PDA

View Full Version : File Trouble

Questwizard88
07-17-2004, 10:14 AM
I have a big problem with a certain file. I downloaded a zip, and attempted to extract the file that was inside the zip. UltimateZip 2.7, the program i was using, said the extract failed, then crashed when i pressed the ok button. Now, the file is stuck in a directroy, and none of the standard file operations can be preformed on it (delete, move, copy, cut, paste), with the exception of moving to a subdirectory of the directory it is in. I have tried using the command prompt to delete, or at least rename the file, but the filename has a space in it, so that plan didn't work. Is there any way i can get rid of this file without having to format and reinstall windows xp?

Here's what i've tried:

Delete, rename, move, using command prompt
Game Maker 5.0's file delete, rename functions
Deleted UltimateZIp, the program that was most likely using the file (exe's, dll's, registry entries, everything)
Closed all non-critical processes, then used game maker functions and command prompt

Rainman
07-17-2004, 12:41 PM
If it has a space in it it usually has another name that DOS uses. Like the "program files" folder is something similar to "progra~1" You can usually find that name using the dir command in the directory that the file is in.

I don't know if that'll help or not. :shrug: