PDA

View Full Version : ...and I approve this message.

michael9824
06-12-2004, 02:43 PM
There are a few commericals with the quote "Im <insert person here> and i approve this message!".

This started with George W. Bush. Kerry does it too. Some other politicians do it.

I saw a budwieser commercial with it in it.

I think it funny in the commericals.

Starkist
06-12-2004, 02:52 PM
http://www.nationalcenter.org/McCainFeingold.html

biggiy05
06-12-2004, 03:06 PM
http://www.nationalcenter.org/McCainFeingold.html

wtf is all of that starkist? I saw a bunch of names and was modified in aug and other crap. What is that some document saying they have to say that now?

Eckels
06-12-2004, 03:19 PM
wtf is all of that starkist? I saw a bunch of names and was modified in aug and other crap. What is that some document saying they have to say that now?

yes. try reading it.

SEC. 205. COORDINATION WITH CANDIDATES

(C) The term `provided in coordination with a candidate'

... (ix) communication by a person with the candidate or an agent of the candidate, occurring after the declaration of candidacy (including a pollster, media consultant, vendor, advisor, or staff member), acting on behalf of the candidate, about advertising message, allocation of resources, fundraising, or other campaign matters related to the candidate's campaign, including campaign operations, staffing, tactics, or strategy; or...

SEC. 308. CAMPAIGN ADVERTISING.

`(d)(1) Any broadcast or cablecast communication described in paragraphs (1) or (2) of subsection (a) shall include, in addition to the requirements of that paragraph, an audio statement by the candidate that identifies the candidate and states that the candidate has approved the communication. `
(2) If a broadcast or cablecast communication described in paragraph (1) is broadcast or cablecast by means of television, the communication shall include, in addition to the audio statement under paragraph (1), a written statement that-- `
(A) appears at the end of the communication in a clearly readable manner with a reasonable degree of color contrast between the background and the printed statement, for a period of at least 4 seconds; and `
(B) is accompanied by a clearly identifiable photographic or similar image of the candidate. `

(e) Any broadcast or cablecast communication described in paragraph (3) of subsection (a) shall include, in addition to the requirements of that paragraph, in a clearly spoken manner, the following statement: ` [Bold->] XXXXXXXX [<-Bold] is responsible for the content of this advertisement.' (with the blank to be filled in with the name of the political committee or other person paying for the communication and the name of any connected organization of the payor). If broadcast or cablecast by means of television, the statement shall also appear in a clearly readable manner with a reasonable degree of color contrast between the background and the printed statement, for a period of at least 4 seconds.'.

biggiy05
06-12-2004, 03:29 PM
I read 3 quarters of it and had to stop cuz my eyes are killing from the yellow on it. Why cant we just simplify that kind of stuff and say ok those of you that are running in the election you cant flame each other say your butt buddies with whoever. You cant say your opponent beats his children that is private info. Thats just what popped into my head but reading all of that its like whoa i would fall asleep if i had to listen to that. OH NO! GOVERNMENT IN THE FALL! :scared:

Eckels
06-12-2004, 03:31 PM
I read 3 quarters of it and had to stop cuz my eyes are killing from the yellow on it. Why cant we just simplify that kind of stuff and say ok those of you that are running in the election you cant flame each other say your butt buddies with whoever. You cant say your opponent beats his children that is private info. Thats just what popped into my head but reading all of that its like whoa i would fall asleep if i had to listen to that. OH NO! GOVERNMENT IN THE FALL! :scared:

If laws were written the way you'd like them to be written, we would likely be a nation of retarded dirt eaters, who're all sore about their lost job at the mud mill.

Don't post anymore. Thanks.

biggiy05
06-12-2004, 03:40 PM
Thats just what came to mind dont write the laws that way but why make them so complitcated make them so more ppl can understand them easier. Ill keep posting thanks

JayeM
06-12-2004, 03:40 PM
If laws were written the way you'd like them to be written, we would likely be a nation of retarded dirt eaters, who're all sore about their lost job at the mud mill. But at least maybe we'd understand what our government was doing to us (hopefully before they did it). Who writes this shit?

michael9824
06-12-2004, 03:50 PM
But at least maybe we'd understand what our government was doing to us (hopefully before they did it). Who writes this shit?
Attorneys write it.

<Microsots EULA is long as hell is it is loading with "AS IS" , "NOT" and "OR".
When installing xp i just said: agree
I think it should be thats good now install my f%#king software!!>

Eckels
06-12-2004, 03:53 PM
Attourneys write it because when it comes to law, other attourneys get to read it and disassemble it. you start using ambiguous terms, and it'll get torn apart. there's a reason it's written so strictly.

I've seen books that have laws written in layman's terms... But even these books say "This is just an interpretation, we cannot be held responsible, blah blah blah..."

biggiy05
06-12-2004, 04:02 PM
So do they spend all the time in college learning how to read and understand all that then how to write it and disassemble it?

michael9824
06-12-2004, 04:05 PM
I guess it can be compared to a dissassembly program. The program is dissasembled to look for holes in the code

Ich
06-12-2004, 10:52 PM
Any broadcast or cablecast communication described in paragraphs (1) or (2) of subsection (a) shall include, in addition to the requirements of that paragraph, an audio statement by the candidate that identifies the candidate and states that the candidate has approved the communication.

That's the important part.

EDIT: <i> to [i]. Gah, too much slashdot.

gdorf
06-12-2004, 11:21 PM
Its a good law. I can imagine a group of extreme individuals trying to sabotage a polition's campaign through his own ad if it weren't in place. "Hi, I'm John Kerry and I think killing children is a good thing. blah. blah. Vote for me, and allow me to destroy your family".

As far as the way laws are written: I think it suits it purpose nicely. Just because you don't understand them doesn't make it out of grasp for everyone. Those that truly care to change the way our country works should at least be capable of "deciphering" its laws. Plus, if you allow some informality into the laws, where do you draw the line? Sooner or later our laws would state "ppl need 2 pay taxes". Currently, our laws stay organized, get the point across, and leave little slop room for controversy. Sounds good to me. :thumbsup:

michael9824
06-13-2004, 01:14 PM
But...

These late night shows(Late Show, Conan, Tohight Show, etc) now implement the saying when they mock the canidates.