PDA

View Full Version : Sounds of water in the background

mjctraider
06-22-2004, 09:30 PM
I have played a few quests where Link walks onto a screen with water and you can hear the sounds of water running plus the regular background music playing and I'm curious to know how that is done?

Tim
06-22-2004, 10:24 PM
The water is a sound effect. The music is a Midi.

mjctraider
06-22-2004, 10:40 PM
So then how is it done? I mean I know the music is a midi file, just would like to know what I could do to get the same effect for my quest.

Freedom
06-22-2004, 10:51 PM
In search I added a brook water sound fx to the sfx in place of the ocean sounds and then turned ocean sound on on each screen that had a waterfall, pretty simple really.

What would be nice is to have a few empty sfx slots to use and then control through screens and even better through secrets too.

mjctraider
06-22-2004, 10:56 PM
I'm assuming I need a program then to edit sfx.dat, becuase in looking at it the file is encrypted.

Cloral
06-22-2004, 10:59 PM
grabber is the program.
However, quests themselves can't edit this file. So if you played a quest and heard this effect, it wasn't through editing the sfx. Either they had a seperate MIDI for that area as was pointed out before, or what you were hearing was simply the ocean surf sound effect. That BTW is turned on by a screen flag called 'Ocean SFX'.

mjctraider
06-22-2004, 11:07 PM
Well a light bulb went off in my head and I went back to my quest and turned the Ocean SFX on and tested my quest. Instead of hearng the ocean surf, I heard the sound of water that I have been hearing in other quests I've played. I think this is beacause there was a quest that requested players downloading the sfx.dat file. So I have no need now to do any editing to the sound effects or anything else for that matter. I appreciated any help I received.

Edit: Oops don't know how I did a double post, but my sincere apologies and I hope I don't feel the wrath of the forum moderators. Again my apologies for accidentally double posting. Hopefully that second one can be deleted.

mjctraider
06-22-2004, 11:07 PM
Well a light bulb went off in my head and I went back to my quest and turned the Ocean SFX on and tested my quest. Instead of hearng the ocean surf, I heard the sound of water that I have been hearing in other quests I've played. I think this is beacause there was a quest that requested players downloading the sfx.dat file. So I have no need now to do any editing to the sound effects or anything else for that matter. I appreciate any help I received.

Freedom
06-23-2004, 12:20 AM
I gave out the sfx.dat with the search for Elise, so if you got it then all the quests you play will use my sound effects unless you put your sfx.dat back in.
It's quite a bit different then the original sfx.dat, I changed the hurt sound, the dying sound, the whistle, secrets, and water as well as some others, many of the sounds are LTTP while some others like the water didn't even come from a Zelda game.

SO... when you release your quest, unless you give them the sound file you are using it will sound different to them when they play it.

I've even changed it further now, but haven't uploaded the new changes, I made the heart sound when link is injured much softer and put in Ganondorf's Laugh in place of the old ganon sounds in the original LOZ