PDA

View Full Version : Would you want another one?

DarkFlameWolf
05-25-2004, 11:47 PM
http://dynamic5.gamespy.com/~darkwolf/islewinds.gif

I'm currently making a island wind-waker-ish quest. But for the most part, its a simple 8-triforce collecting quest. Its nothing different from previous quests I've made (except for new overworlds, dungeons, etc.) and it will offer nothing new in terms of graphics or gameplay. It'll be a simple, straight-forward quest that you can simply sit down, and plug away at for the fun and hell of it. My question is, would any of you want a simple quest like that anymore? Or would you rather have something new and refreshing that's never been seen before?

Oh and for those curious, the image above is the overworld in its current state. I've yet to add minor islands to the big patches of blue.

mandi2
05-26-2004, 02:33 AM
hi,
i think it could be also refreshing to play a simple quest of you again. i really like the gameplay of your quests, so please- please- please make it.
mandi

StarFox
05-26-2004, 04:16 AM
Keep it simple. There's enough people making quests and not making any progress. At least we know you'll finish a quest. =P Besides, that's where your heart is. You don't like making anything really fancy. Your heart is with these romps, and people always enjoy them. I just don't want to see yet another person fall into a state of inactivity.

JayeM
05-26-2004, 06:32 AM
"New and refreshing that's never been seen before" is great in it's place, but I think we all love any kind of well-made quest. Go for it!

Petoe
05-26-2004, 08:44 AM
Not to underrestimate your Zquest skills, but stick with the "basic" quests since you do them so well and almost everyone loves your well-made simple quests. (Even I do though I'm not a big fan of normal Zelda quests ;) )

bmowrey
05-26-2004, 09:27 AM
I'd also say simple fun quests are great; I like playing the ones you know you can complete in an hour or two, but are still fun to play. I'll certainly play whatever you release!

Dark Entity
05-26-2004, 04:25 PM
Hidden Duality is, to this date, the best ZC quest I've ever played, as well as one of the few quests I've actually completed. I would love to play another quest made by you that follows the same style used in HD. So to answer your question, yes I would like to see Isle of the Winds completed.

DarkFlameWolf
05-26-2004, 07:20 PM
Well the only thing this quest has in common with HD is two overworlds. (combined to form one massive overworld) And over 12 dungeons and tons of secrets. Other than that, its completely new. And like Wind Waker, for those who like fighting bosses, they'll all make a reapparance in black and white with red wizzrobes helping out the second time around! (around 6 per boss)

But I guess there is more people than I thought there would be looking forward to this type of quest. Depending on how much time I have over the course of the next two weeks. I could finish it in less than a month. In time for that quest contest Blonde may be starting.

Freedom
05-26-2004, 07:30 PM
build it and they will come.

:)

DarkFlameWolf
05-27-2004, 03:43 PM
Okay, then I need help from all of you. Each dungeon will be based off of the 12 astrological signs. My request to all of you is to provide me info on the properties of each sign (Gemini, Scorpio, etc) and its elemental attribute and color. (if any) This will help me in deciding which dungeons to name and what properties they should have.

Odanaki
05-27-2004, 08:36 PM
:grad:

It would be a long story to establish relationships with all the Signs.

First, there are Four Elements:

Fire: Aries, Leo and Sagittarius.

Earth: Taurus, Virgo and Capricorn.

Air: Gemini, Libra and Aquarius.

Water: Cancer, Scorpio and Pisces.

Secondly, there are Three Status for each Element. The first is Cardinal Signs (in french) and is in relationship with Aries, Cancer, Libra and Capricorn. The second is Fixed Signs and goes with Taurus, Leo, Scorpio and Aquarius. The third is frequently called Double Signs and is related to Gemini, Virgo, Sagittarius and Pisces.

In fact the Twelve are Four Elements by Three Levels.

Also, you have the so called Masculine Signs, which are the Fire and Air Signs; while the so called Feminine Signs are the Earth and Water Signs. So the Twelve are Six Signs for each Two Genders.

It would be hard though to attribute a specific color for each Sign. It would be a nice goal from you if you wanted your Quest to teach some basics of Astrology. But it would be also very time consuming before you get to the point.

Since I play Zelda Quests for fun, please release your Quest as soon as possible. I have been waiting for that one since you annouced it around Christmas time.

TIA

DarkFlameWolf
05-27-2004, 09:23 PM
Thank you, the dungeon designs and their attributed names won't be perfectly exact. My goal was never this. However, this does help tremendously. However, For specific dungeons like Gemini, I'd have two parts, almost mirroring each other and puzzles reflecting this mirror relationship. Likewise, (not sure which sign but....) one dungeon will have doors that will open/close depending on switches you press which simulate the changing mind of someone of that particular sign. etc. Little things like that to give each dungeon a small personality and uniqueness. As for releasing this quest as soon as possible........wait a month or so. I'm not all on Zquest 24/7 like I use to be. And it seems I've lost my touch to create 3 day wonders. *sigh*

EDIT:
More Quest info can be found here:
http://www.purezc.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=7&t=6335

carrot red
06-03-2004, 02:09 PM
Nah, you didn't. I've heard you talk about the Wind Waker quest idea a while back, I thought you already did it. I haven't played any quest for a long time now and yours would be a good place to start again, DFW. I'm a Gemini, so I get it for the dual dungeon. Libra has two arms too... Come think of it, JayeM's Planet quest played on the signs to find the dungeons locations.

Alexfrog
06-03-2004, 02:39 PM
I think this is the kind of quest I like too. :)

What does everyone think are the key elements of these quests that make them great? Dark Entity, why is Hidden Duality the greatest quest made??

This is the type of quest I am trying to create as well.

Here are my thoughts on the key points, I want to know if people agree with them (trying to get feedback so that I can make a quest people will like):

1) Focus is on the progression through the levels, gaining in power as you go, while the enemies increase in difficulty, so as to always be challenging but not ultra-hard/frustrating.

2) It shouldnt be completely linear, instead you should be able to wander reasonably large areas hunting for things, but not so wide of areas that you get lost/stuck or frustrated. I think of one where you always know the next place to go as too streamlined, but something as wide open as the original zelda quests as too open, somewhere in the middle where you explore an area about the size of 1/4 or 1/3 the size of the original overworld map, in which there are a couple levels, and several critical items and some other secrets, before proceeding on to another (clearly deliniated) area, which you cant enter until you finish the tasks of the previous area, to provide some structure / progression.

3) Secrets, level entrances, etc should be reasonably well hidden, but any critical thing (necessary item, level entrance), should have a hint somewhere about how to find it, so that people cant get completely lost. The more riddle-like the hint is the better, it shouldnt be immediately obvious, but anyone who has explored the area to a reasonable extent should be able to figure it out.

Also, I like to in some way tell the player what secret items are hidden in an area, so they know when they have finished exploring it and found everything.

I think that summarizes well what I like: room to explore but some direction as to where to go, well hidden things with hints to find them, and a way to know what things are hidden so I know when I have them all in an area and can go on.

Does that sound good to everyone? Suggestions?

DarkFlameWolf
06-11-2004, 08:01 PM
Well, here is the official level line-up:

Taurus - Level 1
Libra - Level 2
Scorpio - Level 3
Cancer - Level 4
Pisces - Level 5
Capricorn - Level 6
Gemini - Level 7
Leo - Level 8
Virgo - Level 9