PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP... dead

Rafnul
06-07-2004, 11:58 PM
It appears that the power to this machine was cut at just the wrong time as XP was shutting down. Now, as XP is booting up, it stops and displays it's own blue screen of death for 1 second and restarts the computer. In case anything like this ever happened, I created an image of my drive that I could fall back on. Go figure, the same thing that is causing XP problems is apparently causing Powerquest Drive Image the same problems. Now my only saving grace is this linux drive I created a while back.

So I'm faced with a dilema here. Do I take the blow and just learn to use linux for everything, or I do I fight forever trying to get my XP drive working again?

gdorf
06-08-2004, 12:05 AM
You backup your info and reinstall. It isn't that horrible to reinstall windows. When I got my new motherboard and processor, I put together the parts, and reinstalled windows in an hour and a half. Within a day I had everything exactly how I wanted it.

Riku
06-08-2004, 12:26 AM
You backup your info and reinstall.

I did that to a friends computer a couple of days ago. Its not that bad. Really.

AtmaWeapon
06-08-2004, 12:39 AM
Actually if DriveImage isn't booting I'd want to point towards hardware problems, and Linux ain't going to fix that. You are booting from a floppy or CD trying to start DriveImage, right? That's important because it means an alternate OS isn't booting on your machine.

Starkist
06-08-2004, 12:40 AM
Make sure all your hardware still works.

Press F8 before Windows starts loading and choose to load the Last Good Configuration.

vegeta1215
06-08-2004, 01:10 AM
Like Atma, it sounds like a hardware problem.

Between Linux and Windows XP, use whatever works best for you. After the frustration you're having with your computer, it may not be the best time to jump to Linux, esp if you haven't used it before (it's a lot to learn and takes time to get used to)

linkofzelda1
06-08-2004, 01:29 AM
Exact thing happened to my mom's computer a couple days ago. The hard drive was fried, though. Might want to get it checked out.

Rafnul
06-09-2004, 01:20 PM
It was having memory issues. I couldn't exactly backup my info, because I didn't have access to it. Anyway, I reformated the HD (using fdisk from linux) and reinstalled XP from scratch. Any important data I have is already backed up online so I don't really have to worry about it.

I still can't figure out why DriveImage won't work. It says something about "Disk Manager is detected on Drive #1, but it is not running. Please reboot your computer." I even re-created a new set of bootable floppies that still won't load driveimage...

Oh well, starting from scratch is actually kind of fun.

Rijuhn
06-09-2004, 05:17 PM
That exact same thing happened to me when installed the software for my D-Link Wireless broadband modem. When I installed the software it poped up a message saying that it wasn't MS certified and may make my system unstable. So I go to check the instructions for my D-Link modem and it says that if that message appear that I just click "continue anyway", so I did. That was the last time I could use my computer properly.

Everytime I restarted my computer to use the screen would freeze. Only 1 out of every 10 times would it load all of the programs without freezing. It would sometimes load without freezing, the 10 seconds after my desktop seemed like it was finished loading my computer would then freeze.

Well, I did somethings to my computer to try and fix it, then it had problems before the OS would even load. A blue screen full of white text error messages appeared and then it restarts not even a half a second later. That really pissed me off.

I eventually had to reinstall EVERYTHING! I can't tell you how much I lost (stupid D-Link b******s!!!) and will never be able to recover. I ended up having to reinstall Windows ME again, and it worked fine. Windows ME sucked too much so I tried upgrading to Windows XP. I did that about 5 times over the course of 2 months. I finally realized that I could install Windows XP by doing a clean boot, and deleting my HD before I installed it.

This takes us to the present. My computer works, but my system still freezes randomly, and I still have to restart my computer about 5 times before the OS will load properly, but it's better than it was.