PDA

View Full Version : What did you think of FF:CC?

Ganon's Minion
05-09-2004, 02:30 AM
Well, I know that there has been quite a lot of talk lately on all forums about the pros and cons of Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles for the GameCube. But there hasn't been a thread here devoted strictly to discussion about the game. So, I really want to know who thinks this game is/has:

a) worth the money
b) good graphics
c) good gameplay and controls
d) good value

Personally, I think this was a great game all around. I love it! And while you're at it, vote on the poll about how great/horrible you think this game really is. :)

Pangolin
05-09-2004, 06:33 AM
Its good, but its not a true FF game. The graphics are sweet, and the controls are nice and simple, but the lack of stats, turn based battles, other party members in single player, no real storyline, and no main character who's name has some reference to the wind is dissapointing. Its ok in single, but brilliant in multiplayer. But it just is too much of a hassle and costs too much.
Its also a bit too difficult in single player when you reach the end. For example, the sand worm boss in the Lynari desert is far too hard in single, as is The river crab in River belle path the third time you see it. Yes, its the first boss, but it uses Thundaga every three seconds, which has such a huge range that it most often paralyses you, preventing you from getting away from the next attack, which kills you. Add that with an annoying gopher/raccoon thing, and you're done for.
It's good, but it really needs to be a bit easier for single players. I'm sure it would be a doddle in multiplayer, but...
Well the ghame was designed fo multiplayer afterall...

Petoe
05-09-2004, 07:16 AM
All I can say is UGH! Once again a GCN game was a huge disappointment. The game was mediocre and I was expecting something better from Square because they were once again working with Nintendo.

FF: CC is like SFA. They both have fantastic graphics and good music, but everything else is bad. The game is too "basic" to be a FF game. No story, levelling up is unrewarding, the game is too repetitive, the damn crystal you have to carry... that makes the gameplay horrible and annoying. I wouldn't even rent this game, it's that annoying.

A) Worth the money? No.
B) Graphics are great.
C) Good controls... but the gameplay ruins the whole game.
D) ...

Orion
05-09-2004, 12:43 PM
As a single player adventure I thought it was a great hack-n-slash title with kind a neat magic system to it. Multiplayer was a ton of fun. It's by no means a bad game. It's not as epic as a "traditional" final fantasy, but you gotta appreciate the game for what it is.

Ganon's Minion
05-09-2004, 03:32 PM
Well thank you Orion. I realize it's a total matter of opinion but I don't like the sound of bashing Crystal Chronicles. But I suppose you must face the facts. It's not your typical Final Fantasy adventure, but I'd like to say that in response to Pangolin's comment, there is SO a storyline. Have you been paying attention. The myrrh is threatening the world! Anyways, I love it, and GCN has not messed up every game they have tried like someone said. (or something along those lines). I loved/love it. :thumbsup:

Grasshopper
05-09-2004, 04:18 PM
Well, I personally would not have bought it, if it was a typical FF game. As some of you may know, I don't like Final Fantasy. And I was happy with it because it was what Orion said,
a great hack-n-slash title with kind a neat magic system

It kind of seems that most people don't like it because its not Final Fantasy. Drop the name then. Just call it Crystal Chronicles :tongue:

aces2022
05-09-2004, 05:49 PM
It was ... sort of..... well...... weird. I would think of it a good maybe even great game if it was like maybe 20 or 30 dollars. NOT 50. But it is ok.

AssasinTenchu
05-09-2004, 08:45 PM
Ya.. doesnt make alot of sense to carry a bucket of water around a world.

Ganon's Minion
05-09-2004, 09:23 PM
In defense of the game, if some of the bashers of the game played it more, perhaps they would come to like it. That is my belief. And water!? Have you even played the game AT? :D

Orion
05-09-2004, 10:39 PM
If you're playin single player, you have your moogle to do it for you anyway. It's a lot like gauntlet in a way. And I like gauntlet.

*b*
05-09-2004, 11:02 PM
I loved FF:CC. the graphics are awsome. I think they could have made more areas and monsters, but it's really fun. since I only played it with my brother on multiplayer, it wasn't too fun, but one player is great

Pangolin
05-10-2004, 12:12 PM
The myrrh is threatening the world!
You mean the Miasma, right?
And thats just an excuse for all of the multiplayer to be on screen at the same time. In multi, its far too slow with someone carrying the chalice. Still, miasma gives a good enough reason for scary music in the miasma streams.

vegeta1215
05-10-2004, 05:40 PM
I only played it a few times over my friends house. It's a really neat game - reminded me of Secret of Mana a little. It's very different from your usual Final Fantasy, which is good in many ways, but bad for those expecting another game using the old FF "formula".

I thought it was kinda dumb how you have to create extra players so you could use all the shops in your hometown though.

Ganon's Minion
05-10-2004, 08:16 PM
The myrrh is threatening the world!

Yeah sorry, I meant miasma. And I sort of agree, I didn't like multi as much as 1-player for some reason. Perhaps it's because you have to manage a whole different character in multi, and can't port your one from 1-player.

BTW, I basically only use one in 1-player, a Clavat.

fatcatfan
05-11-2004, 11:30 AM
Actually, any saved game can be played in single *or* multiplayer, and there's a "bring a friend" feature that allows you to bring in characters from other saved games. They just have to be on separate memory cards.

If you really want to suck all the fun out of FF:CC, try to maintain four characters simultaneously in the same single player game. You'll quickly tire of playing the same stages over and over.

To add a real challenge, try creating and using new character in solo mode in a game which has advanced towards the end.

Pangolin, certain equipment protects you from thunder paralysis. That makes the crab much easier.

Anyway, I like FF:CC, but it wasn't everything I wanted it to be. At the very least I think there should be a means to exchange items between characters in a single player game without requiring two GBAs and link cables so that you can start multiplayer mode.

Pangolin
05-11-2004, 12:50 PM
I use a clavat as well. Or a Selkie that I'm training up. But the Lilties and... um, beak people are too rubbish in magic/attack. I want to like them, but they scare me when I see them against an enemy, as if they're going to shatter.

Grasshopper
05-11-2004, 06:39 PM
I thought when playing mp it would create a copy of your character and bring him over to the one-player's memory card for mp. Thats entirely wrong. I got together with a guy, and since I was farther, he transfer over to my card, and well...I still have his character, and he can't play with it anymore.. :tongue:

lord_jamitossi
05-11-2004, 08:02 PM
i still havn't beaten it. i got to the last (?) boss and lost interest. supposably there's a huge event at the end, but i havn't gotten around to beating him.
in short, it wasn't enough to captivate my attention.

DarkFlameWolf
05-11-2004, 08:47 PM
want to know how much I liked it? hell I'm making a friggin shrine out of it at rpgclassics.com:
http://tartarus.rpgclassics.com/~ffcc/
Its NOT finished yet, so don't come bitchin to me about broken links or unfinished sections. I'm getting to them! But once its finished early this summer, it'll be the number #1 spot for ANYTHING FF:CC. :)