PDA

View Full Version : Prioritizing and cleanup of bugs

fatcatfan
07-15-2004, 03:03 AM
First, some of you could help me out a lot by starting at the last page of the bug forums and checking threads there and testing for the bugs listed in those threads. Make sure you have it set to show all threads from the beginning, not just the last month, though I think I have that set as the default for all the bug forums. Also, be sure to include the "quarantined" bug forum. Reply to those threads to either confirm or deny the continued presence of the bugs. Someone with the proper access will then move it to the exterminated forum if the bug has been taken care of. Continue working your way backwards through the threads and testing for the continued presence of the bugs they describe.

Next, prioritizing bugs. I made a thread about this before the forums took a trip through time, but people missed the point. Yes, anything that crashes or corrupts data should take top priority. Anything that causes problems with playing should be next (after all, most ZCers are players, I'd say). That includes unexpected behavior from the engine that frustrates quest designers intent. Of a similar priority are problems in ZQuest which frustrate design. Everything else is probably relatively minor.

But that was never the point of my thread. I want opinions from you testers about specific bugs that you personally want fixed. Some of you have pet bugs that really irritate you. Tell me what those are. Your input will help me decide what to work on. We have a lot of bugs and picking a place to start isn't easy. I hope to try this in waves - you tell me your pet bugs, I fix them, then you pick some pets from those that remain, I fix those, etc.

Where possible, try to link me to the thread in the bug forums related to your pet bug when posting in this thread. That will help me to clean out the bug forum once I've fixed it, and hopefully provide more specific info for me to identify, locate, and squash the bug.

Nick
07-15-2004, 11:32 AM
I mentioned this in the older thread, but ZC Windowed is extremely unstable.

I've heard instances from many people where it crashes for no really interesting reason... and it's happened to me a few times. The only time I can really recall was when I was viewing a string... but I dunno if that is the only cause.

ZQuest Windowed works fine, though. :shrug:

*b*
07-15-2004, 12:16 PM
my highest priority would be Imorting/Exporting in Alpha 3. it's becoming a real hassle, because I can't import tilesets when I want to work on something new

DarkFlameWolf
07-15-2004, 05:21 PM
Dealing with playing with the ZC Player:
First and foremost: the continue bug! Get this squashed permenantly. Tell it to ONLY recognize Entrance/Exit warps as the ONLY warps it should be referring to when finding a spot to continue Link at. Furthermore, if that fails, have it FALL back onto another line of code which defaults it to screen 00. So that way, we can prepare that screen just in case the program fails and then instawarp the player back to the real entrance.
Second: Eliminate all problems with enemies, this includes Patra 2 and Patra 3 where a lone minion bug would be lost at the bottom of the screen making the enemy near impossible to defeat.
Third: When entering passageways or stairs or collecting a triforce piece or revealing or beating Ganon in his room on a screen THAT HAS LAYERS. Those layers disappear briefly. Please fix this.

Those are my pet peeves, right now.....

fatcatfan
07-15-2004, 05:39 PM
Okay, but I've already said it, the current problems you are experiencing with continuing aren't bugs. At the moment, I don't recall why side warps get treated as e/e warps, but they were already treated that way when I started working to fix the continue problems. It wasn't accidental, it was specific and intentional. Instead we need to address the issues that are causing you to design you quest in such a way to experience these. I assure you, if I made it stop treating side warps the way it currently does, it would only introduce another "bug" someone would post about later.

*b*
07-15-2004, 06:15 PM
ah, another bug. the BS Animation is still screwed up. it still goes 1>1>2 instead of 1>2>1>3

ShadowTiger
07-15-2004, 06:19 PM
... :odd: .. I don't get that bug at all. I seriously think it's the tiles in question you're using. Which version are you using? I suggest a double-check.

LinktheMaster
07-15-2004, 06:36 PM
One of the most annoying bugs for me is the combo and tile moving problem. I need to clean up my tiles, but I can't really do that because moving them creates problems with animations, and combo cycling. :shrug:
This has probably been brought up annoying, but I find it very irritating. <.<

Freedom
07-16-2004, 01:36 AM
I agree with LTM, I moved over 800 cycling combos and now have to re-enter all the "next" combo coordinates in every one.

The hookshot is a bad one, it doesn't recognize the hookshot combo setting from 192/183 & 184 to 193 Alpha 3 so older quests are unplayable.
It seems to also have a problem crossing 2 hookshot over combos in a row.

Continue bug...
It is possible to get around this with quest design, and it seems to no longer cause the triforce piece to not register sometimes in a level, but even so it's easy to do a sidewarp and forget to set the green and blue positioning flags causing a continue error.
I mentioned in another post...
Why can't a dead player be sent to the coordinates specified on the dmap he dies on?
It seems to me this would cure all problems, as then a quest designer would have the option to set dmap continue screen numbers to react the way he wants his quest to function.
He would then know where a dead player would end up regardless of any warps he sticks in.

plith
07-16-2004, 09:36 PM
I'm with Freedom on this one. Hookshot bug is bad because it makes older quests virtually unplayable. Here (http://www.armageddongames.net/showthread.php?t=79393)'s the original bug report.
And it seems to me like continuing in dungeons should work just like in caves and overworld areas. I don't see why it can't, but I have no idea what the code looks like, so I'll just keep my mouth shut for now.

*b*
07-17-2004, 12:17 PM
... :odd: .. I don't get that bug at all. I seriously think it's the tiles in question you're using. Which version are you using? I suggest a double-check.

I posted a link in the Bug Reports Forum, go read it

Cloral
07-18-2004, 01:47 AM
Well there are a few causing problems with the quest I've been working on:

1) Link can fall through the ground with pit combos if he's standing halfway on one. He needs to be entirely on pit combos before he should fall through - or should be pushed over when he falls to give the appearance that he slipped into the hole. The main point here is the landing position should not be underneath solid blocks, as this can screw with the design of the destination room.

2) Hookshot grabbing is half a row off. If you stand in the upper half of a tile and fire horizontally, the hookshot will look at the next row up to find a point to grab onto - meaning that you cannot grab onto targets in the same row, and you can grab targets you should not be able to reach (which can lead to Link being stuck in a pit or something).

3) Link will use the ladder on hookshot only combos - making them function exactly like ladder only combos. This one makes a couple of puzzles in the quest pointless (since they're in a dungeon and therefore I cannot turn off ladder usage on those screens).

Blonde799
07-21-2004, 04:33 PM
Now FCF, if you explained it better last time...:p

Anyway, I've decided to go to the quarantined bug forum, and confirm the existance of the bugs. But since I'm not on a lot, it'll be done at a slow pace.

One thing I'd like to ask though:I was wondering about an exterminated bug list. Would everyone like this, instead of a forum? I'm sure it can be updated, with information in regards to a new alpha/beta, and then everyone can look at that, instead of multiple topics, in case a certain bug has been revived. Just asking for general approval really, I won't be able to compile one until this weekend maybe. If it won't be useful to anyone, we could just stick to the forum.

NerdWarrior
07-21-2004, 09:12 PM
Blonde: That's an excellent idea, at the least we wouldn't have to look through whatever number of threads it is in the bug forums. I'm sitting around testing bugs, and I'll report back when I find something new.

fatcatfan
07-22-2004, 09:08 PM
my highest priority would be Imorting/Exporting in Alpha 3. it's becoming a real hassle, because I can't import tilesets when I want to work on something new

Since we've changed the quest format somewhat, it's going to create some problems with importing older export formats. At least until we add compatibility, which is I guess waht you want anyway :p

fatcatfan
07-25-2004, 04:56 PM
Second: Eliminate all problems with enemies, this includes Patra 2 and Patra 3 where a lone minion bug would be lost at the bottom of the screen making the enemy near impossible to defeat.
Third: When entering passageways or stairs or collecting a triforce piece or revealing or beating Ganon in his room on a screen THAT HAS LAYERS. Those layers disappear briefly.

Both of these have been fixed now. I fixed Ganon, DN fixed the others.

Cloral
07-25-2004, 05:35 PM
I've got one more:

Link will often become stuck if you change directions while on a conveyor. This can make fighting enemies while on conveyors incredibly annoying.