PDA

View Full Version : Summer school over the internet

Jakq
06-05-2004, 12:09 PM
This is something new to me, and I am taking an english course over the internet. I just had lesson one today, and it was about native american writers, or something. Anyway, the last question, I had to write a story about the origin of something, so I chose night and day. What do you all think of the story?

Once, in a small village at the base of a mountain, there lived a man, who the people called Darkon. Everywhere Darkon went, a strange shadow followed him, and he was always shrouded in darkness. The people generally stayed away from him. It was because of this man, many believed, that this village was always in a never ending night.

Elsewhere, in a small village on the top of the mountain, there lived a man, who the people called Lighte. Everywhere Lighte went, there were no shadows, and a strange heat shrouded him. It also hurt ones eyes to look upon him. The people generally did not stay away from him. It was because of this man, many believed, that this village was always in a never ending day.

One day, Lighte went on a journey, down the mountain, to visit his friend, the fox, who lived near Darkon’s village. As he traveled down the mountain for his one day hike, Lighte’s village slowly drifted into later and later hours of the day, something it had never done.

By some chance of sheer luck, Darkon was departing, that very day, for a one day hike up the mountain to find his friend, the owl, who lived near Lighte’s village. As he traveled, Darkon’s village slowly drifted into later and later hours of the morning, something it had never done.

This day passed, and Darkon and Lighte returned home. Lighte’s village returned to its never ending day, and Darkon’s returned to its never ending night. People did not understand what was going on, but went about daily business as usual.

Things then stayed this way, for a long time. Darkon’s village being in a never ending night, and Lighte’s being in a never ending day. The people of Darkon’s village did not have crops, because there was no light, so they had to feed on creatures of the night. The people of Lighte’s village, on the other hand, did have light, and therefore, crops, and fed on these.

Then one day, for one reason or another, Lighte departed down the mountain, and Darkon departed upwards. Again, Lighte’s village slowly drifted into later and later hours of the day, and Darkon’s village slowly drifted into later and later hours of the morning. People started to make connections between night, day, and these two men.

The day passed, and the two men returned to their homes. Darkon’s village returned to it’s never ending night, and Lighte’s to a never ending day. The people of Darkon’s village liked the few hours of day that they had. The people of Lighte’s village enjoyed the few hours of night they had, as well.

The head of Darkon’s village asked the fox if he knew a man who would be Darkon’s opposite, and, if so, where he lived. The fox said yes, at the top of the mountain. The head of Lighte’s village asked the wise owl if he knew of a man who would be Lighte’s opposite, and, if so, where he lived. The owl said, yes, at the bottom of the mountain.
The head of Lighte’s village sent owl to Darkon’s village to arrange a meeting with the head of that village. They decided to meet halfway up the mountain. So, one day, the meeting was held. It was decided, Darkon and Lighte would forever travel up and down the mountain, at the exact same speed, at exact opposite directions. Lighte and Darkon thought that this was their purpose.

This is why we have night and day.

Archibaldo
06-05-2004, 10:12 PM
Hmmm... but if the part about when Darkon never left the village before then how did he know the owl? And the same for Lighte, how did he know the fox?

biggiy05
06-05-2004, 10:17 PM
Maybe the fox and owl visted them at their villages...

Jakq
06-05-2004, 10:30 PM
Didnt think of that, but I already submited the story.