PDA

View Full Version : WinXP's "Quickfinder" replacement for Windows Explorer:

ShadowTiger
06-08-2004, 11:11 AM
I have a question. My friend has been bugging me to ask you guys, since I brag about AGN to him all the time. :rolleyes: He in inquiring about a Windows XP problem of his, that when I showed him Windows Explorer, (And the Win+E shortcut to it.) instead of the Windows Explorer which we all love and use every day, it opened up a "Quickfinder," in which if you attempt to use any file, (I.e. OPEN it.) Quickfinder closes. It's extremely aggravating, as he has a rather intricate C:\ system. :shrug:

Has anyone ever heard of this "Quickfinder?" It's driving poor Kevin insane. :-/ Any help?

.. BTW, he's on WinXP Professional, if that helps.

AtmaWeapon
06-08-2004, 01:09 PM
All information I'm finding on google groups indicates that Quickfinder is part of WordPerfect, and I guess can be configured through there. A broken English posting said something about a Control Panel applet to configure it, as well.

{DSG}DarkRaven
06-08-2004, 01:52 PM
Ah, quickfinder. I have the word perfect 10 suite on my laptop, and I used to have the WP7 suite on my old circa '98 computer. It did this on both machines. Inside the control panel, there should be some quick finder properties where you can disable the service. Takes care of any problems.

ShadowTiger
06-08-2004, 02:02 PM
Thanks! .. So I go to Control Panel >>> ... ? I'll check. Thanks again. :)

Word Perfect 7. *Scribble*Scribble*

{DSG}DarkRaven
06-08-2004, 06:56 PM
Well, there should be a quickfinder control panel, as far as I remember. It's pretty obvious. You'll know it when you see it. Not like you have to search under the keyboard prefs in order to find it.

AtmaWeapon
06-08-2004, 07:09 PM
I can't help anymore, this is a WordPerfect issue and I've never used it. The cryptic google groups search did seem to indicate there would be a Quickfinder thing in the control panel, though.

ShadowTiger
06-08-2004, 07:14 PM
Thing is, there isn't any. Sorry; thanks for your help guys. :shrug: I appreciate it.

AtmaWeapon
06-08-2004, 07:19 PM
Then why not dig around in WordPerfect and see if there's configuration stuff there? Better yet, uninstall WordPerfect and tell your friend to purchase a program he knows how to use, or at least one that won't install fun "helper" utilities (http://www.openoffice.org).

ShadowTiger
06-08-2004, 07:22 PM
Well, probably because he doesn't have Word Perfect. He just has the standard Microsoft bundle, including Word. :shrug:

{DSG}DarkRaven
06-08-2004, 08:14 PM
He doesn't have WP? I don't know what to tell you then...

AtmaWeapon
06-08-2004, 08:54 PM
I don't know, try running ad-aware and spybot, but everything I saw seemed to say that Quickfinder is a common WordPerfect annoyance.

{DSG}DarkRaven
06-08-2004, 09:23 PM
It IS a common WP annoyance, and it's not spyware or anything like that. Nothing that should be detected anyway. Have you tried searching for it on your system? What have you installed recently?