PDA

View Full Version : Some Old Coin

SixTen
06-19-2004, 11:39 PM
I've had this Roman bronze piece laying around and I have never gotten to see how much it is worth. When it was given to me, I was told that it was from the reign of Constantine, though I doubt that now, but considering I don't speak or read Latin I have no idea what to think.

Here is the writing on both sides of the coin as best as I can tell.

The Front:
TI CLAVDIVS CAESAR oV CVM TATIMPVP
Ti Claudius Caesar cum Tatimpup <-- Substituting the V's with U's
That is either an oV or a symbol that looks like an oV. There is some dude's head on the obverse, I would assume Emperor Claudius, by the name written around it, but I don't really know.

The Back:
???O CLAVDIVS DRVSVSGERM ANIMA
???o Claudius Drusvusgerm Anima <-- Again, V's and U's.
The reverse side shows some kind of gate it looks like with the letters S and C on either side.

I have no idea how much this is worth as the coin guy has never called me back. Anyway, here are some pictures (Large Images):

Front (http://img33.photobucket.com/albums/v101/sixten04/Obverse.jpg)

Back (http://img33.photobucket.com/albums/v101/sixten04/Reverse.jpg)

{DSG}DarkRaven
06-19-2004, 11:44 PM
Find another coin guy. Look on the internet. If it's from the reign of constantine, and it could be cleaned up a bit, that's something you could probably sell to a museum. It's not often you have two thousand year old coins lying around in the hands of the public.

SixTen
06-20-2004, 12:00 AM
Well, I was also wondering if anyone could translate the writing. I could probably look it up somewhere, but where's the fun in that?

Naked Jim
06-20-2004, 12:29 AM
If it's from the reign of constantine, and it could be cleaned up a bit, that's something you could probably sell to a museum.

Dude what ever you do, do NOT try and clean it up!!!!!! For some reason with coins they are worth less if you clean them and you also have a chance a damageing it. so i would try and find someone who knows some shit about coins and talk to them about it.

{DSG}DarkRaven
06-20-2004, 12:38 AM
Whoa, that's not what I meant, Jim. By no means should you try to clean this yourself, 610. Leave it to the professionals. I merely meant that IF it could be cleaned up by someone professional, it could be worth some greens.

Manny
06-20-2004, 12:21 PM
Wow thats pretty wild stuff! I always find stuff like that fascinating (perhaps our moneys will be precious jems someday?). Best of luck making something off of that, but if not, hey you got a 2000 year old coin!
-manny

Archibaldo
06-20-2004, 12:21 PM
You should try to make a wish on it. One time I saw a movie when this kid got an old greek coin and made a wish and his wish came true.

SixTen
06-20-2004, 02:40 PM
But it was a movie...or was it based on a true story.

Naked Jim
06-20-2004, 09:10 PM
Dude make a wish on it any way cause that would be so rad to wish for sex with 20 chicks at the same time and then have it come TRUE!!!!

SixTen
06-20-2004, 09:59 PM
Actually I think I would rather have no more money problems. Seeing as I have no way to pay for anythingafter this summer...and I'd rather have a steady girlfriend than sex with 20 chicks. I'm not too into Menage-a-Vingt.

Archibaldo
06-20-2004, 10:25 PM
It doesn't matter if it was just a movie. It couldn't hurt to make a wish anyway. I wish on alot of stuff hoping my wish will be granted.

DarkDragon
06-20-2004, 11:02 PM
I'm of the firm opinion that people's lives would be better if they devoted the time they waste wishing working towards making those wishes true instead.

I looked at some only coin catalogs, but coudn't find your coin, SixTen. Like others have said, take it to a dealer.

DarkPanther
06-21-2004, 12:05 AM
Looks like your Caesar in question is actually Nero Claudius Drusus.

Dunno what else to tell ya, but it's goin' here (http://www.vcoins.com/dmitrymarkov/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=104&large=0) for $750.

There's also some more information here (http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Parthenon/7094/claud4.html) with very clear front/back pics (top of page and half way down).

SixTen
06-21-2004, 12:49 AM
Well thanks. Someone actually kept this thread on topic and answered some of my questions. Thanks DarkPanther.

moocow
06-21-2004, 01:15 AM
and I'd rather have a steady girlfriend than sex with 20 chicks.

Then wish that I could have sex with 20 chicks. :D

biggiy05
06-21-2004, 12:09 PM
I went to freetranslations to try and translate it to english but they didnt have latin to english i suggest looking on google for latin to english translation sites, sorry i couldnt be of more help :(

Pablo
06-21-2004, 07:08 PM
I asked a friend of mine who's currently taking Latin to translate it for me, I should have the translation in a couple of days.

DarkPanther
06-22-2004, 09:20 AM
...dood ...you can't just have someone translate that text. It's more complicated than that.

The TI stands for TIBERIUS, then it simply says, CLAUDIUS CAESAR, and then AVG, which stands for AUGUSTUS, followed then by PM, which stands for PONTIFEX MAXIMUS, then TRP, standing for TRIBUNICIA POTESTATE or "with tribunician power", and lastly IMPPP which is IMPERATOR PATER PATRIAE which is to say "emperor, father of the country".

On the back, it names NERO CLAUDIUS DRUSUS GERMANI (short for Germanicus) with the final MP probably standing for something like IMPERATORIS or some other imperial salutation as he had about 27 at the time of his death. The S and C on either side of Nero's arch stand for SENATUS CONSULTO which means "by decree of the Senate".

This coin celebrated the early stages of the Roman conquest of Britain. I said Nero's Arch in reference to the back of the coin in the previous paragraph because this is similar to the arch the Senate awarded Nero on the Capitoline Hill after one of his successful military campaigns which appears on his coins.

Just go tell your friend you figured it out on your own.

lord of the pit
06-22-2004, 09:41 PM
HOLLY SHIT !! Did you look all that info up or did you already know that. That's realy cool!