PDA

View Full Version : Back From Rainbow Camp!!!

Monica
06-12-2004, 11:22 AM
I'm back!!! :) I had so much fun!! Here's what happened...

The theme was Olympics
Each Cabin was a different country
I was in Cabin 4 - France
My counselor's name was Katie
My dates were Chad and J. B.

Saturday: The bus picked us up in the city an hour away from my town. Halfway there I realise I forgot to pack my turquoise green dress, so my mom and I go in Stinemart and find a nice light pink one (thank goodness!) The bus ride took 2 hours. I brought my new CD player with The Beach Boys: Sounds of Summer (yes, I like the Beach boys :P) My burned .hack CD and my burned Buffy the Vampire Slayer CD. That night was the lighting of the Rainbow Olympic torch and we all gathered around the pond in Togas! We each brought a sheet and wrapped it around our clothes. They lit a huge torch (that later got rained out :()

Sunday: After breakfast, we had church in the gym. First, two guys played Christian music, then an evangalist who is in a wheelchair and used to be a camper preached, and told us about Jesus and how to be saved and reminded us that God made us handicapped but we still each have a purpose and He has a plan for every one of us, no matter how we look or act, or can or can't do normal things, everyone on Earth has a purpose and a God-given talent, we just have to trust in Him to help us find it. It was really a beautiful sermon. :)

That afternoon at the pool I asked Chad to the dance. He has an awesome thick Texan accent and he's really really sweet. He was my date last year.

That evening was Rainbow Idol. Three Jr Staffers played as Paula, Simon and Randy while Jr staff and some campers dressed up to be singers like Shania Twain, Tina Turner, Britney Spears, etc, and lip synched to the songs. Cabin 4's Jr Staffer, Adrien, was Cindy Lauper and our cabin was her backup doing "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" and we dressed 80's style. I had a ty-dyed shirt and side ponytail. "Simon" said Simon-style funny things to the Jr Staff but gave the campers nice comments. :) That night Deerman visited the cabins, and scared the mess out of the counselors he woke up. It's a Deer head the Jr Staff tales around with a video camera. We watched it the next morning and it was hillarious!

Monday: In the morning we had soccer in the gym, and then arts and crafts. During free time I played basketball at the court. Chad and I love to play each other and I needed practice. :) At lunch, this bronze and silver olympic hi-jump winner cane and spoke and passed around his medals. They felt cool! :) After swimming was the Quiz Bowl. I got a few answers right but Cabin 3 won. Right as we were leaving the cafeteria, Molly, a counselor and really good friend asks me if I have a date yet, I say yes, I asked Chad, and she says J. B. really wants a date, do you mind another date? I thought about it and said sure, J. B. is pretty cool.

Tuesday: Tuesday was Visitor's Day and we had horseback riding and archery. I rode a horse with J. B. and spent the rest of the morning playing basketball with Chad. I think I did pretty well but he beat me at most of the games of horse. For lunch the local fire department cooked crawfish. Now I'm Louisianian, but I am NOT a Cajun. I don't like Crawfish. I opted for chilli digs. :) That afternoon, it took four guys to throw Gaston, another counselpr I hang out with, into the pond!!

That evening was the carnival, but it got rained on so everything had to be inside the gym. There was pizza and Sno cones and popcorn and a few play castles for the little kids, and games like Boomarang Toss, Jamacan Bobsled (a Plinko-type game) and other stuff. I won a pretty white stuffed tiger, a Whale Beanie Baby, and other stuff, but my favorite prize besides the white tiger is a 5-foot-long, 3D, Monster Truck Kite I won at Plinko. :)

Wednesday: Messy games was that morning. We got all the counselors with whipped cream, ketchup, mustard and syrup and relish and extremely cold ice water. After that, all the counselors jumped in the pond. That afternoon, I played Air Hockey in the gameroom, with my best camper friend Dana. I beat her 10 to 9! Then Katie played me and she beat me 10 to 1 O_o

That night was Karaoke. I sang "Don't Take the Girl" by Tim McGraw and everyone seemed to like it. :) Okay, Katie, Molly, J. B. Jen and Chad are all Texans at a Louisiana camp, so they are at friendly (and hillarious) war with Gaston and some of the other LA counselors about which state is better. So they all sang "God Blessed Texas" and it was awesome. Gaston sat with me and he's hillarious, he cracks me up so much! He's kinda cajun and he and Katie tease each other constantly, so he jokes and says he only hangs out with her because of me, lol. Oh and Cabin 3 stole Cabin 9's flag so 9 had to dress up like girls and sing at Karaoke!

Thursday: Our last full day. In the morning we had Friendship Circle by the flagpole, where people got up to the mic and said nice things and said goodbye. I didn't go up this year. Then we got our folders with pictues and went around getting signatures from our friends. After lunch was free time and Katie and I hung out with Jen and Jeff. Jeff is a counselor from my bus. After that there was swimming and then we went back and showered and got ready for date night. Chad showed up at the cabin with a beautiful bouquet of real rosebuds with glitter on them from town. That was sooooooooooooooooooo sweet of him! ^_^ J. B. showed up right after I got a pic of Chad and me with the roses. We rode a real white limosine around camp and to the cafeteria. It was so cool in there!

The cafeteria was decorated all nice and fancy. Chad and I sat with Katie and her dates B. J. who was J. B.'s camper and Derek. J. B. got another date who wanted to sit with him on the other side. (there were people with up to 12 dates! O_O) For dinner we had salad with croutons, awesome barbeque brisket and baked beans and for dessert, peach cobbler with ice cream. Counselors without dates had to serve. Before we went to the dance, they had the awards. Chad won both Best Counselor in cabin 10 and Most Outstanding Male Counselor! His camper was an adorable little 6 year old autistic boy named J. J. and Chad really did do everything he possibly could for him, and he deserved those awards.

At the dance, it was great. I two-stepped with Chad to country songs and slow-danced to slow songs and he sang them which was awesome. ^_^ I danced with J. B. to fast songs, and also a lot of guys wanted to dance with me so I danced with them too. :) The last song is always "The Dance" by Garth Brooks. I danced to that one with J. B. His date was a little girl who left early to go to sleep so both of them walked me back to Cabin 4. :)

Friday: The busses left. After getting a loooooong hug from Chad I got on the bus (and took the roses with me on the bus cause I couldn't pach them of course) and I was exhausted. I kinda slept as I listened to my CD player. When we got back to the parking lot I went with my mom and sister to the mall and she got me a huge slice of Pizza, then to the candy store to get us both bags of candy to sneak into the theatre because they overprice their stuff. We saw Harry Potter #3, then we went to visit my grandparents in their new house, and finally we went home where we put the flowers in water and now they're opening up.

We were reminded that a lot of male counselors from last year were called away to fight terror and couldn't make it this year. We know they're fighting to protect our freedom to have Rainbow camp where we know God is present. That's only one freedom they are fighting for, but to us it means the world. The terrorists would actually destroy the hope and love we feel at camp if they felt like it. That's why the war is so important. We flew the flag at half-staff in Ronald Raegan's honor.

And that is my week at camp. :)

fatcatfan
06-12-2004, 05:00 PM
I wondered where you were. Welcome back!

J.J. Maxx
06-12-2004, 05:38 PM
[color=mediumpurple]I was in Cabin 4 - France...

Tuesday: Tuesday was Visitor's Day and we had horseback riding and archery.

Not sure if this is true or not, but I heard her entire cabin saw the other cabins with bows and arrows and they all ran back to their bunks...

Just something I heard..

sagelink
06-12-2004, 05:55 PM
Big diss on the French, eh, JJ?

J.J. Maxx
06-12-2004, 06:11 PM
Big diss on the French, eh, JJ?

No, my uncle owns the camp she went to. I live right down the road. I heard it from him.

Jigglysaint
06-12-2004, 08:50 PM
Small world, eh?

How much did the camp cost? I remember I got to go to summer camp for 6 weeks straight(that is, 1 and a half months away from my family), twice in a row, and it only cost $200 each time. Mind you we didn't have horseback riding and everybody there had social and learning disabilities(not severe, like no wheelchairs or people who talked funny or had serious mobility problems).

This is a dumb question, but it wasn't an LD camp, was it?

J.J. Maxx
06-12-2004, 09:31 PM
Small world, eh?

Yep, in fact, I lost my virginity in cabin C6.

Jigglysaint
06-12-2004, 09:48 PM
Which leads me back to my dumb question. So I take it it's just a christian camp, not one that had anything to do with learning disabilities? I was wondering because of the preacher on wheels.

Riku
06-12-2004, 10:15 PM
Welcome back. Sounds like you had plenty of fun!

pathfinder420
06-12-2004, 10:18 PM
what rainbow camp?

Monica
06-12-2004, 11:22 PM
LOL @ JJ! Good one! :) I didn't do archery, because it's too hard for me to see the red dot in the crossbow, but we weren't too thrilled being France. :) Actually it's a Muscular Dystrophy for people with muscle deseases. Little JJ just happened to have both MD and autism, like I have both MD and glaucoma. It is hosted at a Christian camp and based heavily on Christianity.