PDA

View Full Version : Leaving for MDA Rainbow Camp on Saturday!

Monica
05-31-2004, 12:30 PM
Hey y'all, I just wanna say I'll be gone all next week to Rainbow Camp, the greatest camp on Earth. It's a muscular dystrophy camp (part of Jerry Lewis's telethon money goes to fund each state's camp while most of the rest goes to research)

You can be a camper until you turn 22, and counselors have to be at least 16. Each camper is assigned a personal counselor who stays with them, shares a bunk with them and helps them. This might seem a little boring, but all of us campers are handicapped (about 75% in wheelchairs) and it helps me a lot because my blindness is there as well. My parents wouldn't let me go to a regular camp because the counselors and campers just do their own things most times, but I need a bit more help getting around. I've gone to Rainbow Camp since I was 10

We ride horses, swim in a chlorine pool, fish in a pond, and have sports, and have nightly programs like Karaoke (my favorite) a carnival (with games in the gym and a rockclimb wall and jumping castle and cotton candy and snow cones outside) and messy games in the afternoon on Wednesday where we get our counselors messy with shaving cream, mustard, ketchup and maple syrup. :laughing:

On Thursday night, the night before we come back is datenight, where campers ask a counselor of the opposite gender to take them first to a fancy dinner in the cafeteria which they make up as a fancy resturaunt and then to the dance in the gym. Last year they rented a white limo and we rode in that! :D

During the week we win Rainbow cash that we use to buy things in the rainbow store. I usually stick to the great CD choices, after I buy myself a basketball to use in the gym or the outside court, and get a few nice things for my brother and sister. ;)

This year's theme will be Olympics and each cabin will be a different country. There will also be a Rainbow Idol which I'm really excited about, we haven't done that before but I love to sing and I love American Idol. :)

It's hosted at a church camp so of course we have Sunday service and we say the pledge and sing the Star Spangled Banner and pray before every meal. Everyone is soooo friendly there, and they call it Heaven on Earth and as far as I'm concerned, it is. :)

Does anyone else here go to Summer Camp? What are the "real" (hehe) camps like?

Ingenue
05-31-2004, 12:46 PM
Never went to camp growing up but I went to Scicon and your Rainbow Camp sounds like it lots. I love riding horses. =)

Kind of OT but I love Dragonriders of Pern! Are those books still going? I remember reading them and it seems like so long ago.

moocow
05-31-2004, 01:11 PM
I went to band camp during the summer every summer for 5 years until I graduated. Does that count?

Monica
05-31-2004, 01:26 PM
Never went to camp growing up but I went to Scicon and your Rainbow Camp sounds like it lots. I love riding horses. =)

Kind of OT but I love Dragonriders of Pern! Are those books still going? I remember reading them and it seems like so long ago.

I'm not sure if they are or not, her writing was too confusing for me, that's why I stick to Ridges. :) I love Pern too!