of the slang that has words like foshizzle, izzle, nizzle, etc. However the saddest part of the situation is that there are people that actually speak like this in their day to day lives. Last time I checked, these words weren't in the Oxford dictionary. As Bill Cosby remarked, "You can't be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth."

Good for Bill Cosby! The first step to solving any problem is in recognizing that there is a problem. And there definitely is a problem. The average SAT score for blacks is a full 200 points lower than that of whites. According to the Economist, black high-school students graduate an average of four years behind white students in terms of basic academic skills. In today's service oriented economy and intellectual atmosphere, most jobs that can be done only with a high school diploma are either being mechanized or being outsourced.

There is no doubt that I will probably come under quite a bit of fire for writing this commentary. I might even be accused of racism. I say these things not because I look down upon today's black youth, but because I know that those kids walking out of West Philadelphia High School can be far better than what they are right now. In them are potential doctors, astronauts, scientists, engineers and lawmakers. If today's black youth aren't educated, it's going to make it even tougher for the next generation to be educated, and all the struggles of the civil rights movement would have come to naught.

I agree. I love Bill Cosby's work in the Cosby Show and now in Fatherhood. He is one of the last decent role models left that I can recall, for everyone, not just black people. The Civil Rights movement was fought for the Black Youth to have a chance at education that they deserve, and they're literally throwing it into the gutter. White people no longer try and stop them from having a great life, now they just stop each other...

Thoughts?

Starkist
07-26-2004, 05:20 PM
Bill Cosby rocks. :)

Wait, I'm a white guy, am I allowed to say that?

Glenn the Great
07-26-2004, 06:13 PM
All I can say is that I couldn't agree more. I can't say anymore because that article took all the words right out of my mouth.

fatcatfan
07-26-2004, 06:25 PM
I feel privileged. I got to see Bill Cosby live when he was in Nashville recently. Awesome seats (center court, second row). Great guy. Funny and intelligent. Actually, to really have the first, you've gotta have the second. As for the comments concerning blacks - I'll just leave it alone. I generally agree with him, but then who am I to have an opinion on such a topic.

aces2022
07-26-2004, 06:35 PM
Bill Cosby is right in my opinion. The rights they were given are now being ignored and taken for granted. All the work of getting their rights was pretty much for nothing.

MANDRAG GANON
07-26-2004, 07:01 PM
Bill Cosby = Rocks.
Its about time someone started realising something is wrong that needs to be fixed...hopefully this will change something. It pisses me off to see a life wasted on bullshit.

Fo'Shizzle.

Dechipher
07-26-2004, 07:08 PM
I think I DO have the right to have an opinion on this. This is actually a problem, and it doesn't have anything to do with how I view blacks. I am not racist but I feel I have the right to be because most of the black people I know are racist. I'm not saying all, cause it's not true, but I live in Bartlesville, OK. 34,000 people. Roughly 15% of the population is black. Most of the black people I've met have at one point mentioned something about my "lanky white ass" or something to that effect, and virtually all but one or two that come to mind have used the n word quite extensively. What makes them better than us so that they can say a word that we cannot? Nothing. I have nothing against black people as a whole, and most often, not even individually. This isn't just with black people. White people do it too, as a way to fit in, so to speak with black people. The problem stems from black culture. Again, I am not rasict, and I'm quite possibly the most tolerant person I know. I say this from a non-biased perspective, recognizing a problem.

AtmaWeapon
07-26-2004, 07:08 PM
I'm glad to see there are still people who see clearly left. I've felt this way for a long time, but being white from Mississippi such comments get you branded "racist" faster than a Congressman at a friend's birthday party.

Jigglysaint
07-26-2004, 08:08 PM
I seriously hope this problem does end up fixing itself.

Of course, to be quite honest, people of ALL races and cultues are struggling with problems with their youth. There has to be a way to stop this circle of this cultural entrophy.

Brian
07-26-2004, 09:10 PM
I entirely agree with what Cosby said. He was attacking the whole ghetto thug culture that is so popular among blacks today, so of course that also got many people mad at him. Just imagine if a what person had said what he said... I can already imagine the fireworks. ;)

VT_Hokie_Fan
07-26-2004, 09:36 PM
I agree. After I heard that, I put Bill Cosby on my "Ownz" list. It's really getting out of hand. This gay kid(really, not just weird) walked into class and started saying things like "shizzit" and "Badonkadonk". I know what they are, I've heard a lot of rap music on the radio on the bus ride home, but this gangsta culture is spreading far and wide, and to be completely honest, no good can possibly come out of it.

Dechipher
07-26-2004, 09:53 PM
My friends and I often use rap-ese as a joke, but I can't stand people who actually think they're cool that use that. Most people who can't properly use the English language are just post-adolescants trapped in older bodies.

Radium
07-26-2004, 10:00 PM
I agree with Billy, aight holmes?

Jigglysaint
07-26-2004, 10:29 PM
I see nobody disagreeing here. I guess this sums up the mentality of the forums nicely.

That or all the ghetto thugs are hanging out in the ZC forums

Master Ghaleon
07-27-2004, 01:21 AM
I see nobody disagreeing here. I guess this sums up the mentality of the forums nicely.

That or all the ghetto thugs are hanging out in the ZC forums

Hey, Im from the Gaydo.

The only thing I like about Bill was his Puddin commercials

Ich
07-27-2004, 03:19 AM
I agree with him. The attitude of the black youth is like that of all kids everywhere, except they're worse by a few degrees. Like the mayor of Baltimore (?) said after some riots, "I don't know where the United States is heading, but Baltimore is going to get there first."

theplustwo
07-27-2004, 01:43 PM
Bill Cosby is one of "the men" and I think has the life experience to back up what he says.

Glitch
07-27-2004, 02:01 PM
http://www.kstatecollegian.com/issues/v101/sp/n147/pix/cosby.small.jpg
Cosby is the shiznit.

the_Real_hydra
07-27-2004, 02:04 PM
Bill Cosby Speak the truth!
I am NOT racist At ALL. I've got 4 black friend. The black people around here where I live have the whole southside of Lumberton. There is a Jr High school there Which I and everyone eles here in lumberton had or will be to go to. There is more black then whites That go there. The city of loberton is thinking about closing the school to build another one in a safer and better place for the young kids to go to school. To top it all of the Grade scale is WAY below normal. Its sad...

Link 101
07-28-2004, 07:02 PM
I like Bill Cosby and all, but I have to disagree. Now it isn't just balck youth struggling. There are a lot of white youth struggling. This is because they are beginning to take on black qualities. Dressing as black kids usually do, talking like them, walking like them, and now most youth these days listen to all the same rap-crap that almost all black kids listen too. So it isn't just the blacks, it is also the whites trying to BE blacks. This is a disapointment to me, because I see nothing cool in how they act or talk. So that is what I think.