PDA

View Full Version : UT linux help

Masamune
07-12-2004, 07:50 PM
So, I feel like getting out my old copy of Unreal Tournament and I realize I'm running linux until I can come up with a more suitable OS. I downloaded the thing it tells me, (ut-install-436.run). Now, what do I do with it? Sorry I'm a real linux newb. ^_^ I'm using mandrake 8.2 if that helps. =D

Rainman
07-12-2004, 10:41 PM
You could always install Windows. :P

vegeta1215
07-13-2004, 01:14 AM
Mandrake 8.2? Ooh...I'd recommend upgrading if you can. I had Mandrake 8.1 for almost two years, and upgrading to Mandrake 9.2 was a huge improvement. More up to date apps, newer and faster kernel, better Mandrake utilities, etc.

The file you have is most likely an executable. You might be able to open up a file manager like Konqueror (from KDE) and click on the file to launch it, but you can surely launch it via the command line. Open a terminal and cd to the directory containing ut-install-436.run, and type './ut-install-436.run'.

It should run if the file has executable permissions (I'm not sure whether you have to be root or not to install the program) Also, I'm not sure whether you need OpenGL acceleration from your video card to run the game (like what you get from NVIDIA's drivers) Really, some more info would help ;)

btw, I highly recommend checking out Mandrake's Starter and Command-line guides. I used them when I started out with Linux, and I found them to be easy to follow and very handy. http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/fdoc.php3

AlexMax
07-13-2004, 02:44 AM
You could always install Windows. :P

INSTALL WINDOWS PROBLEM SOLVED LOLOLL THIS GUY IS A COMIC GENIUS RIGHT HERE!1111

Yeah, it sounds like you have an executable. Just run it from the console (put a "./" in front of it first)

If you get some OpenGL related error, you probably need OpenGL accelerated drivers from your appropriate video card vendor, most of the drivers that come with a standard X install don't run it that well, if at all (This includes the included nvidia drivers, the nvidia drivers that come with X are basically placeholders until you download the 'real deal')

Once you get it running though, you're in for a surprise. It runs really well, and I'd say loads faster than the Windows XP equivilent.

Rainman
07-13-2004, 02:56 AM
What? I came up with the simplest, most effective solution.

theplustwo
07-13-2004, 03:23 AM
What? I came up with the simplest, most effective solution.If I told you I couldn't tie my shoes you would be like "Get velcro shoes!".

Rainman
07-13-2004, 03:37 AM
No, but that hardly applies to this situation.

EWild
07-13-2004, 08:40 AM
What? I came up with the simplest, most effective solution.

Unless he doesn't have a Windows install disk. Or he can't find one. Then you suggestion isn't the most effective/simplest.

Masamune
07-13-2004, 09:02 AM
It doesn't do anything. =( I've tried typing out that command and it just stops and quits after it asks me if I'd really like to run that program. My burner doesn't work on linux for some reason, so I wouldn't be able to burn the new mandrake isos. I'll wait till I finally get XP up and running. I really want to give linux a try, because you know, I'm so worldly and open minded. =p

MottZilla
07-13-2004, 03:53 PM
I had linux once. It was neat, but it was really just for the hell of it. Maybe someday when I can have a dual boot thing going on and I feel like it.