PDA

View Full Version : Remote Assistance

ZeldaFan001
06-17-2004, 11:58 PM
Okay, so here is what I want to do.

I want to help a person with their computer and be able to control it completely, while talking on the phone to help them out.

I'm using Remote Assistance that came with Windows XP in order to help them out, but need some help with it.

1. I want to be able to control the computer, but the only thing I can do with it is view their screen. Is it possible to change this function?

2. As well with Remote Desktop Connection, I want to be able to control other items, such as if I hear sound, desktop image, printers, etc. Need help with that.

3. As with Remote Assistance, can you make a file that has your computer info on it, so it can be taken to another computer and remotely controlled with no human answer needed on the other end?

I again appreciate all help. :thumbsup:

{DSG}DarkRaven
06-18-2004, 12:18 AM
I belive you can through MS netmeeting. We did this once in my A+ class, but I forget how to exactly do it.

AtmaWeapon
06-18-2004, 12:41 AM
If you are using WinXP Home and not Pro, it's supposed to be impossible to initiate a connection. I was able to reach my home computer (WinXP Home) from my laptop (WinXP Pro), so I'm not sure how this holds up. You have to go through Start>Help and Support, then look for the part that says something about Remote Assistance. If you don't have that part, no go.

It would be much easier to use a VNC program (we use TightVNC (http://www.tightvnc.com/) at work for the few computers we can't use Terminal Services and Remote Desktop on.

linkofzelda1
06-18-2004, 12:42 AM
RealVNC.com (http://www.realvnc.com)

RealVNC is much better than the Remote Assistance crap that comes with XP. It's probably not exactly what you're looking for, but it's still better.

Edit: Atma beat me to it. Either one is good. I prefer the one I suggested, though.

goKi
06-18-2004, 04:40 AM
The remote desktop connection is totally configurable. You can change whether or not you can hear sounds, etc. I find it to work quite well, and if you knock down the resolution a bit, you can easily do it over a 56k modem connection. I have my Windows 2000 Advanced server box set up as a terminal server. Just as a project, but it uses next to no bandwidth, and unlike windows remote desktop, 2 people can control the computer at once, and it just uses more resources. Nothing at all wrong with the remote connections with Windows, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

ZeldaFan001
06-18-2004, 10:44 AM
I was never quite able to get Remote Desktop Connection to work. I do have Windows XP Home Edition on the computer I am working on, so I have two laptops to work with. One with Pro and one with Home Edition. Maybe if I connect to Home Edition, I can see different results.

I also need to know if you can make a file for Remote Desktop Connection, because I am just so unsure of what to type in some of the boxes. The computer never want to connect at all.

Edit: So who of you out there are willing to connect to my computer and help out the situation. Here is a file:

http://spesite.netfirms.com/ZeldaComp.msrcincident

This will allow anyone to connect to my computer using Remote Assistance. Please post in this thread first if you would like to help me. I will PM you the password so you can get in. Several restrictions though:

1. Tell me who you are logged in as at the Armageddon Games Forum so I know who you are. If I don't get a response after a minute, I will disconnect you.

2. The remote assistance invitation is open in this post for only 12 hours starting from time of post, so someone should help me out today.

3. Thanks again to anyone who helps.

EDIT2: Netfirms being stupid, so go to this link instead.

http://spesite.netfirms.com/ZeldaComp.gif

Save Target As...then rename the file as a .msrcincident file. It was the only way to remove the banners from the site.

Remember, you must have Windows XP to use.

Sorry for any inconvenience, hope this works now.

AtmaWeapon
06-18-2004, 11:26 AM
I think you can send a request from Home or Pro, but you can only answer a request from Pro.

ZeldaFan001
06-18-2004, 11:30 AM
Please see my previous post. Just remember to Right click-Save Target As... or you will see only garbled text.