PDA

View Full Version : treasure chests

sivart0
07-17-2004, 11:56 PM
i used idontknow's tutorial to make locked chests and it doesn't work. can somebody help me?

idontknow
07-18-2004, 12:12 AM
Perhaps i should help you--did you...
1. Make each of the following 3 combos?:
>>One combo with a Tile of a locked treasure chest with the "lock block" property
>>The next consecutive combo after the previous one with a Tile of an unlocked treasure chest with the "slash" property
>>Tile of an opened treasure chest with the "-" or "undefined" property
2. Place the locked treasure chest combo on the screen and then place flag #10 (armos->item) over it
3. Set the room type to "special item" and then select the special item to be placed in the treasure chest?
4. Select the opened treasure chest combo & then set it to be your undercombo?

When you tested the quest did you:
1. Move link over the locked treasure chest while he had at least one key?
2. Then slash the unlocked treasure chest with your sword, which opens the chest & reveals the special item?

Other Key points:
>The item inside is the "special item", via the "special item" room type, not the regular item
>Flag 10 must be placed over the treasure chest to work
>The unlocked treasure chest combo (with the "slash" type) must immediately follow the locked treasure chest in the combo list.

sivart0
07-18-2004, 12:28 AM
yes i did all of that. the chest opens but there is no item.
EDIT: does it have something to do with the dmap?

idontknow
07-18-2004, 08:00 PM
Nope, dmap doesn't matter. Make sure there is an "armos->item" flag (NOT armos->secret) on the treasure chest on the screen & that the room type "special item" is set & then go to "Data->special item" and make sure something other than "none" appears.

(Also, make sure a guy & message string aren't set)

In addition, if you are making a treasure chest where you want to open it with a key & then suddenly have the item show, that is not what i was trying to show cuz its not really possible, you have to have "slash" combo in between the locked chest & then opened treasure chest because slash combos are what cause the special item to appear from an "armos->item" flag, not the lock block combo

I suppose i'll check this out myself & see if there's anything else but this should work just the way i described--hmm...

Freedom
07-18-2004, 09:58 PM
It is possible to have an item in a locked chest.
make the top halfs of a large chest lockblocks and put them on layer 3
make the bottom halfs lockblocks and put them on layer 1 or 2
put the bottom of the chest on layer 0
plce the item on the bottom of the chest and the top will hide it since it's on layer 3
now using a key will open the chest and let you get the item inside.

making the lockblocks.
the top changes to a clear tile (no see em')
the sides change from all no walk to top protion only no walk.
this prevents the player from getting the item without the key first triggering the chest.

in this version you just put in an item using the positioning (rupie) square, no "special item"