PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo, Nintendo, Nintendo!

Rainman
07-13-2004, 04:49 AM
First off, I should mention this isn't a post bashing Nintendo. Not at all. I grew up with it. It helped to elevate gaming into my most significant past time. In general, I owe Nintendo a lot.

Lately however, I have lost interest in it. No, I haven't joined the group of gamers who fervently proclaim "Gamecube sucks!" or "Nintendo games are too kiddie!!" I am readily able to concede that there are many good games that are on Nintendo's new systems. I still don't think I'll ever purchase a Gamecube. The reason is that I no longer fancy console gaming as I used to. PC gaming as it stands now offers much more that suits my tastes much better.

Now, that was the long winded way of saying, "I don't like Nintendo as much as you guys." The point is that I've noticed most of the topics lately either pertain to a Nintendo game, character, or console. This inevitably brings to mind the question "Why?" Is Nintendo the only company that can quench your gaming needs?

I realize that this forum has a large Zelda fanbase which would mean a large Nintendo fanbase as well. I still find it odd that seemingly few people have grown beyond strict loyalty to a specific system/company.

Perhaps I should clearly state my questions: Why the apparent preoccupation with Nintendo based products? Is it really all that great? Is there no other system that you enjoy?

DarkPanther
07-13-2004, 10:11 AM
I think it's lack of interaction with other consoles, honestly.

Think back, seriously, and how many people have converted over the 3 years or so you've been on here and gone from strictly Nintendo to "OMG wow I can't believe I didn't try this console or game-on-this-console sooner!" At least a dozen. But, it's been every single person that's done it to our public knowledge. I've been a big Sony fan - but dang, what I would've give to have an Xbox w/XBL (though I'd probably either end up divorced or have to get AA online with one as well). ;) I also got a GC this year, but mostly for AA and I to play games together that I knew she'd like more (Mario Kart DD, etc.).

And IMO, anyone who says console gaming > PC has never played on a gaming PC. I intend to have a new pimpin' PC by the beginning of next year and I'll probably finally ditch console gaming for the most part, though my opinion could still be swayed depending what info comes to light on the next gen consoles.

But you're right. If a thread isn't related to a Nintendo game or console, it dies faster than an armed Arab walking into an airport due to lack of input/experience.

vegeta1215
07-13-2004, 01:18 PM
I think certain games are better on PCs such as fps and strategy games, and other games are better on consoles like adventures games and platformers. RPGs can go either way. I tend to like both PC and console games.

For me, I have been a Nintendo fan for a long time, and they have not let me down yet. I continue to buy Nintendo products because I know I will like them and I know I will get my moneys worth - most of my games are Nintendo 1st party titles. There are a lot of games I would like to play, some of which I do get a chance to play and buy (like some of the non-Nintendo games I have for the Gamecube and GBA), but I don't have the time or money to buy and play all the games I want to, let alone purchase another console. Heck, I waited until 2003 to buy a Gamecube!

The PS2 and X-Box don't have any games that appeal to me. For a while, the Final Fantasy series was appealing to me, and I bought a PSone to play Final Fantasy VII again. I think the PSone is a really nice system. I also bought Castlevania: SoTN, and Chrono Cross (SoTN was fun, but I liked CoTM for GBA better. Chrono Cross was a big dissapointment) But there aren't a lot of other games I want to play on it. Maybe Legend of Mana if I can find it for a good price.

Aside from all that, I must play all new Zelda and Metroid games. They are my favorite series and keep getting better :D

EDIT: It has been a lot less active on AGN lately. Nevermind people not replying to non-Nintendo topics. I must admit though, I can't reply to topics about games I'm never played on a system I don't have.

*b*
07-13-2004, 02:05 PM
I think it's because Nintendo started off almost all the currently popular series, like Zelda, Mario, Final Fantasy, Metroid, MegaMan, and Kirby. I mean, what series does Sony have that draws people in to keep playing? and I don't mean Final Fantasy, because that was origionally for Nintendo. I mean a series of games that THEY created. the only one I can think of is Tomb Raider, and I haven't heard much of that latley

and X-Box just came out on the market, so they don't really have any standby games, do they?

I think it could also be that Nintendo came first, making people more familliar with them. and since they did come first, their series' are better known, and have proven themselves to be a good play over the years

Kairyu
07-13-2004, 04:16 PM
X-Box's first party major hits:
-Halo
-Halo
-Ha-... uh, are there any others? I don't know, I don't have one, sooo...

That's thr-... uh, one with an upcoming sequel.

Sony's first party major hits:

I can't think of any, but that's probably because I can't think of very many game series BY Sony.

Nintendo's first party major hits:
-Mario
-Zelda
-DK
-Pocket Monsters
-Kirby
-Metroid
-F-Zero
-Star Fox

Okay, that's 8 I thought of off the top of my head.

I think that's why.

I will say, though, that I find Nintendo's multiplayer approach interesting: they mantain that internet play is just a fad, but agressively push for multiplayer experience in their games. Don't the two sorta work well together?

Mak-X
07-13-2004, 05:32 PM
I generally enjoy playing games by Nintendo more than any other games. It's not a case of being bias. I also think they make some of the best games there are. The Legend of Zelda, Mario, Metroid, these are games I want to spend my time playing.

It's also a matter of money and how much there is to spend on another console vs. using the money on a few games for a console I already own.

I'd like to get an Xbox to play Ninja Gaiden, but that is a $200 investment to think about.

I have a capable PC and DSL so its not that I don't play PC games because I can't, but because the games I'm most interested in are on consoles.

Grasshopper
07-13-2004, 06:12 PM
"I don't like Nintendo as much as you guys." Well, I was going to say that I don't like console games as much as you guys, and more into PCs, but I see DarkPanther put it that way anyway.
anyone who says console gaming > PC has never played on a gaming PC....wait, I guess I did say that already. :rolleyes: My gaming PC is slowly being transformed into a fossilized chunck of plastic and metal. So I should be in the need of getting another one soon. Fact is, I have a Gamecube, and failed to play it very much. I loose count of the 20-30+ titles I may have, but I can tell you that most seem to get about 30 minutes to an hour of play. I even decided to go out on a limb and purchase a PS2, albeit it was for Silent Hill and Amplitude, but so what. I thought it could bring my console playing days out of the ditch, but stilll yet, it remains there rotting amongst itself. My PS2 is now getting played less often the my Gamecube. And I can't tempt myself to by an Xbox with false hope as I would end up just letting money go in the wind. In the end, I just found out that no system is any better than the rest, unless you actually like it. I'll always have my face glued to a PC monitor. If Doom 3 doesn't release on the 4th like Gamestop and EB predict, or if Half-Life 2 slips into another year of development just so they can wait for Christmas to role back around again, I might crawl up into a fetal position, and remain that way for all eternity. I'll still play console games. I know a few that are on my must-get list. Some PC games just can't replace certain types of console games. And what will I do during those "I want on the computer, but someone is using it" times. :)

deathbyhokie
07-13-2004, 06:48 PM
my main reason for getting a GC was the price around Christmastime. now that x-box has dropped in price, it's on my list of what i want ot buy(when i have money, that is)

Rainman
07-13-2004, 11:17 PM
EDIT: It has been a lot less active on AGN lately. Nevermind people not replying to non-Nintendo topics. I must admit though, I can't reply to topics about games I'm never played on a system I don't have.

But everyone has a PC here right. ;) I'm not by any means telling people to buy the other consoles. If this topic is supporting anything it's PC gaming, but not explicitly. Of course, everyone has different tastes. While I my view of console gaming as that of a past time that's losing relevence, others might (and probably) disagree.

I will admit though that the Gameboy DS looks pretty sweet. I would buy it if I had money not allocated towards college.

Dart Zaidyer
07-14-2004, 12:17 AM
For that innovative gaming experience that won't let you down, you can't go wrong with Nintendo.

PC gaming these days is always a gamble, especially considering that the game may become unplayable on the Computers Of Tomorrow. (Remember Wing Commander 3? Kickass game, bitch to get working on a modern system.)

vegeta1215
07-14-2004, 03:24 AM
I have a PC, but it's old (Pentium III 450). It's fine for now though. I can play all the Quake games (my favorites) and many others. Once I get a newer PC I'd like to play Warcraft III, and the next Quake whenever that comes out, but thats it really. My Gamecube and GBA fill most of my gaming needs. ;)

MottZilla
07-15-2004, 12:59 PM
You know what's neat about PC titles is there is no licensing crap like with PS2, GC, or Xbox. I noticed that new spiderman 2 game is something like 20$ cheaper for PC. :o

Anyways, I'm by no means a Nintendo freak. I own a good array of systems.

I have..

NES (2x)
SNES
N64
GameBoy Pocket
GameBoy Advance
GameCube
Sega Genesis
Sega Saturn
Sega Game Gear
Sega DreamCast
Playstation (2x - One Model 7501, One PSOne Model 101)
Xbox

You can tell I started off with Nintendo, but that's because that IS how I started off, but then I moved onto Sega and Sony later on.

{DSG}DarkRaven
07-15-2004, 07:24 PM
I'm a nintendo fan because of the brand power, I suppose. It's like an old friend I used to spend a lot of time with. Life is busier now, so we don't get to see each other AS often (between my PC, my job, and school), but we do spend some time talking every other day, and roughly once a week we spend the night just having fun. Nintendo has always been there for me, on rainy days, days when I was sick, days when I was bored. Nintendo has never let me down. It was always there with it's familiar feel, it's friendly faces, it's good old fashioned reliability. I could always count on Nintendo. It's part of who I am. If I ever lost that part of me, I'd have a hole that nothing else could ever fill. I grew up with it. It never went on vacation or had other things to do. It always cheered me up when I was sad. It has shaped me into who I am, and those are memories that can never be replaced or surpassed.

In case you couldn't tell, I was being overly emotional on purpose. But that part about memories and whatnot, that's true. I spent hundreds of hours playing on my NES as a kid. It was my equivalent of otherwise fulfilling physical activity.

King Link
07-19-2004, 07:02 PM
I think most people are preoccupied with because they have developed, Nintendo fanboyism, mostly because many have grown up with the NES and SNES (although the generations are younger now, and more and more of them remember growing up with SNES and N64). However, it's just what many have become used to playing; Nintendo.

I, however, have branched off from Nintendo. I don't own a PS2 or an Xbox, but I recently got a brand new, top-of-the-line, powerful computer, so I can play a much wider variety of games than exists on any three of the current home consoles.

I still favour Nintendo above all others, mostly because of its great franchises. However, I also enjoy PC gaming because it increases the gaming library available.

GerrardCapashen
07-19-2004, 11:02 PM
To follow what many people have already said in this thread ... nintendo is the one that started it all. It's the one you played when you had 3 years old. It's the one that evolved into the super nes, which has the best kick ass RPGs of all times in my opinion. But what I really think makes talking of nintendo more ... um shall I say interesting or appealing ... is that nintendo does not only produce games, it also creates an atmosphere around it's games. The recurring of the same characters over and over again feels like there is a story on that or something. I just remember how much I used to play super metroid on my old SNES (I really mean it, like I was finishing the game in like an hour and half :P). Each time a new system comes out from nintendo you can expect to see you good old game parteners you used to play with on older nintendo system. I think it is what is lacking on other consoles as well as PC. Thers is no wolrd of playstation or world of XBox but there is indeed a world of nintendo. And that is why Sega fell down IMHO. It has one famous character : Sonic, a couples of series like Phantasy Star ... but all the rest was really a lot or arcade stuff. I don't say all the games on the Sega systems were bad, there were some really good games, but they just couldn't match up with all nintendo stars.

Seriously, the game cube may not offer 30 bazillions of port extensions and extensive internet play like the PS2, XBOX and PC could bring, but it's cheap ... and playing within this atmosphere nintendo created over the last 20 years ... it makes me feel kinda nostalgic.

AlexMax
07-20-2004, 03:17 PM
First off, I should mention this isn't a post bashing Nintendo. Not at all. I grew up with it. It helped to elevate gaming into my most significant past time. In general, I owe Nintendo a lot.

Lately however, I have lost interest in it. No, I haven't joined the group of gamers who fervently proclaim "Gamecube sucks!" or "Nintendo games are too kiddie!!" I am readily able to concede that there are many good games that are on Nintendo's new systems. I still don't think I'll ever purchase a Gamecube. The reason is that I no longer fancy console gaming as I used to. PC gaming as it stands now offers much more that suits my tastes much better.

Now, that was the long winded way of saying, "I don't like Nintendo as much as you guys." The point is that I've noticed most of the topics lately either pertain to a Nintendo game, character, or console. This inevitably brings to mind the question "Why?" Is Nintendo the only company that can quench your gaming needs?

I realize that this forum has a large Zelda fanbase which would mean a large Nintendo fanbase as well. I still find it odd that seemingly few people have grown beyond strict loyalty to a specific system/company.

Perhaps I should clearly state my questions: Why the apparent preoccupation with Nintendo based products? Is it really all that great? Is there no other system that you enjoy?

I ended up following the exact same train of thought. It led me to getting an Xbox.

To follow what many people have already said in this thread ... nintendo is the one that started it all.

Does nobody remember the Atari 2600? :(

gdorf
07-20-2004, 05:18 PM
For that innovative gaming experience that won't let you down, you can't go wrong with Nintendo.

PC gaming these days is always a gamble, especially considering that the game may become unplayable on the Computers Of Tomorrow. (Remember Wing Commander 3? Kickass game, bitch to get working on a modern system.)

No harder than it would be to get Mario 64 to run on SNES, nes, GBA, or Gameboy. There are times when a complete revamp is needed in technology; times when you must sacrifice backward-compatibilty for future opportunities. AGP replacing PCI for video is a good example of this.

However, it is no different for consoles. Consoles (save for the ps2/gba) aren't backward compatible. If you want to play the original "The Legend of Zelda" cartridge, your going to have to own a NES. In fact, I'd say this problem is more prevelent in consoles, because with enough work you can get Wing commander 3 to run on a modern system. With PC's its a bitch, with consoles its a physical impossibility.

If you guys haven't noticed, I am a big fan of PC games. I think that a decent computer system with a decent usb-controller has more potential than any single console. And I love my mouse. period. :P

Grasshopper
07-20-2004, 08:39 PM
Does nobody remember the Atari 2600? :(
Well, I'll just go back further. What about Pong... or Space Wars. Yeah, thats right SPACE WARS!. ;)

And for me the mouse and keyboard is perfection. :)

GerrardCapashen
07-20-2004, 11:47 PM
Well, I'll just go back further. What about Pong... or Space Wars. Yeah, thats right SPACE WARS!. ;)

And for me the mouse and keyboard is perfection. :)

Yeah well ok people ... let's say that nintendo is the one that released a system that pretty much everybody was going to be able to buy, that had a decent number of games on etc.

And yeah, I know that keyboard and mouse makes pretty good controller (have you ever tried to play UT with a controller pad :scared: ).

No harder than it would be to get Mario 64 to run on SNES, nes, GBA, or Gameboy. There are times when a complete revamp is needed in technology; times when you must sacrifice backward-compatibilty for future opportunities. AGP replacing PCI for video is a good example of this.

I know that we all have to change to higher technology someday. The difference though, between consoles and PC is that it is less likely you will be able to keep it for a looong time (and I mean like 15 years by that). PCs have to tendency to break, stop, malfunction, explode :evil: , more often than consoles do. Is there someone here that really still have a computer that is more than 10-12 years old, that is still functioning VERY WELL ... a computer of 10-12 years old that really had no parts broken since 10 years. If there is, there must not be a mob of them. On the other hand, i still have my old SNES I bought in 1991, and it still works perfectly (beside one of the controller which I bashed way too much back in that time :D ). Another thing to consider is that changing to a higher level computer may costs you $1500-$2000 CAN or so, changing to the next generation console will costs you at most $600 CAN, and that is when they just got out. Don't think that I'm an anti-PC gamer .... I've got a P4 2.66 Ghz and an ATI Radeon 9800 pro in my box and I enjoy new games like far cry just as you do :cool:

Truly there is good sides and bad sides to PC and console gaming, but know that neither console gaming will replace PC gaming nor PC will replace consoles. It's two entirely different worlds.