PDA

View Full Version : DS Movies at IGN

Warlock
05-14-2004, 06:03 AM
http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/515/515497p1.html

They have videos for pretty much every DS demo at the show now. You should def. check them out, they all pretty much rock. Metroid Prime: Hunters looks absolutely amazing. Anti-aliasing and a few 2d objects aside, the game looked almost as good as the GC version. You could tell it was running on inferior hardware but the graphics looked well beyond anything I ever saw on the N64.

The Pikachu one was actually pretty funny too. Haha.. they had a pokemon lottery ticket where you had to scratch off the silver stuff (you know, like with a penny) so you rubbed your stylus against it I guess.. haha.. that was clever.. you could also smack pikachu around :D

Carving was pretty cool too.. and Pac Pix was great.. you basically try to draw a really shitty line-drawing of Pac Man, and then it comes to life and you have to draw walls in front of him to stear him towards the ghosts. It was great. The Table Hockey one looks like it would be fun too (if they expanded on it a little more.. but it's a great idea.. almost like the real thing). Pac n' Roll also looks like a cute idea. The bottom screen was just a round pacman, and you push it with your fingers like one of those arcade machines that have the balls in them (like the bowling games where you push the ball on the machine to roll your bowling ball). But anyways then the game was like Marble Madness, so you had to roll pacman towards the pellets and avoid the ghosts.. very cool concept. Wario Ware is also very funny although it's really short. It's just a bunch of really quick (and I mean QUICK) little games like erase the blackboard as fast as you can, or slice some veggies as they fly across the screen.. but there were some great ideas.

Definately check out Mario 64x4 though. The game really does seem to be a port of Mario 64 (I was unsure after the first movie b/c they just flew around Peach's Castle and it seemed more like a battle game). But they go to the first level, that Bob-omb Battlefield one and it seemed to be a pretty close duplication of the original. The coins looked different (I think they were actually 3d whereas they were maybe 2d in Mario 64 - not really sure tho), but most of it looked right. It was pretty cool :) heh.. I guess the object might be if you are playing multiplayer to collect more stars than the other players (maybe it doesn't kick you out of the level when you get one this time?). They showed the other three players but it was a single player booth I guess so only Mario played.

But this makes me wonder how possible a port of Ocarina of Time would be ;) God, just think of it. I mean, screw the C buttons. You don't need em. For the ocarina they could actually PUT an ocarina on the bottom screen or something, and you'd press the right holes.. that would freaking rock. You have X & Y to cover two of the items.. not sure about the third (R I guess?). Bottom could generally just display your menu. It would default to the map but you could TOUCH the arrows to swap between different screens... touch the item you want to select (at least for equiping swords and boots and stuff - actual items would prob. need to know what button you want it on)... man it would rock :D

Anyways, definately check that stuff out. The SFX demo is kinda dumb but it's ok I guess. It didn't seem to do much tho (they clicked some buttons and objects flew out). I don't think they showed the whole thing.. they barely showed the 3d screen on it. Bomberman was also a little disappointing. The 3d screen seemed fairly useless. It's kinda cool and all to see a 3d bomberman but it looked fairly unplayable compared to the much better 2d screen below (which was the same field, just more Super Bombermany and you could see SOOOO much more of the field). It could be a cool game but they should really put the dual screens to better use. The Sub one was kinda cute. I guess you adjust the gauges to steer the sub. Egg Monsters looked like a pokemon ripoff and also looked stupid ;) heh.. Sonic was ok but I'm not quite sure I got how it worked. I think you had to pump something on the bottom screen to speed him up or something, they didn't show the bottom screen. But he seemed to be on a track and it looked like you controlled his speed somehow and his jumping. Neat idea but I hope that's not the whole game ;) It was more racing than an actual sonic game. Mario's Face was ok too. Not much more than a tech demo. They aught to include it w/ the machine tho ;) One kinda neat thing is that they could switch between normal 3d and cel shading. The cel shading didn't look as good on the video though. I think that may just be the video's fault though, not sure.

Cloral
05-14-2004, 05:19 PM
Damnit - I want to look at these, but I'm not an IGN Insider. :(
Does anywhere else have these videos?

Grasshopper
05-14-2004, 06:02 PM
Well, alot of the vids I've been looking at, I've gotten off of Gametrailers (http://www.gametrailers.com). And I mean, a LOT. But they don't have some of the gameplay trailers, or demo clips that say IGN would have.

Warlock
05-14-2004, 11:29 PM
Damnit - I want to look at these, but I'm not an IGN Insider. :(
Does anywhere else have these videos?

All of them have a free WMV version. Not as high quality as the QT versions that are insider only but you can still watch them.

*b*
05-15-2004, 12:34 AM
good God, those graphics on
http://e.1asphost.com/Eder/ds.JPG
that little thing!?

that's definatley worth every penny

AlexMax
05-15-2004, 03:13 PM
Wario Ware DS makes me giggle with childlike glee.

Carmine
05-15-2004, 04:43 PM
Man this DS is nice and all, but judging by all the games, what will become of our beloved 2D classics ;) ?

Warlock
05-16-2004, 07:55 PM
Man this DS is nice and all, but judging by all the games, what will become of our beloved 2D classics ;) ?

DS can do 2d games too.. heck, it's ideal now for SNES ports since it has all the buttons of the SNES (A,B,X,Y,L,R) unlike GBA which always has to make sometimes akward choices (tried to go back and play ALTTP this weekend and SERIOUSLY wish they had a control setup.. R for dash,talk,pickup,etc is terrible considering they put the stupid special item on A and that isn't used nearly as much - and then even some of them are more one-shot items like the medallions, flute, cape, canes, etc where you don't use them frequently in succession).

Rainman
05-16-2004, 08:30 PM
After seeing this I'm pretty sure I'll be picking up one when it comes out. Nintendo has always had the market pretty much cornered on handhelds.

Btw, what's the projected price on this thing?

Warlock
05-16-2004, 08:59 PM
After seeing this I'm pretty sure I'll be picking up one when it comes out. Nintendo has always had the market pretty much cornered on handhelds.

Btw, what's the projected price on this thing?

No projected price yet. I wouldn't expect it to cost over $150 though. Nintendo likes to keep their stuff cheap.

Dart Zaidyer
05-16-2004, 11:22 PM
Once again, Nintendo has got me sold. And N64 shovelware (Well, what little they have, considering how the thing was such a flop) should actually benefit from the DS, since it's much cooler. (Look, no fog!)

Tygore
05-16-2004, 11:33 PM
DS can do 2d games too.. heck, it's ideal now for SNES ports since it has all the buttons of the SNES (A,B,X,Y,L,R) unlike GBA which always has to make sometimes akward choices (tried to go back and play ALTTP this weekend and SERIOUSLY wish they had a control setup.. R for dash,talk,pickup,etc is terrible considering they put the stupid special item on A and that isn't used nearly as much - and then even some of them are more one-shot items like the medallions, flute, cape, canes, etc where you don't use them frequently in succession).

On the flip side, I would HATE to use the R button for arrows, especially how often I use them. Since A could also open chests/talk, it didn't effect me to often. Pegasus boots, meh. Still use 'em like crazy.

But, I still agree- the GBA NEEDED the X/Y buttons. BADLY.

Dart Zaidyer
05-17-2004, 12:00 AM
Any remaining SNES shovelware will definitely be reserved for the DS, I betcha. It would be much, much easier to do then, not just for X and Y buttons but also sound and maybe even some screen set-ups. Super Metroid, for example, wouldn't have to butcher itself as much as it would have with the GBA, and the entire HUD could fit with the Map subscreen on the touch screen.

Grasshopper
05-17-2004, 10:28 AM
Well, just like the SNES games had to be tweaked before porting over to the GBA, the N64 games they remake will have to be done the same way. We are still lacking two more buttons that would be the c buttons, and there is no Z trigger. And some games used the D-Pad as well as the analog stick (ex. like the Turok games), so thats 4 buttons thats gone.

Warlock
05-17-2004, 09:36 PM
Yeah, I would love to see Super Metroid on the thing. I mean, heck, the second screen for the map would actually be pretty cool too. Maybe they could even use the 3d effects with that world map (the one which doesn't really have rooms but general regions) and you could push it with your fingers to rotate it and stuff.. nothing all that special but it would be fun :) Maybe they could even add cool stuff like something similar to the log in Metroid Prime (no scan visor, but when you kill an enemy he could be put in the log and maybe they could even do rotatible models or wireframes or something :D)