PDA

View Full Version : Taks

Riku
05-23-2004, 12:33 AM
Here in Texas we are required to take the TAKS(texas assesment of knowledge and skills) tests in history, science, math, and reading. You have to pass them to graduate, and we take them every year but only your JR./SR. year count. Does anyone else have to take a test similar to this?

Menokh
05-23-2004, 12:37 AM
In Massachusetts we have the MCAS. The Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System. It is in Math, History, English and science. When I took it I was in the first class that needed to pass it to graduate(class of 2003), but I dropped out the year after I passed it with flying colors. Anyhow, in MA, last I checked we only had to pass the English and Math sections to graduate, apparently history and science aren't important to the MA legislature.

Now MA studends need to take it in 4th, 8th and 10th grades. They might have added more since I last checked though. As far as I know the 10th grade one is the only one that counts.

SixTen
05-23-2004, 12:39 AM
Here in PA, we have to do a separate project in the catergories of: Written, Research, Visual and Oral. Once we complete a project in each of those catergories, only then are we allowed to graduate.

Glitch
05-23-2004, 01:32 AM
We have those in ohio too, but i think they are called Ohio Profiency (sp) Test. You have to take them in 8th and 12th grade.. You must pass both sets to pass.

deathbyhokie
05-23-2004, 10:25 AM
Here in Texas we are required to take the TAKS(texas assesment of knowledge and skills) tests in history, science, math, and reading. You have to pass them to graduate, and we take them every year but only your JR./SR. year count. Does anyone else have to take a test similar to this?

here in virginia, they're called SOL's(standards of learning). you have ot take one for every SOL class you have in high school. when i graduated, we didn't need them to get our diploma, but my younger brother needs to pass some odd number in order to graduate

goKi
05-23-2004, 10:35 AM
I had to take the 'ELLA' (English Language and Literacy Assessment [i think]) i was 5 years ago.

Archibaldo
05-23-2004, 10:43 AM
I don't think we have any particular exam where I live. Of what I know we just take our normal exams after school ends.

moocow
05-23-2004, 09:34 PM
We have the Proficiencys and the CAT tests... not sure what CAT stands for. For the Ohio Proficiencys, you have Math, Science, Reading, Writing, and Social Studies. We took them twice a year from 9th grade until you passed them all. I passed Science, Reading and Writing the first time. I didn't pass Math adn Social Studies until the second time I took them my 10th grade year.

Toolie
05-23-2004, 10:12 PM
We take the PSSA (Pennsylvania System of School Assessment) tests, and recently they've mandated receiving a "fair" mark on them is required to graduate, in addition to completing a comprehensive senior project presentation.

Ian
05-23-2004, 10:43 PM
We have CRT's (Criterion Reference Test) that we take every 3 years starting in the 3rd grade. They don't count for anything, so nobody ever tries on them. I know of nothing else after that.

Pablo
05-24-2004, 12:02 AM
We had Illinois State Achievement tests that we took... oh, think it was 3rd, 5th, and 7th grades. They didn't affect anything or mess with any grades, though.

SixTen
05-24-2004, 10:07 AM
We take the PSSA (Pennsylvania System of School (http://www.adsrve.com/linkredirect.php?h=649,22030303,armageddongames.ne t,0) Assessment) tests, and recently they've mandated receiving a "fair" mark on them is required to graduate, in addition to completing a comprehensive senior project presentation.
Yes. I forgot about the PSSA's. They suck, but don't really have any bearing on life at school. (I don't think.)