PDA

View Full Version : The worst Type of natural disaster

skidphyzz
05-13-2004, 06:15 PM
What is Teh wurst!? Or what affects you most?
Tornados are basically the only typed of natural disaster around here, besides severe lightning, which has still never really been a concern around here.

Menokh
05-13-2004, 06:47 PM
I vote hurricanes because of the economic damage that persists for months after the storm itself. Look at some of the massive typhoons that hit Asia for examples.

Here on Cape Cod, we get few storms. Thunderstorms tend to die the second they hit the Cape Cod Canal, and blizzards tend to hit northern areas harder. But we are prone to hurricanes and minor tornadoes. I've experieced one direct hurricane hit, three of four tropical storm hits and been in one minor tornado(it went right over my house). Other than that, I am about 100 miles from a major fault line, although it hasn't had a major quake in centuries, it could.

Ganon's Minion
05-13-2004, 06:48 PM
At risk of sounding too technical, acid rain isn't really a natural disaster. But I'm going to go with tornadoes.

Archibaldo
05-13-2004, 06:54 PM
I would have to say severe lightning srorms because the only other disaster up there that my town has been faced with was a minor earthquake. It didn't do any serious damage. BUt severe lightning storms sound kinda dangerous.

MANDRAG GANON
05-13-2004, 06:59 PM
I'm with archibaldo on this one. Severe Thunderstorms! We have them from time to time. Earthquakes would come in second. Like a year ago I think there was a really small earthquake heh.
Usually with severe thunderstorms they have tornado watches and like to say people "saw tornadoes"...but yeah last tornado that acctually landed around here and did any damage was in the 1950s I believe.
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING GO!

Dracula
05-13-2004, 07:34 PM
At risk of sounding too technical, acid rain isn't really a natural disaster.

I think there's some form of acid rain in result from a volcanic eruption... at least I think there is, or something like it.

Anywho... I'd have to say volcanoes are pretty bad. Just imagine an entire city of today ending up like Pompeii? ...freaky.

*b*
05-13-2004, 07:40 PM
I'd have to go with flooding. that's the only weather danger in Albany (other than severe heat), and that's only happend a couple times since I moved to Oregon

Samson007
05-13-2004, 07:48 PM
I go with tsunami's. If one is big enough, it could knock out a building. Its like a flood and a hurricane in one. And they are usually a result of an earthquake, so its like 3 disasters in one!

Ibis, God of Magicks
05-13-2004, 09:20 PM
OMG! You forget the single most devistating natural disaster!

THe 500 lbs women in a string bikini!

Ahhh!! THe Horror!

SixTen
05-13-2004, 10:22 PM
I voted Tsunami's, because they can often take entire houses off their foundations and carry them for miles.

Riku
05-13-2004, 11:01 PM
I voted drought because if you go long enough without water, eventually there is nothing left. But the worst around here is tornados.

slothman
05-14-2004, 12:30 AM
Drought is probably the worst for everyone but we don't get those up here. Flooding is about the worst here we'll get. Except for ice storms which aren't named but can cut power and gasp internet for days.

Hickman
05-14-2004, 02:20 AM
i went with a drought. Cause it not only messes with the food supply in that area but also messes with farms way of liveing and there livestock

ShadowTiger
05-14-2004, 08:14 AM
I sincerely believe it to be a Volcano. If a volcano suddenly spawns underneath your quiet little mountain redneck town, yer all toast. :p .. It's just that simple.

.. Yeah, .. I.. Kinda got that from South Park. :sweat:

But really, think of the carnage! And the children!

zfreak2004
05-14-2004, 08:15 AM
Having been around a couple of tornados, this was was a pretty easy pick for me. Severe thunderstorms come in at a close second for me though... Oh, and we did have a pretty bad ice storm that cut the power for about 2 days a couple of years ago.

Jemsee
05-14-2004, 10:42 AM
It is a toss up between Tornadoes and Hurricanes, IMO.
They are kind of the same.
I voted Hurricanes because I was in one. Nasty things they are.

Master Ghaleon
05-14-2004, 12:05 PM
Tornadoes happen more then Hurricanes, So i choose tornadoes

Rijuhn
05-14-2004, 01:58 PM
I voted volcanos because they spew out toxic gases as lava. Those most of them don't harm people when they do they destroy homes, trees and make the land the lava covered unusable for years.

Orion
05-14-2004, 03:34 PM
Tornados do suck (having been through one), but their damage is generally very localized, unless they hit a town or something (grr). Severe Thunderstorms can cause just as much damage too. Straight-line winds produce just about the same effect.

However, IMO, the worst would be fires. (not an option in the poll). Tornados might actually leave something salvageable behind. Fires do not.

Samson007
05-14-2004, 04:46 PM
OMG! You forget the single most devistating natural disaster!

THe 500 lbs women in a string bikini!

Ahhh!! THe Horror!

lol, if that was a choice, i would definately pick that one.

................just the thought makes me want to board up the windows.