PDA

View Full Version : Sad, but true

Foxy
05-13-2004, 12:20 PM
The Maxx family is in need of saving some money, so we're contemplating getting rid of Road Runner and switching to a dial-up server. (blah). Now my question for all of you is this: Does anyone happen to have a spare working 56K modem laying around that they could send us? We don't mind paying for one of course, but since we know all of you are so savvy in the computer department, we figured we'd ask first (since, after all, we are trying to save money ;)).

So...does anyone have a modem available? It would have to be compatible with Windows XP.

:)

Ich
05-13-2004, 12:22 PM
Froogle for 56k Modem, sorted cheapest to most expensive. (http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=56k+modem&btnG=Search+Froogle&scoring=p)

theplustwo
05-13-2004, 12:23 PM
I have one of those old modems that you have to set a handset reciever on in my basement... I don't think it's worth the price of shipping though.

Foxy
05-13-2004, 12:27 PM
Ich - I already looked there, I know what they have available. But as I said, we really have no spare money, so I'm asking first if anyone has anything for free. If not, we'll have to figure something else out. But right now, all I'm interested in is if someone has a spare one they don't need. I know $4 or $5 doesn't seem like much to a lot of people, but when you add shipping...and when you really have no money...it is a lot.

theplustwo - thanks, but you're right, it probably isnt' worth it. If we're going to go from road runner to dial-up, we'd like it to at least be up-to-date. ;) But I really appreciate the thought.

moocow
05-13-2004, 01:46 PM
I have an old 56k modem around here somewhere. I'll talk to my mom and see what she wants to do with it. :)

vegeta1215
05-13-2004, 01:58 PM
I have one I might be able to send. It's hardly been used at all. I'd have to have my mom bring it here this weekend (since I'm at my summer house now) I can't remember what model/brand it is though. Let me know if you're interested.

Foxy
05-13-2004, 02:10 PM
Sure, I'm interested! I mean...I'd be totally thrilled that you would do that for us. :)

DsS Game
05-13-2004, 02:13 PM
well if guys can travel to city I might be able to hook ya up with one. I have to charge for it though cause well I don't have money -.-

Foxy
05-13-2004, 02:22 PM
The master and commander has just taken care of it for me. Thanks, War Lord. We are forever indebted to you! :)

Thanks everyone, for your support and help!!!

*b*
05-13-2004, 02:32 PM
well, I was about to say I could ask my dad if he could find an old one where he works, but I see you've already got one coming

it feels like you're reverting back to the stone-age dosen't it? my dad had to get our broadband repaired a while ago, and we had to use 56K modem for a while :p

vegeta1215
05-13-2004, 02:47 PM
Cool, glad War Lord was able to help you :thumbsup:

Having dial-up is better than having no internet at all. Plus if it will save you some money each month, I think its worth it.