PDA

View Full Version : Pac-Man tip: Braving the Ghosts

AtmaWeapon
06-14-2004, 07:29 PM
I notice a lot of people play Pac-Man and don't really seem to use much strategy, so I thought I'd give one of my tips for getting higher scores on Pac-Man.

See, most people just grab the power pills and then eat whatever ghosts are nearby. They are giving up lots of points. The ghosts are worth 200, 400, 800, and 1600 points. If you only eat two ghosts instead of all four (what most people do), you are losing 2400 points per power pill, and with 4 pills per board that's 9600 points! You could have your extra life on the first board easy if you eat every ghost all four times!

So don't gobble those pills up right away, try to lure the ghosts close to you and eat them all!

Gerudo
06-14-2004, 07:33 PM
i know this, i have the Pac-Man collection on my GBA, which of course gives me alot of practice. almost everytime i play, i get over 20,000 points.

i try to eat as many pellets as possible before touching the power pills. then, i just use them in rapid succession (giving the ghosts time to recharge, of course).

nice advice, though :)

AtmaWeapon
06-14-2004, 07:53 PM
Is Pac-Man collection any good? I keep wanting to buy it but I worry it will suck. What all is on it?

A Clockwork Man
06-15-2004, 10:08 AM
Pac-Man Collection 0wns two hats, a purple flamingo and Bert Newton''s hairpiece. It's that good.

I've also noticed that the ghosts very, very rarely follow you through the portals on the GBA edition.

Gerudo
06-15-2004, 01:14 PM
i would say that ACM's description is dead-on. it includes the oldstyle pacman, pacmania (cool version in that you ca jump), pac-attack (nice puzzle game, look it up), and a new version of the old with updated graphics and some music thats pretty neat.

AtmaWeapon
06-15-2004, 07:24 PM
Got it, along with Golden Sun: The Lost Age. One of my friends from high school I haven't seen in years was working the electronics department at Wal-Mart, and while talking to him a lady asked us which game would be the best of the Classic series, SMB, Donkey Kong, or Pac-Man. I pointed out that Pac-Man Collection was not only $10 cheaper than Classic Pac-Man, it included 3 other games. She got it too LOL.

fatcatfan
06-15-2004, 10:08 PM
While we're talking about Pac-man... has anyone else ever seen the Pac-man Jr. video game / pinball machine? When the ball entered certain tunnels or sockets in the pinball machine, a video screen would activate and you'd play a pac-man style maze, as best I remember. I remember it from when I was real young, 9 or 10, at Showbiz Pizza (now Chuck E. Cheese's) in Chattanoga. I just remember it because it was unique... a combination of pinball and arcade game.

Dracula
06-15-2004, 11:23 PM
While we're talking about Pac-man... has anyone else ever seen the Pac-man Jr. video game / pinball machine? When the ball entered certain tunnels or sockets in the pinball machine, a video screen would activate and you'd play a pac-man style maze, as best I remember. I remember it from when I was real young, 9 or 10, at Showbiz Pizza (now Chuck E. Cheese's) in Chattanoga. I just remember it because it was unique... a combination of pinball and arcade game.

I remember playing that when I was on vacation once... It was a huge room full of old/rare arcade and pinball games... That one was in the corner. Very underrated, in my opinion. There's some pics and info here to refresh some memories. (http://www.geocities.com/arcadeclassics.geo/BABYPACMAN.html)

AtmaWeapon
06-15-2004, 11:47 PM
That pinball game was pretty cool. I saw it in a Mr. Gatti's one time. I sucked at it, though.

Gerudo
06-16-2004, 01:09 AM
I pointed out that Pac-Man Collection was not only $10 cheaper than Classic Pac-Man, it included 3 other games. She got it too LOL. wow, Pac-Collection only 10 bucks? i got it for ~15 i think... i usually go to EBGames and look at the "pre-played but still in the original package" games that range between 5 - 20 bucks...

Linkafier
06-16-2004, 01:29 AM
Gerudo, I don't think he meant it was 10$. I think he meant it was 10$ less than the Classic Pac-man game.

Nice tip, AW.

AtmaWeapon
06-16-2004, 01:57 AM
Gerudo, I don't think he meant it was 10$. I think he meant it was 10$ less than the Classic Pac-man game.

Nice tip, AW.

I could mean both and still tell the truth. Pac Collection was $9.88. Classic NES Pac-Man was $19.90.

fatcatfan
06-16-2004, 02:21 AM
I remember playing that when I was on vacation once... It was a huge room full of old/rare arcade and pinball games... That one was in the corner. Very underrated, in my opinion. There's some pics and info here to refresh some memories. (http://www.geocities.com/arcadeclassics.geo/BABYPACMAN.html)

Cool, thanks.

http://www.geocities.com/arcadeclassics.geo/PACLAND.html

^ The author claims that SMB is a clone of Pac-Land. :odd:

Manny
06-16-2004, 10:56 PM
Wow what memories. pac-man was always a favourite of mine. My family used to vacation to this one spot in new hamphire when i was a kid and it was one of the largest arcades i've ever been in that the city has (i think its Laconia. Funspot arcade). Well one year we went and it had a huge poster to congradulate the winner (who was put in guniess book of records) because he set the world record for pac-man - perfect score. read about it later and how ridiculously difficulte it is to do so. thats some real talent.
i miss pac-man :(
-manny

p.s. think this is 100 for me. hoo-rah. nearly 3 years here (lost the crap to my old account) and i got this haha. never been a big poster.