PDA

View Full Version : G-Mail opposer for the 1GB free e-mail...

TedHead
05-31-2004, 08:46 PM
This has probably been talked about long ago, but I haven't been here for about a month, so sorry if it's a repeat.

If you guys didn't know, Google has been working on a free e-mail service offering 1GB of space to each of it's customers. Currently in beta testing, it's found at http://gmail.google.com/ It totally crushes out Hotmail's measely 2MB e-mail.

WELL! Spymac is their first opposition. Their 1GB free e-mail is already out there available to the entire world. Not only that, they throw in 250MB space for photos in galleries you can make and 100MB webspace. I got an account, I gotta say it's a great service. http://www.spymac.com/

I thought you guys might be interested in a shweet deal like this.

Rainman
05-31-2004, 08:52 PM
I dunno, I kind of want to get a google.com email address. I don't need the webspace so spymac and google are pretty much even for me.

slothman
05-31-2004, 11:56 PM
Spymac. Yea I want an account that has the word spy in it. Anywho I don't really need Gmail. I like being able to have all the files on my computer so I don't have to connect to the internet to look at them. And it's faster. It's not like I need 1024*8*1024*1024*1000 millibits or email space.

TedHead
06-01-2004, 04:21 PM
...what's wrong with e-mail having the word spy in it? :S

sagelink
06-01-2004, 09:15 PM
If you guys didnt already know, GMAIL would have been available before spymac (which is safe, sloth) but it turns out that they are now experimenting with a Terabyte of space. A freaking terabyte. To me, thats rediculous, seeing as how in the hell will I ever use THAT much space in text?! I'm still gonna use it though :D . There is no telling whether or not gmail is going to use the giga or tera byte, though. We will have to wait and see.

deathbyhokie
06-01-2004, 09:34 PM
There is no telling whether or not gmail is going to use the giga or tera byte, though. We will have to wait and see.
if they are, they haven't opened the terrabyte to beta yet. although i'm rather satisified with gmail at the moment.

i also ask you this: can you search throuhg your messages? are the ads text ads, or the annoying flash ones?

Questwizard88
06-01-2004, 09:43 PM
I don't use g-mail,but i'm pretty sure they would be text ads, because google's search and other services only use text ads, which is an idea I would support. I would rather just have a small table with a couple ads on it than have like 15 popups and banners all over the place like some other free e-mail services. I don't have to put up with any ads right now, as my e-mail account is through my ISP instead of a free service, so I am able to just use MS Outlook to handle e-mail. Only one problem with it, and that is that I dont get a whole lot of space with it.

rexlaninetales
06-02-2004, 07:10 PM
Gmail huh? thats nothing. I get almost unlimited space at my college's webmail. Why in the world would I need a gigabyte (much less a terabyte) of space? All of my music is in midi format so no need for bulky MP3s or Wavs.