PDA

View Full Version : I am AGINST Linux and any other open source

michael9824
06-08-2004, 01:35 PM
I tried to install freebsd and it was like i had to write the damn os my slef. I tried to install it but it erased my who hard drive!! I am mad at those linux bastards and I WILL NEVER USE LINUX AGAIN!!!! I am going back to windows where it doest delete a hard drive without asking! I am sorry but thats how the man make billion cause he make software people can use. Linux version of BSOD is the BSOH(Boot screen of hell). It is a hard time to start linux. i got it installed (over xp which i didnt want!!!!!!1111) I wanted xp and free bsd to co exsist.

Oh and by the way windows xp is my favorite os until longhorn(windows) is released.

{DSG}DarkRaven
06-08-2004, 01:45 PM
Why must you complain about this here? I'm wondering, do you have any idea what you were doing, or did you just get the CD from a friend who told you that "oepn sorce 0S is teh leetz0res!!11!"? I don't want to go insulting you, but installing a new OS is certainly not for people who don't really know what they're doing, especially one that's open source and not particuarly concerned with user friendliness. Why spend time making it super easy so grandmothers can install it, when you don't earn a dime?

I'm almost certain I know where you went wrong, and if you tried to install windows onto a working linux drive, the exact same thing would happen. But as I suggested before, you don't know what you're doing, right? You probably just heard that it was better than windows and decided to give it a shot, because hey, if it's better than windows, shouldn't it be easier to install? Wrong!

If you want some help, ask for it. I'd love to help you get this thing going. But first, there's a few things you should do.

1. Learn to spell.
2. Learn to use grammar.
3. Know what you're talking about BEFORE you come complaining that your fancy new OS didn't work for you the FIRST time you tried installing it OVER your old OS.

I apologize in advance for any rules I probably broke back there.

linkofzelda1
06-08-2004, 03:49 PM
Nicely said, DSG. Very nicely said.

Just stick with Windows, bucko. There's a little thing that we like to call a Partition. Now, usually, when one installs a new OS over an existing one, the old one is deleted.

There you go! I just solved your problem for you!

fatcatfan
06-08-2004, 04:04 PM
I am going back to windows where it doest delete a hard drive without asking!I'm quite certain that you just hit 'Y' or 'ENTER' without reading the onscreen prompts in full.
2.2.2 Backup Your Data
If the computer you will be installing FreeBSD on contains valuable data, then ensure you have it backed up, and that you have tested the backups before installing FreeBSD. The FreeBSD installation routine will prompt you before writing any data to your disk, but once that process has started it cannot be undone.Now, I'm sorry you had such trouble. With the right tools, if you haven't already further messed things up, it *might* be possible to restore most of the previous XP install, depending on how far you went with FreeBSD. However, you are blaming the wrong entity for your problem.

Rainman
06-08-2004, 04:12 PM
Whoa, whoa. On the whole I agree with you. I'm not a big fan of linux either. However, your irate, nonsensical ranting isn't gonna get anyone anywhere.

AlexMax
06-08-2004, 04:58 PM
I tried to install freebsd and it was like i had to write the damn os my slef. I tried to install it but it erased my who hard drive!! I am mad at those linux bastards and I WILL NEVER USE LINUX AGAIN!!!! I am going back to windows where it doest delete a hard drive without asking! I am sorry but thats how the man make billion cause he make software people can use. Linux version of BSOD is the BSOH(Boot screen of hell). It is a hard time to start linux. i got it installed (over xp which i didnt want!!!!!!1111) I wanted xp and free bsd to co exsist.

Oh and by the way windows xp is my favorite os until longhorn(windows) is released.

Oh boy, where do I begin...

First of all....

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/8172/linuxnotequalfreebsd.gif
Linux and FreeBSD are two different things entirely. (FreeBSD can run Linux programs, but the opposite is not true)

Secondly, the reason you lost your hard drive is because you probably didn't split your disk into multiple partitions. PartitionMagic is your friend.

And having just installed Fedora Linux Core 2 on my main computer the other day, it gives you PLENTY of warnings before doing somethings stupid, like reformatting or repartitioning your drives.

But in all seriousness, Linux can be a major pain in the ass sometimes. It requires work and a lot of reading to get working. However, it's ten times easier to install and run than it was a few years ago, and even detected more hardware on my computer than Windows XP did when it installed. (Clarification: Linux is great at auto-detecting your hardware, but if it doesn't it's a pain in the ass to actually get it working 100%)

Once you're on it, and got it working, most things are relatively simple. Not as simple as Windows XP, but still simple. I got Unreal Tournament 2k4 installed with a minimum of fuss, RPM's are ten times better than zips (and yum makes them easy to install), and all the custimization that you can do with window managers like KDE and GNOME that is BUILT IN (and doesn't need bullshit like WindowBlinds to work) is simply amazing. Of course, I still use Windows XP (It's relatively stable, especially compared to 9x), and I really like it, and it runs a number of programs I depend on (Doom Builder) but Linux is still quite a capable operating system. It's not the "Install Linux, problem solved LOLERSKATES" thing that Linux zealots whom in my opinion are just as bad as Windows zealots) make it out to be, but using it is a hell of a lot of fun for a computer nut like me.

And barking and braying and going "IM NEVER GOING TO USE LINUX AGAIN BLAH BLAH BLAH WINDOWS XP IS THE GREATEST LONGHORN IS GOING TO ROCK"...etc. etc. etc. etc. :rolleyes:

{DSG}DarkRaven
06-08-2004, 05:25 PM
Ah, good to see I haven't gotten myself into trouble.

And speaking of Longhorn, I'm curious as to what exactly he knows about it, since nobody hardly knows anything outside of MS.

AtmaWeapon
06-08-2004, 05:27 PM
FreeBSD is a manly man's Linux variant, although it's not really Linux. Gentoo and Debian are kind of the same way, it's ePenis *= 100 to run those distros. Fellow moblin AlexMax pretty much summed up what I was going to post. Here's how I see the situation:

1. Linux is awesome for free (as in beer and also as in speech) software.
2. Linux can configure itself to an extent. When it can't, you must manually configure things.
3. To manually configure Linux, you must dig through documentation, and sometimes the "documentation" is comments within the file you must hand-edit.
4. You can't be bothered to read documentation.

Based on these premises, I conclude that sticking with Windows is probably your best bet, but please know that Linux didn't screw up your system, you did. You have to know what you're doing to avoid losing partitions when attempting to dual-boot, the first 3 times I tried I killed my whole drive.

I don't like Linux, but it is my fault. If I were willing to spend the time learning about Linux that I have spent learning how to properly run a Windows box, I really think I'd like it better. Almost every problem I have had has a solution. Almost every program I just flew through the configuration and didn't work had a 40+ page manual I should have read first. Heck, even though I say Gentoo, Debian, and FreeBSD are tough to get running, they happen to have the most detailed install guides of any distribution I tried. So it has its good points. I'd love to play with it more, I just don't have the time/don't have a computer I can dedicate to it.

If you're going to hate Linux, at least find a flaw with Linux itself. Don't blame your own misuse of the computer on Linux.

And speaking of Longhorn, I'm curious as to what exactly he knows about it, since nobody hardly knows anything outside of MS.Actually MS has released a LOT of information about Longhorn so far, you just don't see it on MSN's annoying news page because it's all gory tech details you don't want to be bothered with. Here's what I know: WinFS, the new file system, will provide more metadata for files so you can search faster Search will be improved even more because WinFS has MS SQL Server behind it. Performance will suffer greatly because of the SQL server, so far an unconfirmed minumum requirement is a dual-core 6Ghz processor, 2GB RAM, and a TB of HD space. There is a new windowing system, I think it's called Avalon. Basically it's going to render the knowledge of Win32 API I have almost useless and require me to learn the new one :( I'm pretty certain the SDKs are out, and if you have an MSDN subscription of the right level you can download Longhorn betas right now. Heck, at DevDays or WinHEC or whatever they passed out Longhorn beta CDs, IIRC.

AlexMax
06-08-2004, 05:47 PM
...Linux didn't screw up your system, you did.

Size=9 quote for emphesis. Quite honestly, I think fatcatfan nailed it on the head as well...

I'm quite certain that you just hit 'Y' or 'ENTER' without reading the onscreen prompts in full.

Gentoo, Debian, and FreeBSD are tough to get running, they happen to have the most detailed install guides of any distribution I tried.

Gentoo = The ricer version of Linux. Jesus chrsit, just browse their forums once in a while, it's horrid.
Debian = Hard as hell to set up, beautiful once it's up and running.
FreeBSD = Havn't tried it personally.

Sounds like you need to try out Fedora/Mandrake, my good man. Those are by far less of a hassle to install than the distros you've listed.

AtmaWeapon
06-08-2004, 06:20 PM
I think you just like Fedora because it is a hat, Alex.

vegeta1215
06-09-2004, 12:47 AM
You had trouble with FreeBSD and now you hate Linux - makes perfect sense. :sigh:

For those that don't know, check it out: - BSD For Linux Users (http://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/bsd4linux1.php)

{DSG}DarkRaven
06-09-2004, 01:25 PM
Performance will suffer greatly because of the SQL server, so far an unconfirmed minumum requirement is a dual-core 6Ghz processor, 2GB RAM, and a TB of HD space

You've got to be kidding me? The Ram I could understand possibly, but a dual core 6ghz processor? Isn't this supposed to be MS's next OS after XP? Man, now I feel dumb for not paying better attention.

Ich
06-09-2004, 04:18 PM
Not as dumb as you'll feel when you pay for it ;). I am going to make a full switch to Linux before Longhorn, that's my vow. I never want to use something like that; it's supposed to be as standards non-compliant as possible, to "force" people to stay on Windows, or at least make the switch more difficult. I don't want anything to do with that; I will continue running Win2k until I get around to Linux.

michael9824
06-09-2004, 05:00 PM
I dont think ms sql will take 6 ghz proceessors to run. They will probably have a smaller version that would use almost nothing. hmmm wonder what mysql would do to make an alternative... but I think it would be hard to implement mysql in windows as a part of the os where it uses stuff like index searching already. Im pretty sure you can disable it.. Im sure there would be 2 versions like xp. One with just the os and the other with the server stuff like ftp, iis and telnet. I can run the server off windows xp home edition just as eaisely as professional... ya know how?? I just get apache and it put itself as a windows service. I know apache is based somehow on linux because there is one directory with .so files wich i know are like .dll files. I saw somewhere that Windows NT has unix based code in the TCP/IP. I know you cant sell stuff with GPL or GNL or whatever in it but so did Red Hat. Red hat by the way is almost as expensive as XP Pro. I dont see how they can do that. Make software 199 fucking dollars. That is too expensive... but.... but it is WORTH IT to have an os that WORKS!!! Ill relaase my linux distro: A copy of windows me(the bugged up version) with any viruses in it. Then ill make it so that every boot up youll have to enter the magic code.

AtmaWeapon
06-09-2004, 06:11 PM
WinFS will be delayed but it was microsoft's baby at one point and you will probably soon be unable to install Windows on any other file system. Also, the 6Ghz figure came from MS, not me. The SQL functionality is an integral part of WinFS, I'm not really sure whether I really need that or not but I understand how among a TB of files it gets difficult to find just what you want. If you can disable it, MS has said nothing of the sort so far. Also, they are predicting a release date of 2003 oh wait 2004 no, we lied 2005, nah, maybe 2006 with this list of features to be implemented in Service Packs. So I figure by the time it comes out we'll all have 6Ghz anyway.

Also, Apache in Windows is unreliable and horrible. Run it in Linux.

Also past your first two or three sentences I really don't understand your point.