PDA

View Full Version : Ronald Reagan Dies at 93

moocow
06-07-2004, 12:55 PM
"My family and I would like the world to know that President Ronald Reagan has passed away after 10 years of Alzheimer's disease at 93 years of age. We appreciate everyone's prayers," Nancy Reagan said in a statement.

Article (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/O/OBIT_REAGAN?SITE=NNCO&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT)

I think that Reagan was probably one of the best presidents we've ever had. I don't really have a whole lot to say on the subject, but it is a great loss. Please don't turn this into a debate about whether he was a good President or not.

{DSG}DarkRaven
06-07-2004, 01:17 PM
You are soooo two days ago, Moo. :laughing:

I'm surprised nobody posted about this yet. Maybe they were afraid it would turn into a debate about whether or not he was a good president? I can set the record straight on that. Ronald Reagan was a good president because...

Ha! I'm only kidding. So now that nobody will take my post seriously, I'll conclude by saying that it's a tragic loss, but he had a good long life, and he left the world happy and content. What more can any of us ask for?

moocow
06-07-2004, 01:31 PM
You are soooo two days ago, Moo. :laughing:

I know, but I wasn't home when I found out about it, and I was so out of it yesterday... so I made a post today since no one else did.

{DSG}DarkRaven
06-07-2004, 02:25 PM
Oh, sure, use that as an excuse. Pfft. :D

What kept you "out of it" yesterday? Shall I wager ten bucks on pregnancy?

Rainman
06-07-2004, 02:28 PM
I personally don't consider this to be such an event. Mainly because he's been incapacitated for a number of years. He's already been gone. Still, the finality of death is a bit more depressing.

{DSG}DarkRaven
06-07-2004, 02:38 PM
Well, Muhammad Ali is suffering from a degenerative mental disease, and he's pretty far gone too. But would you be upset if he died? Not really upset, but you know, the kind of general "bummer" sort of upset. I agree with your point though, he has been gone for a while. It's this last step that seals the deal.

Rainman
06-07-2004, 03:02 PM
I have a much closer to heart example to draw from. My grandmother died a few months ago from complications relating to Alzheimer. When she died, our family was no doubt devestated. She left behind ten children and a host of grandchildren. We were still greatly saddened by it, but the family had been dealing with the my grandmother's slow decline for some time so were perhaps more prepared for it. I was saddened as well. I knew she was a very kind and gentle woman although I never knew her before the disease. Mostly I was saddened by how my father was taking it. It's never enjoyable to see your family in grief.

*b*
06-07-2004, 03:21 PM
I heard about this on the news (pretty much every channel you turn to has it). tis a sad loss indeed... but at least he had a good long life. 93, damn, that's pretty good for somone born in the early 1900's

Starkist
06-07-2004, 03:22 PM
I wonder if we shall ever see a president like him again.

http://inklingstar.web1000.com/reagan.jpg

Rainman
06-07-2004, 03:23 PM
He was born in 1911 I believe. Hmm... I think my grandfather (now dead) was born around that time.

moocow
06-07-2004, 04:24 PM
I have a much closer to heart example to draw from. My grandmother died a few months ago from complications relating to Alzheimer. When she died, our family was no doubt devestated. She left behind ten children and a host of grandchildren. We were still greatly saddened by it, but the family had been dealing with the my grandmother's slow decline for some time so were perhaps more prepared for it. I was saddened as well. I knew she was a very kind and gentle woman although I never knew her before the disease. Mostly I was saddened by how my father was taking it. It's never enjoyable to see your family in grief.

I know what you mean. My great grandmother died 2 years ago, she had Alzheimer for quite some time. Like you said, it's like they aren't even there. To me, she was aready gone, so I didn't feel a great deal of greif, though I felt I should have. As sad as I was to see her go at such a young age (96 ;)), it didn't effect me much, because she didn't even know who I was the last time I'd seen her before that.

It is a tragedy, though, and I feel for his family. I also feel for the soldiers who had to carry his mahogany caskett, it looked like it was heavy as hell, one of the Navy men seemed to have problems with it.

I made the thread because I know a great deal of people here knew who he was and what he was all about. He was probably the most genuine person that ever lived. Oh, and also, I didn't know this, but it was my 3rd birthday when he told Gorbachev to "tear down this wall!". :) I feel special.

Ich
06-08-2004, 12:04 AM
He was a good president, but I didn't know the guy. That's why I don't feel guilty about this (http://deadpool.rotten.com/profiles/13/05/16651.html).