PDA

View Full Version : Digital Directional Buttons

SirNiko
07-21-2004, 06:12 PM
Alrighty, I'm 99% sure that the majority of you playing Zelda classic are using (or wish you were using) a controller, to recreate that wonderful feeling of playing Zelda on the NES or SNES. I set up my Logitech pad so I could play, and it's been working great...

That is, save for one little problem. I can't set the directional controls (Move Link up down left right) to the digital control pad. I can use the analog stick (And I've been using it), but I really, REALLY wish I could use the digital pad instead. I'm either picky or a purist, you choose.

At any rate, is there in fact a method of doing this, and I'm just too dense to realize it? It is possible that it is the result of my purchasing a 5 dollar controller... (The analog stick gives me about 5 bucks worth of control, another reason why I want my digital crosspad!)

And, furthermore, if this is indeed something that simply cannot be done, then I humbly request it be considered for consideration in the next update! But that is for another forum, so I'll be sure to request it formally if/when I determine the reality of my situation...

Thanks a million, guys 'an gals!

-SirNiko

Dart Zaidyer
07-21-2004, 09:46 PM
The first thing to look for is a switch that disables the joystick on the controller. For example, I have an Interact Axis Pad, which is a PS2 controller ripoff. Just like a PS2 controller there's a switch to enable or disable the twin joysticks. Turning them off will turn over the controls to the D-pad, whereas while they're on it will only function as a POV Hat.

I hope that helps.

SirNiko
07-22-2004, 07:01 AM
Hmm.... my controller has no such switch. Then I suppose I'll have to purchase a superior model that does have one.

I use this same controller to play other games on my computer, and the directional pad works for them, so I'm certain that the pad isn't totally dysfunctional.

I'm gonna see if I can't borrow a control pad from my bro, and test that out. Maybe it is simply the pad.

-SirNiko

Exdeath
07-22-2004, 12:15 PM
You can simply use a program like joy2key.

http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA016823/joytokey/english.html

I use this to get the digital pad on my N64 controller to work in Zelda Classic. Check it out, you can use it to make a controller do just about anything or any configuration.

SirNiko
07-22-2004, 07:17 PM
Hm, hm. I downloaded 'Joy2Key', and played around with it. I also borrowed the controller from my brother, and he showed me some of the settings on Windows XP. Like Dart pointed out, the pad's just a Point of view Hat, and I can't make it behave in any other way. I guess that means that ZC just does not support the use of this POV Hat?

At any rate, i think this thread has turned into a "request", so I'm gonna put it on the appropriate board. Thanks for your input, guys. In the meanwhile, I'll just have to keep using my analog stick. I know, I know, but some how I'll survive...

-SirNiko

Exdeath
07-22-2004, 08:23 PM
You should be able to get joy2key to work, because that's exactly what I am doing. For many joypads with an analog and a digital pad, the digital pad is seen as regular buttons in both windows and joy2key. Maybe that's why you couldn't get it to work. The directions refer to the analog pad. Go try it again. I know it will work.

SirNiko
07-22-2004, 10:08 PM
The digital pad doesn't seem to be treated as regular buttons on mine. I set up Joy2Key, and tried setting every button to a different letter, in hopes of determining what "Keys" the directions referred to. turns out, they aren't actually buttons, like a SNES controller has, but instead it's some kind of a disc that uses analog-type control. The name is "Point of View HAT", or something. I tried an internet seach, but didn't find very much on the subject, so I have to rely on what my sibling explained to me, which is possibly correct...

At any rate, no setting I placed in Joy2Key would allow me to get ANY output from the directional pad, though the analog stick worked great.

Sadly, my technical expertise is very limited, so it is entriely possible i'm overlooking some kind of an obvious setting... but I'm rather certain that isn't the case.

But thank you for the advice, man. if you think of anything new, or another thing to try, just post it.

-SirNiko