PDA

View Full Version : I need help choosing colors [art moblins]

AtmaWeapon
06-09-2004, 10:11 PM
I have this great idea for a skin for my blog. I want to use a color scheme that resembles very closely the NES. Now, I could take the easy way out and use grey, dark grey, black, and red like many schemes I've seen but everyone who had an NES knows that the control deck is not really grey, and it's not white, it's some kind of weird color.

Now I know there are a lot of you that are rather good at art-type stuff AND web design, so I need an opinion. Should I just suck it up and use some kind of light grey, or should I use the actual authentic color? If the authentic color, can you give me the 3 magic numbers that will generate this wonder color? I thought about scanning my NES but my scanner is in TN right now so that makes it difficult.

Archibaldo
06-09-2004, 10:17 PM
I'm not sure what "TN" means but I think you should use the authentic colors. Nothing beats authenticity.

gdorf
06-10-2004, 03:16 AM
Does this help?
http://images.google.com/images?q=nes%20controller&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

edit: here, a controller I mocked up with the four basic colors. You may want to tweak them a little for the web, but its a good start.

http://home.comcast.net/~ravix475/controller.jpg

Ich
06-10-2004, 02:25 PM
TN = Tennessee. : þ

I was thinking maybe take a photograph of an NES or scan one, and then use the dropper in Paint or a similar program.

I got around 156 162 172.

AtmaWeapon
06-10-2004, 05:42 PM
http://www.atmaweapon.org/skin.html

Here's a rough mockup of what I have so far, I've got a lot left. Don't blame me for the crappy HTML source, this is what Xanga spits out. Could someone kindly tell me how the devil to get all that nasty blank space in the side column to go away? It's really aggravating. I know it has something to do with the upper cell is going to occupy as much space as it can, but how do I get the bottom cell to be the greedy one?

Naked Jim
06-10-2004, 05:50 PM
I like the colors you picked for it, it looks good. Im not sure how to get the blank space to go away.

Rainman
06-10-2004, 05:52 PM
I dunno that can be tricky. Try increasing the size of the lower cell assuming the upper cell doesn't have a specified height. It worked for me before. :shrug: Also, I'd definitely change the font.

Eckels
06-10-2004, 06:13 PM
This is what you do.

find this line that starts the left side box.

<td style="text-align: left; vertical-align: top; border: 4px solid white">
immediately before it, put in these two lines:

<td valign="top">
<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0"><tr>

then, where you have the line "I dont want all this bullcrap, etc..."
replace it with

</td></tr></table>

That will fix your problem.

From a design standpoint, I also recommend putting some sort of padding on your text boxes so the text doesn't run into the sides. It just looks cleaner. Also, the font doesn't match the style. use something blockier.

Ich
06-10-2004, 06:34 PM
It looks nice for coloration, but I agree with Eck. Maybe Courier New, which is the font used in the [code] tags.

AtmaWeapon
06-10-2004, 07:08 PM
Works great, Eck. I was secretly hoping you'd post in this thread. Your design suggestions are good, too, I was just kind of hacking it out to make sure I could at least make the skin work before I put a lot of eye candy into it. I want to round a lot of the edges of things and whatnot.

gdorf
06-10-2004, 08:43 PM
btw: Nice choice in colors. ;)