PDA

View Full Version : Classic Zelda Classic Release (ZC100W1)

MottZilla
05-25-2004, 12:27 AM
So the other day I was in need of something interesting to work on programming wise, and for whatever reason I felt like working with Zelda. I had recently been playing Zelda Classic v1.0 which was the point when ZC was basically a complete Legend of Zelda clone. So I thought, wouldn't it be nice if ZC 1.0 were available for windows, as before it was only for DOS. So yadda yadda, Phantom Menace and I talked and I got to start working on a win32 port. Within 20 mins I had the game ported, with bugs ofcourse as I was tired as hell. ;p

So anyways, Phantom Menace and I both worked on this port and it's quite solid now. Some differences are there though. Unlike ZC 1.0 DOS the bait actually works, it didn't work in the DOS ZC till a few versions later. Also the dat files are not exactly the same. That's all I can think of offhand.

Anyways, here we go. I didn't have any hosting I cold use for this so I just make some angelfire pages. Each has 1GB of transfer per month so it shouldn't be a problem. ;p

http://www.angelfire.com/cantina/zc100w1/index.html
http://www.angelfire.com/cantina/zc100w1_m1/index.html

This includes ZC (aka Zeldaw.EXE) and Zquest (Zquestw.EXE) as well as the original ZC 1.0 1st.qst 2nd.qst demo.qst example.qst zelda.dat zquest.dat

Btw, a couple of don'ts:
Don't try to use the zelda.dat or zquest.dat files from ZC 1.0 DOS.
Don't try to play quests made with Zquest versions higher than 1.0, they won't work.
Don't piss against the wind.

Gerudo
05-25-2004, 02:51 AM
kudos to the both of you ;)

and while i dont plan on using this, i will mirror it in case angelcrap goes down...

http://www.gerudo.net/hosted/zc100w1/zc100w1.zip

JayeM
05-25-2004, 09:57 AM
Cool, Mottz! A true classic now available for people with WinXP.

Eckels
05-25-2004, 10:06 AM
it's about damned time, mottzy!

har har. good job. I'll add it to zc.com tonite.

*b*
05-25-2004, 12:59 PM
woah, talk about ancient. you can't even change the item/weapon data!

good job you guys :D

MottZilla
05-25-2004, 01:04 PM
Cool, Mottz! A true classic now available for people with WinXP.

That's pretty much the point of the Win32 port. ;) And as it says in the readme *b*, Zquest was still not intended to be user friendly. And ofcourse, this is before many of the extra features were ever added.

But still, it's a classic, and can be a standard for anyone wanting to make a classic quest.

Rydia
05-25-2004, 03:16 PM
This is cool. It's really neat seeing the first version actually run in XP. I am curious, are you going to do this to 1.84 or 1.90? Just wondering.

DarkFlameWolf
05-25-2004, 05:15 PM
probably not until the next full 2.0 release. There is no point in porting a beta to XP until its finalized. Because betas go by so fast until a new one comes out.

vegeta1215
05-25-2004, 07:27 PM
Very cool Mottz & PM. Nice work :thumbsup:

Even though you can do a lot more with the newer versions of ZC, I really like the simplicity of the older versions. Plus, you have to be a little more clever to make puzzles/tricks with the limitations of the old versions ;)

When I get back home after summer is over, I'm gonna see if I can run this on Linux with Wine!

MottZilla
05-26-2004, 04:03 PM
This is cool. It's really neat seeing the first version actually run in XP. I am curious, are you going to do this to 1.84 or 1.90? Just wondering.

I've thought about 1.84 before. Never decided anything. :O Might be rather silly though, the point of porting 1.0 is because it's a simple and solid LoZ clone. 1.84 is that plus alot of features, but soon I'm sure Dark Nation and FCF will have a stable windows release (not beta). So then it would seem rather silly I guess. But then again, it wouldn't take very long to do.

MottZilla
05-28-2004, 06:03 PM
I had to make a minor update to Zquest. You might want to get it. The first mirror has it, I lost the password to the second. http://www.angelfire.com/cantina/zc100w1/index.html

Questwizard88
05-28-2004, 09:17 PM
I came up with a couple suggestions, but im not sure if they are possible to easily add in.

1) Allow for pages 0-5 in tiles. Having only 2 pages is very limiting. Same for combos.
2) Customized GUI colors should affect the entire GUI, not just the menu bar. should also affect the player.
3) Very basic tile grabbing functonality, even if it's only 1, 2, 4, or 8 bit .bmp files. If not .bmp, pcx.

I will be making a list of what numbers can be used for gui_fg, and gui_bg, and the colors they represent, for those who don't want to keep trying random numbers to get the results they want.

I might also try making a quest with it. It seems quite easy to use.

EDIT: GUI colors list can be found here for those who want to look at it: http://filespace.org/Questwizard88/guicolor.txt

MottZilla
05-30-2004, 04:21 AM
I suppose I could look into allowing you to have more tiles and more combo pages, but that might be slipping out of the purpose of the port. The GUI colors I'll look at. Btw, thanks for your .txt that's nifty. The tile grabbing I'll look at. Something you may not have mentioned but I noticed today, it seems tile import/export is broken. Haven't been able to determine why yet. Haven't noticed anything else yet though.

Questwizard88
05-30-2004, 10:36 AM
Since I'm making a complete test quest with this, I'll inform you of any bugs I find when I test it out.

EDIT: Just found a little bit of a glitch, on the select Dmap screen. When you select a Dmap, view its and change it's properties, and then view another one that uses a different map, the number next to Map: doesn't seem to be cleared in the background, and caused the number 20 to appear on me, although that isn't what it was set to:
http://questwizard.servegame.com/files/dmapbug.gif

MottZilla
05-31-2004, 02:18 PM
Ah, that's a screen update issue. I will fix that. Thanks man. ;)

Phantom Menace
06-06-2004, 12:59 AM
Hey all, glad to see there is some interest in ZC's roots. I had thought about porting v1.0 but never started it. Finally Mottzilla got things going.

Just a quick note to clarify a couple things:

First, like Mottzilla said, the idea behind this was to preserve and maintain the v1.0 release of ZC because it was the first full LoZ clone. Everything since then has been extra stuff added on beyond the LoZ features. So no new features will be added to the "v1.00 W.x" engine (that's what the current v1.9x development is for). The only updates to this Windows port of zelda.exe will be for any bugs that might need to be fixed. If there's enough interest, Mottzilla can add enhancements to zquestw.exe, but the quest format needs to stay the same (and compatible between the DOS and Win32 versions).

Second (and I know this is just a small thing), the enemy bait did work in the original v1.00 release, as indicated by the readme:

12/29/99: (v1.00) More detail and bug fixes. I changed the 'Quit'
command to act more like the NES game: it's now the equivalent of
pausing and pressing up and A on controller 2. The 'Save' command
is gone. Both NES quests are finished. The demo quest has a new
dungeon to explore. I finally made the enemies chase the food. :)
I did have to add the enemy bait code to the Win32 port, however, because my v1.0 source code turned out to be something in between v0.99 and 1.00, and I guess the last thing I did for 1.0 was make the enemies chase the food. (The code turned out to be pretty simple; don't know why I put it off so long... :rolleyes: )

Enjoy!

Phantom Menace
07-13-2004, 12:34 AM
Pardon the double post, but I had to raise this thread up so ya'll would see this update...

The latest version, v1.00 W.3, was finished a few weeks ago but hasn't made it onto zc.com yet. You can download it here: http://www.jcraner.com/zc/downloads/zc100w3.zip This fixes a serious bug that causes crashes on Win2000/XP.

bigjoe
07-13-2004, 02:14 PM
Pardon the double post, but I had to raise this thread up so ya'll would see this update...

The latest version, v1.00 W.3, was finished a few weeks ago but hasn't made it onto zc.com yet. You can download it here: http://www.jcraner.com/zc/downloads/zc100w3.zip This fixes a serious bug that causes crashes on Win2000/XP.
Wish I could try this out! Still posting from the library.

How likely is a windows version of 1.84?

MottZilla
07-13-2004, 03:55 PM
I dunno, it would seem silly if a new stable ZC were to come out soon to even bother porting 1.84.

GerrardCapashen
07-18-2004, 12:05 AM
Like I said in another post ... what we would need is a 1.90 windows version more than anything else as of now. Of course like you said it would be silly if a stable and compatible ;) version comes out and works well with 1.90 quests. But if the next update is not for soon ... you might very well consider the fact of doing a windows version of 1.90. Seriously, it's what people with computers less than seven years old are missing now :P.