PDA

View Full Version : More Nintendo DS news, from USA Today.

Menokh
05-11-2004, 09:41 AM
I found this article linked from Slashdot. I found it interesting since it includes what might be an official image of the DS.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/lifestyle/2004-05-11-nintendo-ds_x.htm

Touch screen, clam shell design, bluetooth wireless technology! Very interest, I can't wait to see if this is all true.

Orion
05-11-2004, 12:41 PM
I hope thats NAM, that looks pretty sweet. having 4 buttons would make remaking Super Metroid quite easy :P. Though I'm sure they have plenty other better ideas for it. One must wonder if the GBA will fizzle out now that the DS has GBA compatibility.

Pangolin
05-11-2004, 12:46 PM
... It had better be true.
Although, I think we all guessed it would be a clamp screen, as two screens would be kindof big woithout it. But bluetooth Nintendo have already said. No more cables having to be bought! And as for the touch screen... *Drools*.
I imagine that it would be only one screen that touchable though. One for touchy feely, the other for seeie viewie...

Cloral
05-11-2004, 01:18 PM
The DS has slightly more processing power than the Nintendo 64
That's very impressive for a portable system.

vegeta1215
05-11-2004, 01:40 PM
I just finished reading that on Slashdot. The screens and buttons look nice, but the system looks kinda big though. Hopefully it just "looks" bigger than it really is.

Sounds like the DS will be pretty powerful, with better than N64 power. The estimated price tag is kinda high ($150), but not terribly high. The article hints that the PSP may be like $250! Now that's a lot.

Kairyu
05-11-2004, 03:44 PM
The DS has slightly more processing power than the Nintendo 64
That's very impressive for a portable system.
When I saw that, all I could think about was a Perfect Dark remake. I know, it probably isn't designed for true textured polygonal gaming, and Rare has left Nintendo, but for a moment, there was a VERY beautiful dream in my head... portable Perfect Dark... Ah well... Maybe there'll be something almost close to being nearly as good... I feel like crying now, excuse me please....

Anyway, this is pretty awesome looking. I wonder if there are shoulder buttons? I hope so. Otherwise, I don't think Super Metroid could be remade very well. And it looks like some new Mario Kart demo... maybe something closer to 64 or Super Circuit? Sweetness and excellenticity.

Edit: Waitaminute, what's this about games being stored on cards?

Melonhead
05-11-2004, 04:36 PM
http://planetgamecube.com/news.cfm?action=item&id=5289
Well, check out the logo. It looks like the official name is going to be DS after all. I hope its not really that big, but I'll probably get it anyway(I'm such a whore)

Dr4g0n0FCh40s
05-11-2004, 05:14 PM
Thats amazing... Who said nintendo was dead?

Melonhead
05-11-2004, 05:59 PM
For everybody worried about the size, this picture gives you a better idea:
http://e.1asphost.com/Eder/ds.JPG

Nintendo wins e3, hands-fucking-down.

Grasshopper
05-11-2004, 06:36 PM
Hmm, isnt' the PSP though going to be on par with the PS2? Or around that similar area in processing power? That would explain the price point.

But I noticed Wario Ware Inc and Metroid Prime Hunters coming out. Hmm, a touch screen + Wario Ware Inc. :) I can't imagine what type of games they'll have. :cool:

Melonhead
05-11-2004, 09:15 PM
Hmm, isnt' the PSP though going to be on par with the PS2? Or around that similar area in processing power? That would explain the price point.

But I noticed Wario Ware Inc and Metroid Prime Hunters coming out. Hmm, a touch screen + Wario Ware Inc. :) I can't imagine what type of games they'll have. :cool:

Hunters? I thought the name was Metroid Prime 2: Echoes....

King
05-11-2004, 09:41 PM
Hunters? I thought the name was Metroid Prime 2: Echoes....

Hunters is the DS game.

Melonhead
05-11-2004, 10:43 PM
Hunters is the DS game.

Yeah, your right. I figured that out about 12 seconds after I left my PC to do something else. Oh well.

MottZilla
05-12-2004, 03:30 PM
When I saw that, all I could think about was a Perfect Dark remake. I know, it probably isn't designed for true textured polygonal gaming, and Rare has left Nintendo, but for a moment, there was a VERY beautiful dream in my head... portable Perfect Dark... Ah well... Maybe there'll be something almost close to being nearly as good... I feel like crying now, excuse me please....

Anyway, this is pretty awesome looking. I wonder if there are shoulder buttons? I hope so. Otherwise, I don't think Super Metroid could be remade very well. And it looks like some new Mario Kart demo... maybe something closer to 64 or Super Circuit? Sweetness and excellenticity.

Edit: Waitaminute, what's this about games being stored on cards?

First off, yes the games are being stored on "cards". Discs are a major disadvantage with portable systems. Nowdays new technology and such, which Nintendo is using, allows for a large medium using little power.

Anyways, Perfect Dark is owned by Rare. I doubt you'd see it on the DS. Not to mention without analog sticks it's pointless.

Also, please look at Metroid Hunters. The system clearly is made to support 3D gaming. Technically speaking a game like GoldenEye/Perfect Dark could be done, I'm sure. Anyways..

Kairyu
05-12-2004, 06:24 PM
Ah, a few things cleared up. Memory cards, like camera-cards or something. I was thinking E-Reader style cards... whew. Over a Gig... PSP's is larger, with, like, 3x a CD-Rom's power... but you're very right, CD's and CD-like formats simply aren't a good idea for portable gaming.

I am truly amazed. This thing is WAY beyond my expectations for a portable system - I was under the impression that decent textured polygonal gaming on a handheld was still a few years off, and here they are working on an IMPROVED remake of Super Mario 64... Wow, I should pay more attention. And built-in wireless multiplayer... jeez, this is gonna be fun.

And Perfect Dark DS... yeah, like I said, it's not a possibility. I was just thinking about how freaking awesome something like that WOULD be if it was possible. Then I find MP Hunters. Just approximate Metroid Prime as well as it can, manage a good frame-rate give me something equivalent to a Skedar Slayer, and I'm pretty much sold.

I think modern games are spoiling me... a couple years ago, I might not have complained if the framerate on a game dropped below 20... now I wonder how I ever played a game below 30 FPS...

Pablo
05-12-2004, 11:24 PM
Gah, looks like a couple of painted-up Game Gears stuck together.

Grasshopper
05-13-2004, 11:42 AM
Over a Gig... PSP's is larger

Yep, indeed. I think I read up to a Gigabit. Thats only about 125Mb. But you have memory cards for cameras thats up to 1Gb, so I would assume they could go larger.

I was under the impression that decent textured polygonal gaming on a handheld was still a few years off

That depends on what you call decent I guess. :tongue: Don't forget the NGage. Yeah, I know its not well liked, but the graphics seem to be on par with the PSOne, which does look a bit better then the 3D portrayed on the GBA. But then again, these are a bit pricey for such a small thing. ;)

MottZilla
05-13-2004, 11:27 PM
Kairyu, Metroid Prime Hunters is supposed to run a smooth 60fps. Also, I know what yoi mean. Years ago, when N64 was top of the line, it didn't matter that much that GoldenEye and Perfect Dark dropped to horrid frame rates, we are talking less than 5fps with lots of explosions. Nowdays, that's totally unacceptable. Still, the poor framerate was also because of the higher detail. It's a shame they didn't have it adjustable.

Anyways, memories. :O

MANDRAG GANON
05-13-2004, 11:36 PM
Oh Wow...That design looks alot different and better than what I thought it was gonna look like. When I read how it looked before I got the picture it would look like this:
http://www.geocities.com/mandragtest/gameboyds.txt
Thank god it doesn't. Heh aren't you all glad I don't design Gameboys :D
That looks nice though.