PDA

View Full Version : Should I really re-try making a quest?

lord_jamitossi
06-03-2004, 07:47 PM
I've got a whole bunch of ideas:

- Map-Style overworld, kinda like in many of the Final Fantasy games (see my post in Dev. Exchange);
- Whistle becomes the "Staff of Change", which does different effects depending on the location;
-You start out in a burning house (if you tested my old game, you know what I mean). I've found that a good game always start at a certain level of excitement, to "strap in" the player (have you ever played Golden Sun? See what I mean?);
- An item (one of the "fake items" -i've forgotten their name...) that shows you in which general direction the next dungeon is in.
- A possibility of a sequel at the end.

I don't want to give too much away, so you'll have to rest with that.

Also, is a good Quest always hard? because DWR was so hard I lost interest in the second level.

*b*
06-03-2004, 08:00 PM
not all the time. if you're good with ZC and using tilesets, it's not hard at all. the hard part is coming up with a good storyline and maps. 128 screens is alot of screens to fill and make them look good

Alexfrog
06-03-2004, 08:07 PM
Also, is a good Quest always hard? because DWR was so hard I lost interest in the second level.

Then was that a good quest for you? No. Maybe it was for someone else though.

I think its good to have quest of a variety of difficulty levels, for different tastes.

Also, there are different kinds of 'hard'. Is it hard because it requires a lot of time spent exploring / burning every bush to find things like level entrances?
(And are there hints for these?)

Is it hard because it throws very difficult monsters at you, for your level of hearts, sword, armor etc at the time?

I personally like a moderate difficulty on the first and something harder than the basic zelda 2nd quest but easier than Phantom Menace's demo quest on the second condition...

One thing you could do: make the type of quest you would want to play.

I agree that the hard part in making a quest is to fill a lot of space with interesting areas. You want to have a lot of the arts of the game be memorable in some way, not just, that big forest with a level somewhere in it. Have some interesting landmarks, and hints to secrets based on them, which someone will get once they explore the area well, that sort of thing...

ZC Architech
06-03-2004, 09:09 PM
Agree, I like a good quest that is not to hard and not to easy, it has to be fun like LTTP. I have played through that in a matter of 3 days and i am still trying to find the last heart or should i say heart pieces.

lord_jamitossi
06-04-2004, 04:47 PM
*b*, I didn't mean hard to make, I meant hard to play. I've been working a little bit and it's going pretty well, so i'm gonna keep at it. I didn't mean to say that DWR was a bad quest, actually quite the contrary, it's incredible. I'm gonna keep on trying for mine.
The storyline's going to go really well because i'm fairly creative and it's loosly based on a story I wrote. The trick is to keep the player interested until the end, because I'm planing a HUGE twist there.

Arg. I just spilled Pepsi on my keyboard... yuk.

Thus said, what would you want to see in a Quest?