PDA

View Full Version : Barbecued bees, anyone? o_O

4matsy
07-15-2004, 11:10 AM
This morning, I was looking around the net for info on Africanized honey bees, more commonly known as "killer" bees. I found this page...

http://www.stingshield.com/nesting_sites.htm

with pictures of a few places where killer bees made huge nests. Unlike regular honeybees, killer bees aren't as selective about where they make their nests, so they can show up in all sorts of strange locations, like the BBQ grill halfway down the page...I can imagine the look on the guy's face when he opened that thing up...:laughing:

The size of these things (one of them is said to weigh 80 pounds) scares me...if I hear anything that even remotely sounds like bees in my walls, I'm packing up and leaving town. :scared:

SixTen
07-15-2004, 11:31 AM
Shit man. I hate bees. That would suck to find out you suddenly have a couple hundred new roommates.

*b*
07-15-2004, 11:40 AM
http://www.stingshield.com/hive_in_garage_wall.jpg
if I ever found something like that, I tell you I would NOT be standing next to it smiling... x.x

me2
07-15-2004, 12:33 PM
Another very large nest located in a homeowner's wall void. If disturbed, killer bee nests of this size are potentially life-threatening. Nest extermination should be only undertaken by a professional.

Err... Potentially? Why wasn't it called the "Potential-killer bee"? I swear, if I see a killer bee's nest in my wall, I would run at least two and a half miles away. I'm not risking my life like that stupid kid. What if there were a coulpe hundred more bees in that nest?

sagelink
07-15-2004, 12:42 PM
if I ever found something like that, I tell you I would NOT be standing next to it smiling... x.x

Couldn't agree more.... ugh.

lord_jamitossi
07-15-2004, 12:45 PM
Um... that was a dead nest. Read the caption. No risk whatsoever.

That being said, I'd still be a few miles away.

AtmaWeapon
07-15-2004, 01:07 PM
Killer bees scare me more than probably any other insect. Not only will they make their nest just about anywhere, they are very sensitive and get offended very easily. Normal bees only swarm if you do something stupid like use their hive as a football. Killer bees swarm if you do something horrible like mow grass within 10 yards of their hive.

hidden nests + ur ded if u find it = owned by bees

Jigglysaint
07-15-2004, 01:10 PM
Arn't killer beers deadly because they can sting over and over, and are easily agitated?

sivart0
07-15-2004, 01:13 PM
i hate anything that stings or bites. if i saw a nest like that i would probably do something stupid and use a can of butter-flavored cooking spray and a lighter or a butane torch. 0wn3d

slothman
07-15-2004, 03:41 PM
I was watching a show about killer bees. What they did was replace the killer bee queen with a regular queen and then some other weird stuff. The killer bees then acted like regular bees.

sivart0
07-15-2004, 04:09 PM
that's odd. perhaps the queen lets off a scent of some sort?

slothman
07-15-2004, 04:18 PM
I think some of the other "weird" stuff they did was to remove left over scents from the old queen.

Artex
07-15-2004, 04:24 PM
Damn.....I'd literally be running (and that's a first().....*shudders and closes the picture window*.....tha's just creepy.

sivart0
07-15-2004, 04:25 PM
that's just creepy. wait, i hear a buzzing in my walls.... RUN AWAY!

biggiy05
07-15-2004, 04:28 PM
I dont care how many bees have a nest somewhere around me i hate em and i dont wanna walk into my basement one day after i come home and see that a few hundred killer bees are making a nest in the support beams of my basement. Id be telling the exterminator you fuck up my comp your a dead man.

Yoshiman
07-15-2004, 09:54 PM
I was watching a show about killer bees. What they did was replace the killer bee queen with a regular queen and then some other weird stuff. The killer bees then acted like regular bees.
Maybe it's the queen that gives the orders to act like killer bees :shrug:. But what's amazing is that the killer bees didn't mutilate the new queen.

If there was a giant nest like that in my house... *shudder* I wouldn't be in the house, that's for sure.

AtmaWeapon
07-15-2004, 11:13 PM
Arn't killer beers deadly because they can sting over and over, and are easily agitated?

I'm not sure if they can sting multiple times, but they tend to swarm. 1,000+ bee stings is not a good thing.

I'd literally be running (and that's a first().....*shudders and closes the picture window*.....tha's just creepy.

It would do you no good. If I remember right, bees can fly faster than humans can run.

Radium
07-16-2004, 12:00 AM
Hah those are cool, that would be neat to see in person. Could make an excellent movie out of the whole killer bee idea... But I think it's been done.