PDA

View Full Version : Implementing heart pieces + other Q's

Alexfrog
06-01-2004, 03:22 PM
Hi everyone!

I have started making a custom quest after reading the tutorial, and have a couple questions.

I am using the latest (beta) version of ZQuest. (Comes with the latest beta release of ZC) (I tried 1.90 or whatever it was, and had problems running it in XP, so I tried the new beta one and it worked)

Questions:

1) How do you implement heart pieces? I can place them in the game, but they dont do anything. Is there some rule I have to check?

2) Regarding combos. Lets say I want to make a burn combo so that I burn a tree and a staircase is revealed, leading to a room with a Guy. There are four spaces in the combo page to put something, do I have to put a staircase in all four, or just the first one? What are the four spots for, why not just one?
Also: in this case, should I use an under-combo at all, or not?

I am getting strange results with my combos where some of them do what I expect and some dont.

3) can I create a dungeon area, which does not have a level number (and is still dungeon type not cave)? I want to only number the dungeon areas with triforce pieces, so as not to confuse the player, but have other mini dungeon areas as well that are unnumbered.

Espo
06-01-2004, 06:05 PM
1) There are two different items to deal with hearts. One is HCpiece. this is a heart container piece and acts the same as in lttp. you need to collect four hcpieces in order to increase teh number of hearts. if you want to increase the number of hearts with just one item then you have to get the Heart Container item.

2) when you say four spaces hear i assume you are referring to the secret combo window. If i remember these spaces in order from left to write correspond to blue candle, red candle, wand fire, and din's fire. so if you want all of these items to create a certain combo when you burn something then you only need to place the secret combo in the first (blue candle) space. if you want the red candle to work but not the blue you need to use the second space (red candle). so extrapolate this concept and you can see how these secret combos are rated. another point here is that if you want this to work to reveal a stair case the best thing to do is not use this as a burn combo but instead put a burn flag on whatever combo you want to burn. then with the combo with the burn flag is burnt it triggers the screen burn secret and the secret combo you set will appear in it's place. if you use a burn combo you have to set the undercombo instead of the secret combo. the only difference here is that you now have a dedicated burn combo whereas using flags offers more flexibility in combo use.

3) all dmaps require some assigned level number. level 0 is the main overworld. levels 1-8 must be the levels in which the triforce pieces are found. if you use say level 10 and try to get a triforce piece in that level it will not appear in teh triforce template on your subscreen. level 9 is used as the final level (although I'm not sure whether this is really important as being a true functional level number). so you can surely have a minidungeon (regardless of cave or dungeon dmap type) and just assign it to a level of 10 or above.

so this is a lot to chew on. enjoy.

Alexfrog
06-01-2004, 06:33 PM
Thanks!

for #1, I mean HC pieces, not the full container. What do I do to allow them? I was testing it out and grabbed my HC piece, and it didnt show up anywhere on the character

for #2: Ok, so I put a burn flag (#4) on the tree I want to burn. Then in the secret combo section I put a staircase on the 4 spots for Burn (thanks for explaining what the 4 spots are for). Then I set the room type to secret money, or whatever...??

#3: ok, I'll number mini-dungeons with 10+! thanks.

Freedom
06-01-2004, 06:48 PM
just put the stairs on the first one.

the HC piece shows up in the inventory, if it's not there you add it in graphics>sprite>items, I think it's called., the piece progresses in 1/4's

Cloral
06-01-2004, 06:49 PM
#1) Theres a sprite under the sprites->weapons and misc. for the heart piece sequence. You need 4 graphics in order - No Pieces, 1 Piece, 2 Pieces, 3 Pieces. Set this sprite to the first graphic in the sequence (no pieces). Then ZC will use the appropriate pictures in the sequence depending on how many pieces the player has. Also, you have to have the second or third subscreen type enabled (this is done on the last page of the init data) for them to show up at all - as the original LoZ didn't have heart pieces.